It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN: What is a RSS Feed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I have been wondering what this is in the ASTSNN section. I dont want to dl it because I dont want to change anything. What is it? I see it on a lot of other websites as well. What does it do? Can someone explain it to me?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

RSS, pronounced "arr-ess-ess", is a family of XML file formats for web syndication used by news websites and weblogs. It stands for one of the following standards: * Rich Site Summary (RSS 0.9x)* Really Simple Syndication (RSS 2.x)* RDF Site Summary (RSS 0.9 and 1.0)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_Feed

let's say you have a website and you want news headlines on your site, you would subscribe to RSS feed of the news organization of your choice.

see here for a better explanation, i'm not good explaining technical stuff

searchenginewatch.com...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I use one it's great, easy to install and easy to use. I have a free shareware RssReader.

[edit on 17/5/2005 by Sauron]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
An RSS feed is, as worldwatcher explained, intended for use as a news feed. Instead of "feeding" to the television, to the crawl, not to you, you subscribe to an RSS feed and read them as they develop and update. Websites use them for all sorts of things. Quote archives, webcomics, blogs, and of course news.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
RSS is kind of a shortcut to quickly view news article headlines.

I get RSS feeds by using an application called Desktop Sidebar. . It will automatically scroll thru all the news sites I have chosen at time intervals that I have set up.

One of the sites that I have setup is ATSNN. When I put my mouse over a link that catches my eye, a box with the first paragraph of text will open.

If I am still interested in the article, I can double click on the link to open my web browser page to the full ATSNN article.

Perhaps a visual aid could help.

This is what I see when I put my mouse over a link.

To me it is a big time saver. To some it is just another fancy computer geek tool.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by makeitso]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Firefox also has a nifty feature called "live bookmarks". When you see this icon on the bottom right border of your browser window, it means the site you are viewing has an RSS live bookmark feed. Click on the icon to subscribe to the feed. Go to your bookmarks and you will see a new bookmark folder has been added with news headline links that update in real time.

More here:
www.mozilla.org...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
They're nifty, and pretty easy to use, as well. You can find quite a few sites that will do rss/xml for free, or you can find pay ones that will do the coding for a price.

new topics

top topics

join