It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hurricanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
im so pissed off that there is a tropical storm out there and that i live in fl and that there is always 5 or 6 hurricanes i hate em i just hate em and so you other states know they are crappy and not fun at all

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twix
im so pissed off that there is a tropical storm out there and that i live in fl and that there is always 5 or 6 hurricanes i hate em i just hate em and so you other states know they are crappy and not fun at all

Dude chill out. All cause your in florida doesnt mean your screwed. Especially over a tropical storm. IF it turns into anything big im staying. Keep in mind im only a couple miles from the bay and nearby a ton of lakes. We had the Cat 1 go over use last year. It was actually pretty fun. Youll learn after a coupld hurricanes you can have some fun out of it. Plus its a once in a lifetime thing.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Once in a lifetime thing in Florida hurricanes are not. Since '95 in east central Florida I have experienced hurricane conditions from 4 different storms: Erin in '95, Irene in '99, and Francis and Jeane last year, also we had near hurricane conditions in '99 when Floyd gave us a near miss. I live on the barrier island and the only storm Ive evacuated for was Floyd and ironically the evacuation was a waste. Not to mention the countless storms and depressions that have affected my area. And none of those storms were a direct hit which leads me to believe that my area is due for the eye of the storm to pass over, something I have yet to experience.

While a lot of people think im crazy or just plain stupid to stay when a storm is approaching, I know what this area can take and feel safer here than anywhere else, tornadoes from these system spin up everywhere so lets say I evacuate to the middle of the state and a tornado destroys the house or hotel I'm staying at, what a pointless evacuation that would be. Now when a storm that has winds over 115mph and the potential for 10ft+ in storm surge is heading my way I will be one of the first ones out. I know what my house and my neigborhood can handle. Last year when asked about evacuating I would simply say I recomend leaving but im staying and aint skeered.

My advice to anyone who lives in Florida who panic durring our storms, do us all a favor and move somewhere else or at least relocate when the tropics heat up. Hurricanes are a fact of life here in Florida and are the reason I studied meteorology.

PS edit: That storm is in the Pacific ocean, the odds of it even surving when it hits Central America is nil, and even if it does it will not bother Florida.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by jrod]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
irene was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yes JROD your right but I still would say its a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. Each storm is different. I wouldnt know how to explain it. Personally Im ok with hurricanes and hurrican parties.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Plus its a once in a lifetime thing.

A hurricane is a once in a lifetime thing??

Then I must have have lived three lifetimes last fall when Charlie, Francis, and Jeanne passed within 20 miles or so. And they weren't all cat 1's!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I guess I should have used the term amazing life experiance instead of once in a lifetime. LOL My bad. brain fart.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twix

As someone else said, that system isn't even in the Atlantic (and is breaking up). What happened last year in Florida was an anomoly. I doubt you'd see something like (multiple Hurricanes/TSs) that for a while.

And yes the Atlantic averages around 10 or so named systems 6 of which typically become hurricanes. Not once however, (in an average or above average year) have all hurricanes hit land.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
im glad im goion to md and pa for hurricane season and deer season ,AL.

new topics

top topics

join