It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NCAA Is Smarter Than Minorities, They Claim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, they don't claim it directly, but they are, essensially, saying they know what's best for a minority group despite the group saying otherwise.

The Seminoles are a Florida-based Native American tribe and a team name of the Florida State University. In 1997, the Seminole tribe gave Florida State University permission, and even encouraged them, to use their tribe's name as the university's team name. Howver, activist groups like the American Indian Movement and the NCAA are pressuring the university to stop using the “racist” imagery.

The Seminoles, on the other hand, are proud of the team name. "I have a problem with other native groups from around the country telling the Seminoles of Florida what is right or wrong for us," said Louise Gopher, education director for the Seminole Tribe of Florida.

This is getting crazy. Groups like the NCAA are telling people what they find offensive. Even if they don't find it offensive, they're going to force them. What amazes me is that people put the blame for racial hatrid and cultural intolerance on any group outside of these people training people to be offended. Just another example of the liberal elite (the believe like me or your an idiot crowd, not the average liberal) telling people how they should feel. Way to go, NCAA, bring segregation back to the US!

EDIT: Sorry, source

[edit on 5-18-2005 by junglejake]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Shouldn't surprise you. It's on talk radio everyday telling right wing ditto heads what to believe and what not to like.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL
Shouldn't surprise you. It's on talk radio everyday telling right wing ditto heads what to believe and what not to like.

I don't follow...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Why not? You have a group the NCAA telling the Indians what they shouldn’t like. Just like you have a bunch of people on talk radio telling the ditto heads what they shouldn’t like. Point is these groups don’t give a dam; they just want to bring attention to their agenda. It’s stupid and the NCAA isn’t the only one doing it, they all do.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ahh, now I get what you were trying to say. The difference between the two, however, is that I can change the dial any time I want to. The NCAA is going to court to force this tribe to comply with its mentality.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
They all do that when they can also. This country is so full of special interest and radical groups trying to get their agendas pushed down our throats in the name of political correctness, or what they think is good for us and morally correct.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Does that make it right, though? Should a minority dictate what the majority has to do because they're loud? Should a majority have to compromise their standards because a minority group gripes and complains often and loudly enough?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hell no it's not right! I agree with you 100% on this issue.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
We conquered the ingines, so why can't we use their names however we please?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty

Er...Is that supposed to be sarcastic? I really can't tell and don't have a mental political affiliation for your username yet, so I'm rather wary of making an assumption...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Does that make it right, though? Should a minority dictate what the majority has to do because they're loud? Should a majority have to compromise their standards because a minority group gripes and complains often and loudly enough?

Is this about the judicial nominations? The argument sounds awful familiar.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't want to derail the subject, but does the majority rule or not? I can't stand these PC spitting contests where someone is offended cause their race is mentioned, or some flag used to be flown over a state that supported slavery so we can't use it anymore. Ships used to carry slaves. I guess we should outlaw those as well.

Point in case....

Nothing derogatory in that statement but someone is bound to be offended by it.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by dbates]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's all Bull.

The truth is that they really don't care, Orginisations like the NAACP, and the NCAA exist only to raise money and try to intimidate your local congressman by saying your people want this.....

Between their own agendas, and the Control they try to excersize over people by saying "Think this way" they gain publicity that which equates to more money for their cause, and more power for them.

The problem is that OUR ELECTED OFFICALS do not have the guts to tell them to sit down and shut up.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dancer
It's all Bull.

The truth is that they really don't care, Orginisations like the NAACP, and the NCAA exist only to raise money and try to intimidate your local congressman by saying your people want this.....

Between their own agendas, and the Control they try to excersize over people by saying "Think this way" they gain publicity that which equates to more money for their cause, and more power for them.

The problem is that OUR ELECTED OFFICALS do not have the guts to tell them to sit down and shut up.

The problem if I may interject, is that the Politicians and the Organization people are well into each others pockets, well greased and power oriented social groups whose main objective is to define the world by their group terms. It's basic human nature, ie. greed and power, defined through herd rules. The elected officials get elected not because they deserve to be, but because they tell the most believable lies and have really good Public Relations people getting them into office.

I recently witnessed two public appearances by the newly elected Los Angeles Mayor,
did he talk to any of the people? No.
Did he have a group of 'civilians' holding banners and signs? Yes.
Did he talk to the press while the supporters appeared in the background? Yes.
He blantantly ignored the voting public while playing to the media machine, telling the most believable lies to the television sheeple, actually blocking access to public transportation while he did his thing.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

This third millenium is getting weirder by the moment.

