It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO to warn on changing Avian Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Looks like the virus has finally mutated. Although I am not particularily worried at this point, it is interesting how quickly this has mutated.

The WHO is to announce new research showing that the pattern of avian flu in northern Vietnam is consistent with human-to-human infection.

BBC News has obtained an advance copy of the study, which urges governments to bolster public health measures.

The new methods will be needed to protect against a new influenza pandemic, the WHO paper says.
In the first detailed assessment of this possibility, a WHO team says that the infection pattern in northern Vietnam may indicate that the infection is passing from one person to another.

LINK
news.bbc.co.uk...

I think the immediate danger is small, but the long term threat is great. This disease, Sars last year and Aids all are or were serious threats to global human life expectancy. Sadly Aids was not stopped. I hope we have the same success against bird flu as against Sars

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DDay
Looks like the virus has finally mutated. Although I am not particularily worried at this point, it is interesting how quickly this has mutated.

What do you mean it's interesting how quickly this has mutated? Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. H5N1 has been floating around since 1997, with a big resurgence a year and a half ago. There have been huge clusters of exposure, and evidence of the virus found in pigs, as well, which are a good middle man for mutation.

Anyway, this report should be interesting to read. I'll be looking for it

new topics

join