It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot lets rider walk and fire just like Gundam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is cool I want one

Robot lets rider walk and fire just like Gundam

MAEBASHI, Gunma Pref. (Kyodo) An environment machinery maker has developed a robot that can be ridden and maneuvered like one in the animation series "Mobile Suit Gundam."

The single-seat Land Walker robot, standing 3.4 meters high and weighing 1 ton, can walk forward, backward or sideways at 1.5 kph by operating four pedals, and shoots sponge bullets from two air guns installed beside the cockpit, according to Masaaki Nagumo of Sakakibara Kikai Co., based in Shinto, Gunma Prefecture
www.japantimes.co.jp...

loq

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
wow, i wonder how much one of those runs for.
wuldent mind having a cuple just to have fun with freinds in

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That there is Exhibit A for the case for the remilitarization of Japan.

-koji K.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
If they are looking to remilitarize, I hope they would at least have the common sence to invite me as a instructor. What, with my knowledge of light, med, heavy and assualt mechs.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by ADVISOR]

Urn

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
heres a link with a couple of video's of this thing in action....
www.sakakibara-kikai.co.jp...

Klepto posted this particular link in this thread :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

going by the video of this thing walking, it could never make it across uneven turrain, let alone a flight of stairs...

definatly looks cool though

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It is awesome in faireness, it is the first steps in making a 'gundam' However I dont believe these will ever have millitary useage however it would be a good laugh to drive/pilot one of those things ! WOOHOO.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think the technology is really cool, I would love to own one, and have dreamed my entire life about piloting one, even if by remote.

That being said, we all know walking tanks are simply not comparable to tracked vehicles when it comes to reliability, stability, and weight allowance.

These things are too cool for war.

I think it would be an awesome display of power, but the actual funcionality leaves a lot to be desired.

If only that weren't the case...

There has to be some use for these things...

I just don't know what it is yet.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yeah, the tank designers try to shave an inch or two off the vehicle's profile to make it less vulnerable. This thing stand tall and proud at 12 ft or so
Makes a real nice and easy target.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
How bout cornfield battles?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
From the video it looked as if the thing moved on wheels concealed beneath the feet. If it could lift it's legs this would be quite impressive.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndigenousDave
From the video it looked as if the thing moved on wheels concealed beneath the feet. If it could lift it's legs this would be quite impressive.

It didn't enter my mind to look for a video but I found 2 short movies on this machine one of which I think you are talking about. the legs do look like they move on wheels.

Movie walking 2.9 mb windows media
Movie shooting 1.8 mb windows media

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I watched the video too, and noticed that it doesn't walk, but appears to roll on small wheels in the feet. I agree if it could actually pick its legs up and walk for real it would be much cooler.

I doubt it would be of any real use with it's little wheels since it probably can't even go offroad. It's still a pretty cool show piece.

On the topic of mech walkers if someone could build an armored fighting vehicle with this technology then they might have something. Its pretty low to the ground, and can travel offroad over rough terrain.

The Plustech Forest Walker

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If they made mech things, they should make them in the design of insects - much lower profile and more legs to suport the weight (in mud or something, two legs would make the thing sink).

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK_05_XM29
If they made mech things, they should make them in the design of insects - much lower profile and more legs to suport the weight (in mud or something, two legs would make the thing sink).

They can't. We don't have an adequate propulsion system to emulate insects -- the muscles!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think that Mechs could be used for the military. They can give tanks and infantry units extra fire power. For example say you have a squad of six tanks supported by 3 mechs with the same amount of fire power as an Apache or even more. That would dramatically reduce the need for foot soldiers for the squad. The only problem that they would have is movement but im pretty sure we could make them move as fast as tanks.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Haha, there was a huge discussion on the pros and cons of these 'mechs' in the weaponry forum. Their just etremely non-effecient, too high of a sillouette, easily taken out by a cheap RPG.

Those insect walkers, was that just on Discovery last night? I remember seeing that logging thing, pretty cool stuff.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It sure looks cewl.

I, too, was dismayed to see that its locomotion is more skating than walking.

I think the intimidation factor would be pretty high if these were presented to an angry mob or something.

As far as mech walkers go, 2 leggeds are just not stable. Most bipeds, especially humans, basically move forward in a sort of controlled fall. It is efficient because of our muscle and brain power. Evolution says that human walking is a sort of compromise based on several factors, including flexibility and cheapness.

humans are much slower than other animals. On the other hand, our walking is MUCH more efficient use of energy. Ute Indians used to "walk down a deer;" walk up to it until it darts away, then repeat the process. Eventually, after a day or so, the deer collapses and can by killed by archery. In the trackless waste of the desert, there is no archer for a hunter to hide behind. Many anthropolgists believe the Ute tactic may be similiar to that of our first ancestors, who triumphed not because of fangs or claws, but because of implaccable leg muscles. . . .

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is to make people think this is actually where the technology is at, concerning 'walkers'.

Popular Science was already talking about exoskeletons to equip on soldiers in the year 2001, before September 11th, people!

They were saying the prototypes they had going could be dropped out of a plane! So, imagining a type of exoskeleton that allowed you to:
mount a large gun.
still be able to lie down, take strategic positions.
jump out of a low-flying plane, helicopter, whatever, with minimal need for a parachute.

Did I mention mount a gun larger than any man could carry around with him?

Seems like a 'good' idea to me.

And Japan better get on that. They don't have forever, the schedule is tight.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I always wanted to make a real mech, maybe about that size... key word is real. I got scared that someone took away my dream, but when I read that it "walked" with wheels, I was relieved
Impractical? Yes. Fun? Heck yeah. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap square mile of land to goof around on? (seriously, even like junky desert land, let me know :roll

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If I was a house painter I could put one of these to good use.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join