It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Secret American eugenics program sterilizes over 65,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This story brings to light a secret Eugenics Program that was undertaken by the medical establishment during the 1900's.
Certain doctors would routinely sterilize patients if they felt that they were "genetically poor" either in family history or in DNA disposition.

abcnews.go.com
From the early 1900s to the 1970s, some 65,000 men and women were sterilized in this country, many without their knowledge, as part of a government eugenics program to keep so-called undesirables from reproducing.

"The procedures that were done here were done to poor folks," said Steven Selden, professor at the University of Maryland. "They were thought to be poor because they had bad genes or bad inheritance, if you will. And so they would be the focus of the sterilization."

Even though the practice ended more than 30 years ago, some say the time has come to make amends. North Carolina was one of the first states out of 33 that once practiced sterilization to offer an apology. State Rep. Larry Womble is crafting a bill to provide financial reparations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think most ATSers have heard of the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment. There have also been many threads that alleged that a secret Eugenics program has been undertaken in the USA. This story seems to prove that theory correct if a little outdated.
The ramifications for this situation are immense.

Related News Links:
histclo.hispeed.com
www.inclusiondaily.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
State secret: Thousands sterilized in USA !!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

[edit on 18-5-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I also find it interesting that this went on for 70yrs and this is the first I have heard of it...

conspiracys are real... and are all around us...
I had heard rumors that they do the same thing in the military to women recruits who get pregnant and have an abortion.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well, great response from my first published effort...
thanks to all the naysayers... and all the no's

thanks for all the support...

[edit on 19-5-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
ATSNN posts are weird I find.. some topics get lots of responses when they seem like they shouldn't, and vice versa. This particular topic isn't that new though, a book came out a few years ago that "broke" the story on America's Eugenics policies. Actually, a lot of Harvard academics transferred their research to Nazi Germany in the 30's after they received a cold response in the US. The book is War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, by Edwin Black . Maybe you'd get better luck moving this to a non-ATSNN forum?

Don't give up, of the twenty or so news articles I've posted only 2 or 3 of them ever generated any discussion.

-koji K.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I've heard about this before I think, and it is horrible.

I think the lack of interest may be that it happened a long time ago and the government is apologizing for it and is planning to compensate the people affected.

I voted for it though, and I see it has been upgraded now, so don't lose heart Lazarus.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Oh gosh... didn't expect to be recognized...
I would like to thank (sniffle weep) God, my 3rd grade teacher, and the guy that serves my coffee at starbucks

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was amazed... I still wonder why some political bozo decided that doctors should be able to decide if someone should be able to breed.

Granted... there are thousands of people that I have come across that should be sterilized... single mothers with more than 5 kids, for one. I don't think people consider the ramifications for having kids that you are not responsible for... it breeds kids that are not responsible for how many kids they have...
and as long as a new welfare check comes in... it is all good.
I accept that america has those opportunitys... it just makes me sick when i see someone who abuses them...
my favorite quote is "they ought to require a license to have kids"...
I am for that... I am not for forced sterilization by doctor judgement and I can barely beleive our country used to do that.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
conspiracys are real... and are all around us...

This goes to show we are all not paranoid, this stuff really does happen. It is appalling, and difficult to accept. That's why we don't here much about it. But at least this one has been stopped, but there are many more conspiracies where this came from.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

first you've heard of it ? where were you yesterday ?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It's nice that government admissions like these can be the proverbial "red pill" for some folks, but you have to think outside the box. What are they telling you here with this unforced confession? That they used to do this but they don't do it anymore, they wouldn't do anything like that now, those were the old days. Mmm...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I often wonder if "things from the past" are truly stopped or just hidden better.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
It's nice that government admissions like these can be the proverbial "red pill" for some folks, but you have to think outside the box. What are they telling you here with this unforced confession? That they used to do this but they don't do it anymore, they wouldn't do anything like that now, those were the old days. Mmm...

Interesting point! Maybe they're trying to hint around that they USED to lie behind our backs and do nasty things to us....but not now! Oh no! We are reformed and honest! Who knows? It only serves to strengthen my assumption that 95% or more of the things Uncle Sam tells me are lies. After all, the government isn't some seperate entity that lives and breathes on its own. It is made of people and people lie, cheat, steal, rape and murder. Yes, by the way, I am always this sunny and positive!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Don't worry about it. It's because they can't start the Bush bashing because many of the partisan obstructionists' favorite presidents were "in charge" during such experiments. Otherwise you'd have dozens of responses.

This is what happens when zealots of any sort get into positions of power-mostly through academia. Like the animal rights folks who get out of control and start burning buildings or the abortion rights folks that start murdering doctors.

Even today, I hear this sort of talk. From the far right, and the more socially-acceptable-around-here far left. Each looking at their own belief system and thinking it's a good idea to sterilize everyone else. For the good of the Economy, or the Environment-choose your modern "religion".

Bah, and I'm not supposed to be proud of my German ancestry, as all Teutonic peoples are supposed to bear the guilt of Hitler...while those who point fingers back on WWII promote the same evils behind our backs.

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Well, great response from my first published effort...
thanks to all the naysayers... and all the no's

thanks for all the support...

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Forced sterilization IMHO is only acceptable in certain cases..... persons who are mental retarded.... and persons with severe mental illness, and only severely physically handicapped (when the person can't care for themselves).....these people can't care for theirselves.... much less a baby.

As far as the poor..... good and bad characteristics.....who determines what is good and bad ?? I think these reasons are based on social predjudices and are never acceptable.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Heard this on the news yesterday that since the 1930's the US had its own Nazi style eugenics program....

The US government IS the most evil and corrupt institution on the planet..

The land of the free huh?? Free to get sterilized!

Damnnnnnnnnnn

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTheLong

well its interesting they ae talking about paying reparations seems to me if the victims have since passed who would get money since you sterilized them means probably no children

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join