It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer Virus Spews Neo-Nazi-Tinged Spam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If this is a repeat please delete(i did a search didn't see it)

from Associated Press:
The virus, first spotted on Thursday, sends out a blast of e-mail to addresses found on infected PCs.

Most of these messages contain links to news stories with content that "smells of right-wing political rhetoric," said Vincent Gullotto, vice president of McAfee Inc.'s antivirus emergency response team. But a small percentage contain links to a Web site that tries to infect visiting machines with the virus, he said.

The virus, called "Sober.q" by McAfee, is the 16th variant in the Germany-oriented Sober virus family that first appeared on the Internet in October 2003. Unlike earlier Sober viruses, this version isn't packaged inside an email attachment. Rather, it's being distributed by a Web site that automatically updates computers infected with the earlier, highly successful "Sober.p" variant, which began spreading on May 2.

Other variants of the Sober virus have been designed to send spam, but Gullotto said Sober.q has been much more successful than its predecessors, suggesting more such attacks could be ahead.From ABCnews.com

I have a question, i dont know much about computers but how come spammers and hackers(who do this sort of stuff) don't seem to get caught more often. Is spamming(any form of it) illegal? If it is dont we know who sent it, or is it more complicated than that?

Seems if we cant stop these nut jobs from doing it, were not gonna stop a terrorist 'cyber attack'. But like i said i don't know much about this stuff.

new topics

join