It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

eliki

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Eliki (Helike, Helice) was an ancient Greek city located at the mouth of the River Selinus on the southern shore of the Gulf of Corinth.an earthquake destroyed the city, sending it to the depths of the sea.
According to Strabo, Eliki was home to the Temple of Elikonian Poseidon, and a huge bronze statue of Poseidon was left standing in the strait after the earthquake submerged the city and all its people. In the Iliad, Poseidon is known as Lord of Helike.
Archaeologists have long been interested in finding the lost Eliki. Thanks for reading, please give me your views!!!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Paranoid Pain]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Good find
You mention the city was submerged, could this be a reference to the lost city of Atlantis?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
nah, theres nothing to do with atlantis here, look at an ATLANTIS thread if you want info on atlantis

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here is a link that you may find interesting. It looks like they "discovered" Helice in 2001 and are in the process of doing a dig.
The Helike Foundation

Also, the city was mentioned in a discovery channel special on Pompeii. which was close to where Helice was located.

The link below has some information on the digs going on in and around Pompeii
Pomeii Digs

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
actually, there have been some speculation (on the web) that Helice may have been Atlantis but it does not fit the discription. Do a quick Google search on Helice and you will find links on that.
Dang can't spell for nothing today!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by kenshiro2012]

[edit on 18-5-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
im sorry, i should have included a link to the site i got the info from!(thanks springer) so here it is www.eliki.com...

(edit to fix link)

[edit on 18-5-2005 by pantha]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Either theres something wrong with my computer or that link doesn't work

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
im sorry, i had to edit my post( im ashamed, i copied and pasted)

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paranoid Pain
im sorry, i had to edit my post( im ashamed, i copied and pasted)

What a shock!
As if it wasn't completely obvious! I mean I'd never have guessed.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Anyway it could be Atlantis, we've never found Atlantis so how can you completely dismiss the idea that a lost, ancient, submerged city could be Atlantis?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
After 8 days my question still hasn't been answered by PP. Makes you think.............................

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
well, it could be atlantis, but theres no info on atlantis on the site i looked this up on! does anyone know what part of the world atlantis or eliki are meant to be in?
we could check if atlantis IS eliki. i might google this later

new topics

top topics

join