It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Flush Toilets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm sure many of you have been following the Newsweek article on GitMo which has been retracted with one of those Jane Fonda/Dan Rather "but" appologies. The question I have to ask y'all is if you still believe Newsweek doesn't have an agenda against the Bush administration and, as a result, an agenda against the US. This latest story to come out of their printing presses had only one unnamed source on a story which cannot be corroborated. Yet, beyond that, there's one major flaw with what the editors agreed to publish that no one has pointed out that I've noticed.

The plumbing on those toilets at GitMo must be huge! I know there is no way I could flush a book down any of my own. How does an editor get an article on his desk which says one unnamed source came out and said a Koran was flushed down a toilet and just publish it if they didn't have an extra reason to want this article to be true? It would be like me trying to publish an article saying a single unnamed source saw bigfoot. Those articles don't get published, but copies of the Koran which defy physics and can mold their shape to fit through toilet plumbing are accepted as obvious.

And don't get me started on the LA Times' response to this article. At least they said there was no way to corroborate the evidence and gave a source's name, anyway.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Given the fact that the pentagon saw the story, and gave permission for the story to be printed, and there has been numerous other accounts of Quran desicration to intimidate prisoners. Not to metion the Newsweeks only apologises for not correctly stating which report it was going to go in. It is jsut some conservative groups are blaming the riots in Afgan to this report as how horrible liberal media is. WHen in fact, no one is really sure why the riots started.

Also they do not have to be flushing toliets, but they could be simple holes in the ground you squat over, since i guess that is the more popular method. which would allow ample room for a book.

Toiletwatergate, flushgate, Desicrate-gate.. dont know what is offical yet

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The pentagon didn't give permission to publish the story. The US doesn't work like that. Newsweek submitted the story to the Pentagon and didn't hear back from them after 9 days, so they assumed that must mean its true.

Also, how do you "flush" something down a hole?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
You flush it as the Muslim's flush it, and has been reported as such, you rip it a few pages at a time.
No "power flush" required.

And its being dubbed as "toiletgate".

seekerof

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Whoa there...

an agenda against the Bush administration and, as a result, an agenda against the US...

What the hell are you talking about? Opposition to the Bush Administration is probably the best thing you can do for this country. That little coke snorting turd was raised on Nazi money, and has lied to us to lead us into a perpetual war against a noun. You want to talk about an agenda? Bwa-hahahaha. Yeah.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Whoa there...

an agenda against the Bush administration and, as a result, an agenda against the US...

What the hell are you talking about? Opposition to the Bush Administration is probably the best thing you can do for this country.

So reporting lies is acceptable if it hurts Bush? Siding with our enemies, the folks who want to blow all of us up, democrat or republican, is the best thing you can do for this country? Maybe we should start funding terrorism, then, since Bush says it's bad. Maybe the press should start writing stories about US Soldiers, on order, were using nerve agents on Mosques filled with only women and children whom they forced in there? That way, Bush looks really bad and a whole bunch of our lousey Bush supporting troops can get killed and we can finally elect a democrat into office again. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
"Maybe we should start funding terrorism"
Where have you been for the past 60 years?

Edit:
Besides, this story is older news than you think it is... The long and short of it is...Yes we did.

www.truthout.org...
Uh, people, I hate to tell you this, but the story about Americans abusing the Koran in order to enrage prisoners has been out there for quite some time. The first mention I found of it is March 17, 2004, when the Independent of London interviewed the first British citizen released from Guantanamo Bay. The prisoner said he had been physically beaten but did not consider that as bad as the psychological torture, which he described extensively. Jamal al-Harith, a computer programmer from Manchester, said 70 percent of the inmates had gone on a hunger strike after a guard kicked a copy of the Koran. The strike was ended by force-feeding.

Then came the report, widely covered in American media last December, by the International Red Cross concerning torture at Gitmo. I wrote at the time: "In the name of Jesus Christ Almighty, why are people representing our government, paid by us, writing filth on the Korans of helpless prisoners? Is this American? Is this Christian? What are our moral values? Where are the clergymen on this? Speak up, speak out."

The reports kept coming: Dec. 30, 2004, "Released Moroccan Guantanamo Detainee Tells Islamist Paper of His Ordeal," reported the Financial Times. "They watched you each time you went to the toilet; the American soldiers used to tear up copies of Koran and throw them in the toilet. ..." said the released prisoner.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by twitchy]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
The pentagon didn't give permission to publish the story. The US doesn't work like that. Newsweek submitted the story to the Pentagon and didn't hear back from them after 9 days, so they assumed that must mean its true.

Also, how do you "flush" something down a hole?

Wrong.. from the newsweek's statment about the retraction

Their information came from a knowledgeable U.S. government source, and before deciding whether to publish it we approached two separate Defense Department officials for comment. One declined to give us a response; the other challenged another aspect of the story but did not dispute the Qur'an charge.

There have been numerous reports from detainee's of the desicration of the Koran, this was the first time a source was from a non-detainee. The Offials could have easily denied it if it were not true. Instead they almost lay a trap for newsweek and only become outranged after the Afgan student riot about tuition and try to blame newsweek's article for the riot.

as for flushing i never read any reports about it being flushed down the toliet

I like to know where you get your information

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Opposition to the Bush Administration is probably the best thing you can do for this country.