Actually, mabye its not any weirder than the other ones. People with some power abuse it. People without it, well they're ok.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson

Originally posted by dancer
It's all Bull.

The problem if I may interject, is that the Politicians and the Organization people are well into each others pockets, well greased and power oriented social groups whose main objective is to define the world by their group terms. It's basic human nature, ie. greed and power, defined through herd rules. The elected officials get elected not because they deserve to be, but because they tell the most believable lies and have really good Public Relations people getting them into office.

I recently witnessed two public appearances by the newly elected Los Angeles Mayor,
did he talk to any of the people? No.
Did he have a group of 'civilians' holding banners and signs? Yes.
Did he talk to the press while the supporters appeared in the background? Yes.
He blantantly ignored the voting public while playing to the media machine, telling the most believable lies to the television sheeple, actually blocking access to public transportation while he did his thing.

Well Put - Bravo!!!

These Boso's work for US - They answer to US - Who do they think they are ignoring US, It is High time that they were held accountable to Us for their actions - and the High Crime of Ignoring Us.

The problem is you can't organize a Tea party now days let alone a group of people to impeach a mayor for that kind of garbage. America has become castrated by these goodie-goodie organisations and I question if they have the guts to revolt IF and WHEN it become necessary. By far it seems that if they don't have the desire to fight for their freedoms they won't have any freedoms left to fight for - Maybe they Deserve it.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I see no problem with the use of Indian names for a sports franchise. I don't see too many fisher men or boat owners enraged over the use of the Seattle Mariners, Christians aren't up in a frenzy over the New Orleans Saints. Here are some other names which take from a group of persons; Cowboys, Rangers, Texans, Cornhuskers, and my favorite Yankees. Even the government uses the word Apache to classify a group of attack helicopters.

These Seminoles are the most indegenous of Florida, so maybe there is some basis for using the name. Notice that Houston's baseball and basketball franchises have spaceexploration themes to them: Astros and Rockets. I wonder why?

Would would be wrong is if the called them selves the Florida State Blackfeet, which are found nowhere in Florida. REGIONAL names people, that's all this is.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Even the government uses the word Apache to classify a group of attack helicopters.

Excellent! Let's not forget the Tomahawk cruise missile either.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by dbates]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

These Seminoles are the most indegenous of Florida, so maybe there is some basis for using the name. Notice that Houston's baseball and basketball franchises have spaceexploration themes to them: Astros and Rockets. I wonder why?

Would would be wrong is if the called them selves the Florida State Blackfeet, which are found nowhere in Florida. REGIONAL names people, that's all this is.

The most bizarre aspect of this case is the Seminoles are fighting against the NCAA for the name. They want the team name to be the Seminoles, but the NCAA is telling them, no, you don't, that's racist and it upsets you. We'll protect you from yourselves because you're really offended but have suppressed it very well.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This over-PC garbage will be the death of the country.

The name is respected. There is no need for it to be changed.

The Seminole Indians have a long history in what is now the state of Florida. Many teams, as indicated by members above, choose names based on something that has had a tremendous influence on that area. The Pittsburgh Steelers, New York Met(ropolitan)s, Philadelphia 76ers, Washington Nationals... see the point I'm making here? They choose names that have a lot to do with the specific city.

I would understand the point if it was done in a mocking fashion. If they called it the "Injun dude with feather hat saying 'how'" fine. Kill it. That's offensive. But I have not seen anything disrespectful at all.

If you want to force protection on the Native Americans then by all means start protesting outside of Chrysler headquarters and demand they stop making the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Ban people from shaving their heads into Mohawks etc.

Maybe the descendants of the California Gold Rush people should be told that the SF 49ers need to stop using that name too.

Over-politically-correct spew.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Many teams, as indicated by members above, choose names based on something that has had a tremendous influence on that area.

Rerspected and Revered -
I think it goes beyond that, I think it is a complement to the Native Peoples
- Teams and companies choose their names with Pride and spirit - these are icons that they wish to be identified with. I (personally) wouldn't have anything to do with a team called the "Charlotte Slaves" and Who would buy their T-shirts? (Wouldn't ole Grandad smack the tar out of you if you did?)

All this Politically Correct - non-offencive crap is in itself offencive - No matter what is done, someone somewhere will be offended - let them get over it and grow up. It dosn't matter who you are or what you do - some one some where will dislike you for doing it. (I have several suggestions on what they can do, but this being a family board is not the place to mention them - although I am sure that everyone has some idea
)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join