It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a while ago, i saw on the news that a meteor was going to hit the earth in 2019!
im not very good at knowing or remembering stuff, but i think it said that even when it goes through the earths atmosphere, it will still be a MILE long!
that means if it hits the earth, a giant dust cloud will choke everyone and if it hits the water, a huge tsunami will wipe everything out! please tell me if you know anything more or if you have any views

[edit on 18-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Sorry but anyone that comes up with fear of meteors is a fool brainwashed by the illuminati to believe in evolution theory.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
why? i dont understand at all! why cant you have a fear of meteors?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yes this is something i did hear about. back in 2002 it was first discovered

Space rock 'on collision course'

An asteroid discovered has become the most threatening object yet detected in space.
A preliminary orbit suggests that 2002 NT7 is on an impact course with Earth and could strike the planet on 1 February, 2019 - although the uncertainties are large.

Astronomers have given the object a rating on the so-called Palermo technical scale of threat of 0.06, making NT7 the first object to be given a positive value.

From its brightness, astronomers estimate it is about two kilometres wide, large enough to cause continent-wide devastation on Earth.

TPL

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
What happened to it? Usually these things usually get cleared of the watch list within months or even weeks of observation.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
Don't worry about it PP

.......but there's still a chance it could hit us.

Seriously though

Discovered on July 9, 2002 by the LINEAR team, asteroid 2002 NT7 is in an orbit, which is highly inclined with respect to the Earth's orbit about the sun and in fact nearly intersects the orbit of the Earth. While the orbits of Earth and 2002 NT7 are close to one another at one point in their respective orbits, that does not mean that the asteroid and Earth themselves will get close to one another. Just after an asteroid like 2002 NT7 is discovered, the limited number of observations available do not allow its trajectory to be tightly constrained and the object's very uncertain future motion often allows a very low probability of an Earth impact at some future date. Just such a low probability impact has been identified for February 1, 2019 and a few subsequent dates.

I think we'll all be just fine. And if we're not, we'll be dead. And everything will be just fine.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
Sorry but anyone that comes up with fear of meteors is a fool brainwashed by the illuminati to believe in evolution theory.

What's the connection between meteors & the theory of evolution?
At any rate, anyone who is so easy with dismissing any idea is obviously not embracing the "Deny Ignorance" motto here...Summary dismissal is the first knee-jerk response of those who embrace ignorance.

If you'd like to find out what some of the world's most brilliant minds in astrophysics think, try perusing this website.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Looking at the moon is enough to see why

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Okay nobody worry....I've cleverly created a work of fiction that will describe the comets impact. You can all read about it Here
And lets all welcome Paranoid Pain back to the fold, from his long absence. Luckily I was able to convince him to return. Is there anything I can't do?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Oh my god!!! Everyone go here now!!! This is hard-evidence!!! we're all going to die!!!................s'n-word' s'n-word'.......you're going to be so mad after your finished with this site.....but don't do anything rash......ok Asala?.....now click the link.s'n-word' s'n-word'

*bursts out laughing*
EDIT by Springer - Link was crashing computers... You just can't get good fun on the net anymore unless it's ATS.

[edit on 5-23-2005 by Springer]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
People worry about meteors to much. I read someplace that we have more chance of getting hit by a meteor within the time between 2019 because so many meteors are undetected. Its stupid to worry over 1 out of a million meteors all because we can see this one.

But we can prevent them from hitting is in the case of us seeing it. But most meteors are clust meteors which nukes and other methods of blowing it up would be useless.

E_T

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paranoid Pain
but i think it said that even when it goes through the earths atmosphere, it will still be a MILE long!
that means if it hits the earth, a giant dust cloud will choke everyone and if it hits the water, a huge tsunami will wipe everything out!
What atmosphere? For larger than than few hundred meter sized objects atmosphere doesn't really matter, even if it breaks up in the air (like Tunguska) it's equal to biggest thermonuclear bombs.

www.space.com...
www.space.com...

www.lpl.arizona.edu...

PS. I think this would belong to Space forum.

E_T

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
People worry about meteors to much. I read someplace that we have more chance of getting hit by a meteor within the time between 2019 because so many meteors are undetected. Its stupid to worry over 1 out of a million meteors all because we can see this one.
Absolutely... I wouldn't worry about meteors because meteors are caused by that small excessive stuff from birth of solar system, like chunks of rocks, small pieces of rock and sandgrain sized stuff which are called as meteoroids. (their small size makes finding them impossible)
When they hit to atmosphere they cause meteors aka shooting stars... bigger ones like chips of rock above few centimeter size cause bolides aka fireballs.
Object is called as meteorite only when it survives to surface.
Asteroids are solar system's objects which are bigger than meteoroids, there isn't exact "standardized" size limit but at least 50 meter sized objects are generally kept clearly as asteroids.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Oh my god!!! Everyone go here now!!! This is hard-evidence!!! we're all going to die!!!................s'n-word' s'n-word'.......you're going to be so mad after your finished with this site.....but don't do anything rash......ok Asala?.....now click the link.s'n-word' s'n-word'

*bursts out laughing*
Oh my god

dang i accutally clicked on the link it wouldn't stop the pop up thing. i had to press ALT+CONTROL+DELETE to get out of that thing.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeboiabe

*bursts out laughing*
Oh my god

dang i accutally clicked on the link it wouldn't stop the pop up thing. i had to press ALT+CONTROL+DELETE to get out of that thing.

Ha ha ah aha! Like a fly to honey! Of course I didn't mean it for a fellow writer, I thought writers had more sense.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
People worry about meteors to much.

Very true.

Absolutely... I wouldn't worry about meteors because meteors are caused by that small excessive stuff from birth of solar system, like chunks of rocks, small pieces of rock and sandgrain sized stuff which are called as meteoroids. (their small size makes finding them impossible)

How true, how small.

When they hit to atmosphere they cause meteors aka shooting stars... bigger ones like chips of rock above few centimeter size cause bolides aka fireballs.
Object is called as meteorite only when it survives to surface.

Ahhh! surface.

ok ET, now, why has the mystery of the origin of tektites plagued scientists since anyone can care to remember?

Why is there such a inconclusive answer to their origin?

Because I've studied both the terrestrial and the extra-terrestrial views, I'm not interested in your opinion of where they came from, that is, unless you're willing to entertain an alternate answer.

Are you?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeboiabe

*bursts out laughing*
Oh my god

Ha ha ah aha! Like a fly to honey! Of course I didn't mean it for a fellow writer, I thought writers had more sense.

I knew it was something from funny junk i just was curriouse what it was on funny junk

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Hmm, Atomix, I missed the part where an annoying pop-up trick related to meteors. Care to enlighten us?

Yeah, don't waste our time.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Okay I know I may not have conducted myself diplomatically with you in the past, but I did say I'm sorry, didn't I?

Please don't ignore me, ok?

Just objectively look at the evidence for glass.

Take your feelings out of the equation.

Remember, "understanding is a 3-edged sword."

God Bless You, E_T..

p.s. an enemy multiplies kisses, but wounds from a friend can be trusted.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Plumbo]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join