This must be the most evil, biased, satanic remark I've ever seen on ATS! Is there an award I can vote on for that?

[edit on 5/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Disregard.
Pointless to debate this.

seekerof

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
as for flushing i never read any reports about it being flushed down the toliet
I like to know where you get your information

Uh, if you had read the link I provided, you'd see the information came originally from the Red Cross and the Independent of London.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Given the fact that the pentagon saw the story, and gave permission for the story to be printed, and there has been numerous other accounts of Quran desicration to intimidate prisoners.

I know you're not serious when you make statements like this...are you?

Just because the Pentagon doesn't bless everything the press report does not mean they give it an ok to be printed. If that were the case do you think Abu Grev would ever have gone to press?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I saw inmates flush sheets in one county jail (Toilets were same model as the FL prision system uses Sink/toilet combo made out of Stainless Steel)
So, If the Toilets at GitMo are the same ones used in the FL Prison system, I can assure you that they could easily flush a book. I have a copy of the Koran on my shelf - it measures 5*3*1 so it would go down - probably in a single flush.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Opposition to the Bush Administration is probably the best thing you can do for this country.

This must be the most evil, biased, satanic remark I've ever seen on ATS! Is there an award I can vote on for that?

Yes, it's called "Way Above". I already usd up my votes for the month, otherwise I'd press this button.

What's "satanic" in stating that the President who sank the country into astronomical debt and got us into the war on patently false premises is probably not a good President? Huh?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
What is it with the Government & "water" anyway?

Watergate
White Water

...Now it's toilet water...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Geez, flushing sheets down the toliet?! I live in Florida, but luckily not within the prison system, and I sometimes get problems when flushing paper towels down (hey, come on - sometimes you run out and gotta use something!) Having been to nearly every state and over 30 countries, I can't remember a toliet remotely capable of sucking down a book, especially one as thick as a Koran (In fact, my experience has been that toliets outside the US tend to be on the more water-conservative, and thus less powerful side.)

The media is clearly overwhelmingly anti-government and/or anti-Bush because that's what sells (the average dingbat hates whatever current gov't is in office because hey - "the gov't runs the IRS so they take my money", etc.) and apparently its "hip" to be anti Bush or anti-gov't. Human Events and the National Review are still decent publications, however. Of course, you'll always get the yada yada anti-Bush sentiment is because of an "illegal war" in Iraq solely due to oil, but guess what folks - we need oil (it's used in nearly every manfactured good, not just gasoline... and, not to mention the UK is a net exporter of oil, meaning any price stabilization would hurt its economy - why are they the US's chief ally?) and if you looks at its economics, read the latest issue of Forbes which goes through it transparently and logically, Even if oil were free gasoline prices would rise only about 15%. Taxes and refinement take the bigger pie slices of the gasoline price hike (consumers buy gasoline by the gallon, not oil by the barrel). The original poster is correct, it is difficult for leftist press to respond to logic and facts.

err, sorry, that is to say free oil would lower, not raise.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by AlphaHumana]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The source of Newsweek's article is debatable, but flushing a Koran down the toilet would be easy. Just use a pocket size version

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The one I have is a little bit bigger than that one, but not much...

------Toilets/Water Waste----------
I can't say much for toilets in other countries, I recall one in Taxco that you'd have to wait 5 minutes between flushes due to the altitute of the place.

How many times have you driven past a local Governmnt facility and seen the sprinklers on during a rain storm?

Yet the inmates shower daily, for as long as they want (82,000+ Showers / Day) or they get flack from other inmates for not bathing. (Heard that if they miss 2 days in a row they will be carried to the showers by inmates)
No, I don't have a problem with letting them shower - it's the blatant waste of water by Govt institutions as they scream "Conserve Water" and fine people who water their grass on the wrong days.

I thought it was a sad state of affairs when I was working in the Prison system the John at work used a LOT of water to flush. One flush would do the job and then some. (If you've never used one of these, I hope you never have to.) You can see one in this tour -
www.dc.state.fl.us...

When I remodeled my place, I got a new toilet (2.5 Gal per Flush) - Can't seem to find a superflusher anymore. When that didn't work, I had the RR folks come in and clean out the pipes all the way to the street (Never had that problem before). So now I gotta hit the handle at least twice to get rid of the yellow, and more than that to release a brown trout. Now I'm wasting more water trying to conserve water than I was before.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Geez, flushing sheets down the toliet?! I live in Florida, but luckily not within the prison system, and I sometimes get problems when flushing paper towels down (hey, come on - sometimes you run out and gotta use something!)

Ain't batchelor life romantic?

Also, dbates, I'd be willing to buy and ship to you a pocket sized Koran if you could video tape that little book actually being flushed by a toilet. I don't think it'll go down, at least down any toilets I've seen.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
That little pocket sized koran, dbates, is 4"x6" and 1098 pages!

And yep, Junglejake, bachelor life does indeed have its simple charms
paper towels, the NYT... at least I'm not using the "three seashells"

[edit on 20-5-2005 by AlphaHumana]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join