It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capturing a Unicorn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I am working on a piece of literature, and was hoping you guys could maybe help me out. I need information about the theory that a unicorn cannot be captured, except by a pure maiden. So are they truly unattainable? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! *hugs*

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   
With all seriousness. I thought that if you could break off a unicorns horn you gain the power to capture it? I dont know the source but I have heard of this method.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
i had read that unicorns were not so very cute and cuddly. while they can be quite nice, if their space is ecroached upon by people, then the unicorn can ract violently, often resulting in the death of those that came too near. as for capturing one, they are said to be magical beasts, and so, some sort of magice will likely be needed.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
if im not mistaken, i though the maiden was supposed to have some special rope or it be tied in a certain way in order to subdue the beast. I remember seeing some old painting depicting this but again im not sure.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The Unicorn Tapestries in a cloister in NYC Illustrate the process (and keep your castle cozey) in seven scenes.

www.fordham.edu...
The theme of the tapestries is the fight between the unicorn and the humans who peruse it.

The first tapestry, The Start of the Hunt, introduces us to the hunters but not the unicorn. The hunters are not dressed for hunting, but rather in clothing in rich colors and textures.

The second tapestry, The Unicorn at the Fountain", is where the unicorn uses his magical horn to remove the snake's venom from the water. It is here that the theory begins that the unicorn is a symbol of Jesus Christ. Here the unicorn, Christ, saves all from the snake's poison, Satan. Even the humans who were hunting the unicorn are awed by this act.

The third tapestry is The Unicorn Leaps the Stream. Here the serenity of the second tapestry is abandoned as one looks at a highly charged action scene. The hunters now have ugly and cruel faces--symbolizing the persecutors of Jesus Christ.

For the fourth tapestry, The Unicorn Defends Himself, the unicorn becomes savage, kicking and butting people and animals. A new comer to the scene, a man with a horn, is thought to symbolize the archangel Gabriel.

Unfortunately, the fifth tapestry, The Unicorn is Captured by the Maiden", is now in fragments because of mishandling over the years. According to tradition, the unicorn can only be trapped by a virginal maiden. The enclosed garden that the two are in, was a medieval symbol of chastity. Also, the apple tree in the center of the tapestry has many religious meanings. The most obvious is a reminder of the Fall of Adam and Eve, hence suggesting that the unicorn, Christ, and is the Redemption after the Fall.

The sixth tapestry,The Unicorn is Killed and Brought to the Castle is wrought with emotion. The overall scene is centered the slain unicorn, who is bleeding in the upper left hand corner. All in the scene seem to be awed and shocked by the sight of the slain beast being brought towards them.

The seventh tapestry, The Unicorn in Captivity is the most famous of all the Unicorn Tapestries. The unicorn here is miraculously alive again. In this tapestry he rests chained to a circular wooden gate. The rise unicorn is symbolic of the risen Christ. However, since the unicorn is chained there is some confusion to this symbolism. One theory is that the unicorn, like Jesus Christ, is linked to life or humanity forever. The other theory is that the unicorn symbolizes a bridegroom secured by his lover.

The hunters

The unicorn is spotted in its realistic natural habitat, with other accurately rendered animals and, er, ornate fountains

Unicorns are bad ass, because even lions just sit there in awe

Big cartoonish spears are good for getting them

You can kill it and bring it back to the hood

Even tho it can be killed, it'll just rise up again

If you can get to NYC, you should defintly check it out. There is a lot of detail in the Tapestries the describe lots of aspects of the Unicorn Hunt. It should help you greatly if you are writing about a unicorn hunt, especially since, as I understand it, this is the actual medeaval understanding of it.
You can also check out this page
www.metmuseum.org...

Inside the Cloisters.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Thats some beautiful artwork. But the way its painted seems very weird.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ummm are you people actually saying that unicorns really exist? I'm all about believing in Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, aliens, etc... But a unicorn?

I've NEVER heard of anyone seriously saying that unicorns do exist, or any sightings of unicorns. Assuming that you are alleging the existence of unicorns, do you have any links? Some documented sightings or pics maybe???

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Horned mammals aren't exactly unique, so a horselike one shouldn't be too surprising. Perhaps they did exist at one time? If so, they were likely hunted to extinction, perhaps just like whatever inspired the legend of dragons.

Also, if the horn wasn't of bone, it's possible that some fossils we think of an horselike creatures just may be the lost unicorn...

Still, I'm sure it's a "what if?" paper more likely....

