It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIABETES

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Is there a cure for diabetes and other illnesses?
If yes, then why is it not being distributed.Is it because the government wants to keep the population down?
Any other suggestions?

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Is there a cure for diabetes and other illnesses?

There are cures for lots of illnesses. Just guessing here, but it sounds like you're asking if there are cures for genetically inherited illnesses/disorders like diabetes?

Generally speaking, the answer is "no." Illness resulting from bacterial or viral infection can be cured by killing the bacteria or virus. You can do that with drugs. Inherited, or acquired genetic disorders tho...to cure that, you have to be able to manipulate the human genome.

Efforts are being made to accomplish just that, to manipulate the human genome, but it's a fledgling science and cures are years, if not decades, away. For disorders of that sort, the most beneficial therapies available don't "cure" the disease, they treat the symptoms.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 11:30 PM
link   
All I know is that: if Americans continue to eat the way they do (huge portion sizes and twinkies...not to disclaim Twinkies here) we are all headed for diabetes.

The sugar is hidden in everything. My brother gave up sugar 2 months ago. He stares at the back of packages and wonders why a calcium pill needs to have sugar in it when your swallowing it whole anyhow.

With high fructose corn syrup (sugar sugar sugar) in almost everything, everyone is slowly turning diabetic.

For some reason this reminds me of a Simpsons episode where they ate pudding....and everyone got diabetes from it.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redsilas

The sugar is hidden in everything.

Hi Red. What you are saying is very true. I was diagnosed in December as a diabetic. Thankfully I am a Type 2 and can controll it with a Glucotrol pill.

You are 100% right about sugar being in everything! However, something I learned very quickly was that a major concern isn't just raw or table sugar. It involves starches and fruits as well.

I never thought about things such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and the like as "sugars". In actuality, they are. Once you consume them, they break down in the stomach and are converted into sugar. It is my understanding that even though the nutrition label may not list sugar as an ingredient, it is there. These are called "hidden sugars". Odd isn't it?

I have also noticed that more and more people are being diagnosed as diabetics. If diabetes is really a "hereditary trait" then how is it possible that those with no family history of this particullar illness and who eat properly are afflicted with it?

I have to question the truth of the labels on the foods we consume. Is the government allowing more sugars into our everyday food products than they are stating? I think they are. I also am inclined to believe that a lot of foods consumed may not list sugar but it is still used. While the labels are supposed to be factual, I honestly don't believe they are and probably never will be.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 07:39 AM
link   
There is no cure for diabetes. The ilness can be contolled with drugs and regular blood sugar tests.

There are two types. type 1 and type 2.

Type one is when you have to inject yourself with insulin everyday. That is very serious. Type 2 is when you just have to monitor your blood sugar level and take drugs. A family member has type 2 and so I know quite a bit about it.

[Edited on 12-8-2003 by Pocket]

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes almost 3 years ago. Weight problem sped up the genetic problem I got from my Father. Type 1 and 2 are both equally dangerous. Both if not taken care of can reult in some serious injury/death to the individual. What I've read so far and I have no links to back this up with. They are actually testing on animals now, a theropy that has inabled Baboons to start producing insulin again. The numbers are good to. Seven out of ten were successful. This for Type 1. They have also got a medication that looks good for blocking an enzyme (produced by the Liver and Kidneys) that interferes with the production of insulin for Type 2. A pill that can be taken once a day, but won't start testing on animals until sometime next year. Fingers crossed here.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought diabetes wasn't purely a hereditory thing. I know it used to be known as such, but now it isn't the case, as we have so much sugar in our diets. As for keeping a cure hidden, well maybe there's something in the pills/injections?
What better way to get something into a large grup of people than to make their lives dependent on it. Ooops off I go all consiracy mode again, wheres the coffee?

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by feygan
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought diabetes wasn't purely a hereditory thing.

Type 2 diabetes can be caused by a large excess of sugar in your diet. Due to the terrible eating habits of people, this is becoming more and more common. There are cases children are being diagnosed with this form of diabetes due to poor diets.

There is an experimental cure for Type 1 diabetes (the one that requires insulin). This involves the transplantation of donor pancreatic islet cells into the patients liver where they then produce insulin. So far, this treatment has a success rate of nearly 90%. However, patients must take anti-rejection (immunosuppresive) drugs which do have some unwanted side effects (increased susceptibility to infection and cancer). So, there is a cure but at the moment you just replace insulin injections with anti-rejection tablets.

There is no known cure for Type 2 diabetes and it's doubtful there ever will be.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm glad food has sugar in it. I have hypoglycemia (not enough sugar in the blood). Which makes me have to actually eat something with sugar in it to keep from going into diabetic shock. Unfortunately, there really is no treatment for hypoglycemia, only to make sure you eat sugar or take sugar pills or glucose paste from time to time.

I stick with Mt Dew and a snickers. Cause with hypoglycemia, snickers really does satisfy.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Stem Cells Key to Diabetes Cure

Diabetes sufferer Bob Marks may never again have to stick himself with an insulin injection.

Marks is part of a lucky group of about 100 diabetes patients chosen for a University of Pennsylvania clinical trial of a new procedure called islet cell transplantation. Still, Marks waited a year before doctors called to tell him they'd found a matching donor who could give him islet cells -- the cells in the pancreas that secrete insulin

www.wired.com...

some of you might find this interesting

top topics

join