It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: House Passes Bill to Scale Back Nationwide Color-Coded Terror Threat Alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The House of Representatives, 424-4, approved a bill that would bring significant changes to the Department of Homeland Security and how it operates. The bill, which will now be sent to the Senate for approval, seeks to change the current color coding system for terror warning for the nation, hiring of 2000 border patrol agents and a stronger effort to remove illegal immigrants from the country.

ap.tbo.com
Changes in the threat system were part of a wide-ranging $34 billion bill, approved by a 424-4 vote, that would set Homeland Security priorities for next year. It also would require the hiring of 2,000 border patrol agents - far above the 210 requested by President Bush - and bolster efforts to remove illegal immigrants from the United States.

Additionally, the bill directs Homeland Security to give more intelligence about nuclear and biological weapons to state, local and private-sector officials. It also provides $11 million to help research companies to deploy anti-terror technology more quickly without the fear of facing product liability lawsuits.

"We've had to make hard choices and we've had to set priorities," said Rep. Christopher Cox, R-Calif., chair of the House Homeland Security Committee.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I definitely agree that the current color code system needs to be changed. Warnings should be more specific, so that the entire nation doesn't get tired of false alarms or feel any unneccessary panic. More border patrol agents is also a must, if we are serious about this War on Terrorism, our borders should be secure. I think this is fair bill, of course in hindsight we'll say more can be done, but I'm glad it passed the house, hopefully the Senate will act quickly and we can see some real changes soon.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I watched Bill Maher last night and I think he approached the topic of the color coding system well. He asked, "How come all the terror warnings stopped after the election?" Hmmm, why is that?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
the color code system is joke... I mean what exactly is the average person supposed to do when it goes from yellow to orange? or orange to red?

I'm thinking we need two systems, a nationwide and state level for when they have credible non specific info vs credible specific info.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The colors are for the responsible law enforcement agencies really. They're the only ones who actually change anything when the color goes up. Think about it... we hit orange and there's cops outside all the tunnels again right?

The color system is completely irrelevant to the public. Are they being told to take up arms and find some terrorists or are they being told to buy bottled water and duct tape in case of an attack. Inefficient, in my opinion anyways.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
how about getting rid of the color coded system instead of insulting our intelligence. Terrorism isnt the weather, you cant predict it or rate it. Putting a little graphic on the screen showing the alert is promoting fear for the gullible (if even that... does anyone really get scared anymore?).

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
you can tell how scared people are these days when they hear an engine backfire, or a loud noise. The first thought they have is that the noise is a terrorist attack. instead of .. *shock* gunfire

I agree, why hasn't the terror alert system been used after the election?

You dont stop terroists by telling them yo uare at a hightened alert status. The public really doesn't need to know if Al-whoever spilled the beans on his cell and tells the CIA, FBI, Mossad, or MI-6 that they are planning an attack a specific target. You tell the local authories and mobilize neccesary manpower while little susie is blisfully unware there is any problem

anyhting ele causes fear and panic, and that is what the terrorists want

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Do we need a color coded system? No. We just need to be told whats going on.

Will we get a new, up to date, state of the art, more multi colored system then we already have? Oh yeah, baby! Get er dun!

The water is only ankle deep. So what. Lets climb the diving board and jump right in anyway.

Code Black-Head for the hills! Get out of dodge! The end is near! The nukes are coming! We're all gonna die! But what ever you do, stay calm. Dont panic.

Code Blue-Go to the nearest shelter ASAP and await further instructions. If there isnt a nearby shelter, pull as far off the road as is safely possible. Otherwise, continue to the nearest secure area and take shelter there. But whatever you do, dont panic.

Code Red-Stop what your doing. Close your business if it isnt vital to the country. (Whats vital and what isnt? Do we really want to go there right now?) Pick up the kids from school. Go home as quickly as possible and await further instructions. Oh yeah, and dont panic.

Code Orange-Continue your daily routine as normal but stay in constant contact with the ongoing situation by monitoring (or having someone do it for you) the radio, TV, ect. But dont worry; there is no need to panic.

Code Yellow-Check your emergency supplies and restock them as you see fit. Observe suggestions and evaluate the crisis and its impact on you personaly. But understand that everything is under control so there is no need to panic.

Code Green-Everything is cool. There is no reason what so ever to panic. Unless this is what they are waiting for; in which case you should see Code Black.

Okay, whats vital and what isnt? First responders and those within two professional positions of a first responder are vital.

Gas stations are vital.
Hotels and motels are vital.
Grocery stores, hardware stores, outdoor stores are all vital.
Superstores like Wal Mart and Target are vital to a degree.

Gun stores are debate-able.
Liquor stores and adult book stores arent vital but should be as a form of release.

Had enough? Nah!

The alerts could be given out in a number of ways;
Global
Regional (dividing the mainland US into 6 regions)
State
Area (a section of the state if the size of the state requires)
County/Parish
City
District (a section of the city)
Division (a smaller section of a city section)
Sub-Division (a smaller section of a full division)
Spot-just kidding

Or just scrap the whole thing and have three seperate codes good for all situations;

1. Dont Panic
2. Panic
3. Kill Yourself

Its simple. Its easy to understand. Its the best system.

And best of all, you dont need the government to use this system. You just look at the sky and make a decision.

Now, lets talk about my consulting fee. Or is it my INsulting fee? Either way, let me post my paypal link.

HJave a good day. And remember (everybody say it with me), DONT PANIC!

new topics

top topics

join