It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi Knights

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hello, I am a strong believer in the Force, and I do believe that many of George Lucas's ideas and theorys of one life force making one Force stem from many eastern religions. I was curious to find others who feel this way, especially one of the now millions of people who filled out their census religion as Jedi. I would love more information on being a real Jedi. Believe it or not I am not a star wars freak, i thought the movies were good, but I do not own any and I will probably just rent the Episode III movie when it comes out. I am, however, intrigued by the idea of the Force. Does anyone else feel this way? Thank you.
P.S If anyone has any information of lightsabers being created or attempted to be made please tell me.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
To build a lightsaber, first you're going to need to learn magic, because such a device cannot exist. It's only a movie and I don't see how this is a conspiracy in religion.

but thanks for all those warm u2us

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is a fake religion created by a (bad) scifi movie screenplay writer. Believing in the "force" and looking for Jedi is akin to wanting to join the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood or become a Spacing Guild Navigator and looking for the spice melange.

Here's something for you to ponder:

fiction (fik‚shƒn) n. 1. a. the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration, especially in prose form. b. works of this class, as novels, poems, plays, short stories, etc. 2. something invented or imagined, especially a made-up story.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why does nobody take this seriously, none of you know this for sure. And to reply to the person saying it is a bad screen play, that movie grossed over 20 billion dollars.... and then theres you who says its bad.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I did read an scientific article a couple of years back and some big wig physics guys studied the physics of a hypothetical light saber and they came to the conclusion that it may be possible in the future through quantum mechanics and lasers to build something on the level of a real light saber. This might be one of those cases where science catches up with fiction and turns the fictional item into reality. But even if it could be made a real Jedi Master would need to be found to wield it or at least someone that could use it without accidently cutting their own arms off – maybe that fat kit from the internet video will be ready by then.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by zerotime]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
okay man, if you really really really REALLY want to know how to build one...

Play Knights of the Old Republic, you can build one there, or maybe you could ask one of the smart people at UCLA where you work to help ya out, stop by the physics department and maybe they can set you on the right track, but you'll need to be able to travel to that jedi planet and get the crystals n all..

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm probably the biggest Star Wars fan there is, and I have to tell you that it's just a story. Lucas did loosely base the Jedi on some ancient Japanese group, and he borrowed a lot from mythology and the science fiction of his childhood.

As for building a lightsaber, there was a discussion on ATS about that on another thread, the general consensus seemed to be that you could probably build something that looked a lot like a lightsaber, but it won't cut through anything. (In the movies, at least the original three, the actors fought with painted sticks and they were edited later to glow)

that movie grossed over 20 billion dollars

Not at the theaters, it didn't. If you include all the toys, merchandise, etc, then maybe, I don't really know.

from www.supershadow.com...

episode 1: 925.5 million
episode 2: 648.3 m
episode 3: 0 (as of yet)
episode 4: 798.0 m
episode 5: 533.9 m
episode 6: 572.9 m
total: $3.4786 billion

The website doesn't say this, but from other figures I have seen, I believe that these include the re-releases of 4,5,6 in the late 90s.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Star Wars really isn't even original. Lucas himself will tell you that he just culled the ideas from those which already existed in mythology. You know, the "Restless youth", the "Great evil being redeemed", ect ect... The rhythm of the series was even taken from Shakespeare, the old "High point, low point, very high point" rhythm of each of the three chapters. A simple google search should tell you that much.

Star Wars, like the Matrix, is a fun movie that entertains each generation of children that grows up with it. These movies do more for advancing Special Effects technology and video game sales then influencing religion and saving the souls of the wicked.

As for the force, the only evidence I saw of such a thing was when I saw Leia in that metal Bikini during Return of the Jedi. For some reason, my pants became tighter.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a lot of the plot for the First star wars movie was directly taken from the movie "The hidden fortress"

I have built my own non-functioning lightsaber hilt. But really without the Force powers (which only a very very rare few can use even in the SW universe) the "jedi" or "Force" is nothing more then a modified eastern religion with it's named changed.

/as big a star wars fan as anymore else who says the same

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Lucas lifted/was inspired from an older space adventure. HIs jedi (and the green lantern corps infact) come from that source, not eastern religions.

I don't understand how you can fill your religion out as Jedi, but then not pay attention to the only thing that the Jedis are in. Seems like you are more interested in eastern mysticism than the Jedi and Sith.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
a lot of the plot for the First star wars movie was directly taken from the movie "The hidden fortress"

I have built my own non-functioning lightsaber hilt. But really without the Force powers (which only a very very rare few can use even in the SW universe) the "jedi" or "Force" is nothing more then a modified eastern religion with it's named changed.

/as big a star wars fan as anymore else who says the same

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I've been trying to remember the name to that freaken movie for years now! Its an old black and white film right?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yes, i think it was actaully a chinese or Japanese film. It was a foreign film i know htat for sure

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
OK, I'll play along on this topic.

Light sabres really do exist. They're called acetylene torches and they'll cut your head clean off. I guess that would make steel workers jedis. Who knew??????

Peace

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If you only knew the power of Tungsten Carbonite!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
okay man, if you really really really REALLY want to know how to build one...

Play Knights of the Old Republic, you can build one there, or maybe you could ask one of the smart people at UCLA where you work to help ya out, stop by the physics department and maybe they can set you on the right track, but you'll need to be able to travel to that jedi planet and get the crystals n all..

LOL, UCLA..isnt that this Film School?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I dunno, I don't work there

I'm a "tool booth collector", and I spend my days wondering if the glass is bullet proof or not.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Look, there is a "force".

No, I'm not crazy and no it can't be used to shoot lightning, etc. The "force" in the movies is very similar to the idea of Ki or Chi in martial arts. In fact the entire Jedi philosophy is very martial centered with much of it take from Bushido and the Samurai. There were always legends of the Samurai's prowess with a katana, the Chinese methods of animal kung-fu (jumping 40 feet or smashing metal with a finger), and even the ninja's mystique of turning invisible.

Let's face it, Jedi "force" is the same idea only brought to the screen no differently than Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon. Lightsaber fighting is not much different from Kendo or the practices of Aikido either.

So, there will be no lightsabers (unless you want masterreplicas or parksabers) and there will be no mind tricks...but there certainly could be the philosophy of the Jedi, which is not a religeon but more of a martial code.

This thread starter's idea is not much different than someone proclaming to be a...well, ninja for example.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

This thread starter's idea is not much different than someone proclaming to be a...well, ninja for example.

or a samurai for that matter.
mmm, I love thinly veiled insults

I'm a real life ninja.

hahaha.

/gigglefart

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I'm a real life ninja.

hahaha.

A really, really for real ninja?