One certainly can't argue that like dragons, unicorns are depicted by a variety of ancient peoples, so there had to be SOME basis for this legend...

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
Thats some beautiful artwork. But the way its painted seems very weird.

They're tapestries. They are giant 'rugs' that are woven, by hand, and made to be hung from walls. When a building is just uninsulated brickwork and masonry, it needs something to keep the drafts out.

Rasputin
I've NEVER heard of anyone seriously saying that unicorns do exist, or any sightings of unicorns

There's just as much evidence for them as their is dragons. That is to say, none. But simiilar logic applies. There are unicorn myths everywhere, and it doesn't seem like its beyond beleif that something like a horse can develop the lenghtend tail and the horn. I mean, bigfoot is just as ridiculous and absurd, but people accept it. Unicorns don't have a 'fan base', so to say, that wants it taken seriously, outside of pre-teen girls who are constatly drawing them.

Also, look at the first tapestry. These people presented agreed-upon-as-existing animals in accurate detail, and right along with them is the unicorn. They aren't presenting it as a myth. I don't think the things ever existed, or dragons, or the nessie is a plesiosaur, but still, its not any more absurd than lost of other 'popular' crpytids.

It sounds like the OP is writting a 'romance', a novel, a story about it, not a research paper.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
When is unicorn hunting season? And what is the best way to BBQ one? I am thinking of hosting a BBQ as a PETA fundraiser.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Space_CowBoy33
i had read that unicorns were not so very cute and cuddly. while they can be quite nice, if their space is ecroached upon by people, then the unicorn can ract violently, often resulting in the death of those that came too near. as for capturing one, they are said to be magical beasts, and so, some sort of magice will likely be needed.

That's why, when I go unicorn capturing, I bring my 30 odd 6. If it's not being violent, I shoot the horn off and have me a unicorn. If it is being violent, I shoot the head off and have a unicorn, albeit a dead unicorn. Either way, a 30 odd 6 really helps in capturing a unicorn

Hope I helped

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Hehe... thanks for all the replies! Good thing I have a sense of humor!
Those tapestries were used in the opening credits of the movie "The Last Unicorn". I recognized the one where he's dipping his horn into the fountain right away... I'm just full of useless information! And yes, it is a fictional piece, but I won't throw out the possibility that they did exist at one point in time. The world can always use a bit of romanticism!

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
From Greater Faydark, go to Lesser Faydark. Make sure you consider them before approaching, so they won't aggro on ya. If so, make sure you have invisible, sneak or hide on. Move up, being careful not to attack. Press the - key on your number keypad and *bam* you've captured the screenshot:

This message brought to you by Everquest-slave # 435,987.

[edit on 20-5-2005 by saint4God]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
And what is the best way to BBQ one?

Considering the horn, they're obviously best prepared as a Kabbob!

Yum, Unicorns on a stick, with Yogurht sauce.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
From what I have heard that "pure" maidens are best, but that females have a better chane of approaching them with out being harmed.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
According to my 1977 Reader's Digest (paraphrased):
A virgins purity can induce the beast to lay its head on her lap, and then as the tapestries depict, a dude comes up from behind and pokes it with a long spear. A lion (England) can also kill a unicorn(Scotland) by running up a tree while it is getting chased, and then the stupid unicorn head-butts the tree and gets stuck. Lion then kills him/her, per King James I 1603. They are also apparently strong enough to pierce three elephants and carry them around, but this also ends in their demise as they can't shake the elephants off and either starve or die of the stench.
Unicorn hide boots protect you from the plague; a paste of unicorn liver and egg yolk heals leprosy; the horn can neutralize poisons in all sorts of ways and poisonous plants and animals in its vicinity are supposed to burst and die.

However, you must take in mind that horses used to be nowhere near the size they are today, and the easiest way to find a unicorn would be to take the P. T. Barnum approach.
1 Horse + 1 narwhal tooth + a lot of crazy glue = UNICORN!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
maybe like humans there are some human with horns that is a very rare case could be there is a horse with a horn

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by icelid
virgins purity can induce the beast to lay its head on her lap, and then as the tapestries depict, a dude comes up from behind and pokes it with a long spear

Notice, however, the the tapestries don't have this bit about the virgin, which is intersting. I wonder if the virgin idea was added in more modern times, or if there were just variations of the story from those times.

I like those other stories too! Damned sticky elephants!

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Unicorns have been made in modern times by surgically altering goats.

new topics

top topics

join