It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about ships guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I was wondering if modern destroyers and cruisers can used their guns against other ships? I know this may sound like a stupid question but it seems like the guns on monden ships are used for targets on the ground rather than at sea.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Oh yes, deffinately.
Although the latest anti-ship rockets and torpedo's are much more effective, old-fashioned guns are still added to ships, just in case. Even the latest stealth destroyers have a big gun.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thanks for the info but I was wondering if the modern ships can use their guns againts other ships.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
Thanks for the info but I was wondering if the modern ships can use their guns againts other ships.

Yes they can, but modern guided missiles are more effective.

VIEW FROM THE CARGO HOLD

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Your right about the guns. These days most of the guns on warships are pretty small. I think most are in the 40mm to 150mm range.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Guns between 20mm-57mm are AAA and between 76mm-130mm they are multipurpose.. so they can be used against land, naval and airborne targets.. if their fire control systems permit this.. just a matter of electronics.. but if they are of manual control.. well then you can TRY shot at any thing you wish..

As i was in army 1999-2000 i servet as Corpral in Finnish costal altillery (as a fire controller for 3 ZU-23-2 cannons) .. any ways .. place witch i served last 6 moths was this Fort on a island and there were these 130mm costal gun and their fire contol system were such that you could shot 30km away direct hits at ships and were told that they could even track and shoot down helicoters in flight.. i was allso once as spectator when there was live firing with these guns.. the flame and blast was awesome..
Even 100m behind the gun turret as it fired..
This is link to show you what kind of gun it was.. -> www.mil.fi...

[Edited on 4-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The only naval rifles (artillery) in use in the U.S. Navy today are 5 inch and 76 mm. They can both be used on other ships, but shame on you if you let one get that close.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:23 AM
link   
besides the small calibre guns, the majority of modern ships are fitted with the phalanx, or goalkeeper, close in weapons systems, it's basically a 6 barrelled general electric gatlic gun, wired up to a radar and sensor array, these can shoot incoming missiles, aircraft or at other ships, they fire between 6 - 10,000 rpm and are usually 20 - 25mm depleted uranium rounds, which would make a real mess of just about anything.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by octopus
besides the small calibre guns, the majority of modern ships are fitted with the phalanx, or goalkeeper, close in weapons systems, it's basically a 6 barrelled general electric gatlic gun, wired up to a radar and sensor array, these can shoot incoming missiles, aircraft or at other ships, they fire between 6 - 10,000 rpm and are usually 20 - 25mm depleted uranium rounds, which would make a real mess of just about anything.

They also pick out the biggest chunk and keep shooting at the biggest chunk as the target distintegrates.

NAZI ANTARCTIC UFO'S

top topics

join