It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act 2 Now In Session

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee is working on a bill that would renew the Patriot Act and expand government powers in the name of fighting terrorism, letting the FBI subpoena records without permission from a judge or grand jury.

Much of the debate in Congress has concerned possibly limiting some of the powers in the anti-terrorism law passed 45 days after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

But the measure being written by Sen. Pat Roberts (news, bio, voting record), R-Kan., would give the FBI new power to issue administrative subpoenas, which are not reviewed by a judge or grand jury, for quickly obtaining records, electronic data or other evidence in terrorism investigations, according to aides for the GOP majority on the committee who briefed reporters Wednesday.

Recipients could challenge the subpoenas in court and the Bush administration would have to report to Congress twice a year exactly how it was using this investigatory power, the aides said.

The administration has sought this power for two years, but so far been rebuffed by lawmakers. It is far from certain that Congress will give the administration everything it wants this year.
Roberts' planned bill also would make it easier for prosecutors to use special court-approved warrants for secret wiretaps and searches of suspected terrorists and spies in criminal cases, the committee aides said.

Eight expiring sections of the law that deal with foreign intelligence investigations would become permanent, they said.

So, too, would a provision that authorizes wiretapping of suspected terrorists who operate without clear ties to a particular terrorist network.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Isn't this the puchline the so called FBI can use to pretty much do whatever they want when it comes to invading your privacy. All they need to say is the magic words "we're investigating terrorism." Nothing else needs to be said, and no explanation needs to be answered. This was talked about before, but it looks like it's coming soon. Its made the headlines on drudgereport.com

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Dmtvisitor]

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Dmtvisitor]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Dmtvisitor, I don't know about punchlines, but could you please supply a link for your story?
Thanks

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I did already. Drudgereport.com

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I got this from Drudge website I think this is the article Dmvisitor is talking about.
GOP Aides Say New Patriot Act Obliges Bush posted to Yahoo News

[edit on 18/5/2005 by Sauron]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yeah, in the name of "investigating terrorism" all right.
And of course "terrorist" has a pretty broad definition nowadays.

Funny, I think the Bush administration fits the definition of terrorist pretty well. Look at all the fearmongering they're doing in order to shred the Constitution!

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Wow.. now there will be, if passed, more control of the Bush establishment. We all need security but do you not feel it may go a bit too far with his more enhanced version?

Dallas

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
If you haven't done so read the post I made yesterday headed - It Happened Once - Could It Happen Again. In particular the summary of what the changes to this act mean.

VERY frightening if we wish toi remain free.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I will find it hard to believe that they will pass this bill again, considering the controversy of the first one even by the republicans (even Newt Gingrich voiced concerns over the patriot act). Anyways we shall see, i hope not.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see what happens. I would like to think it won't get up but I am not so sure it won't.

new topics

top topics

join