It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future US military - A must read

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just1Man
[Eh, the US will follow a treaty until they decide it's no longer beneficial. I say once we have the nukes in place, in space, we'll pull outta the treaty.

--J1m

Words of wisdom

One thing though - I would bet we already have nukes in space for quick counter attacks. I'd say about a hundred warheads pointing at Russia, maybe 50 pointing at China, a dozen or so pointing at N. Korea and the Middle East plus about 10 or so pointing at every other nuclear power in the world. Remember, they were thinking about putting them up there in the 60's........40 years is a loooooooooooooooong time

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well, the satellites aren't nothing new... And the tecnics are already existing

loq

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
these rods sound way nice.
i wunder if they have ever tested these or if its just based on theory.
shure wuldent wanna be anywere near a place hit by those.
haha

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

The rest here :

www.popsci.com...

What do u think ?

Guess the article got removed or something,as the link doesn't work for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Rods from god a new idea? Please excuse me while I giggle like a slightly demented school girl....

The concept of kinetic kill weaponry has been around for a very long time, in a very real way you could say kinetic energy is humanities preferred method of killing other humans and assorted wildlife. Witness the rock still in common use today, guns which use explosive gas to hurl lumps of alloy with the intent of perforating, spears, railguns and various sundry other methods. Even space based kinetic weaponry has been talked about since we figured out we could get there, and since some guy was looking at the edge of the huge crater in mexico going gee wouldn't it have been nice if we coulda just dropped one of those instead of charging machine gun nests. But I must agree the ability to fling a rock anywhere on the planet at speeds where explosives become redundant is pretty cool IMO too.

hehe too bad china will counter our 100 billion worth of launchers and doo dads with a hundred million worth of ASAT ground based missiles, and another 3 billion worth of parasite micro satellites which are dual use repair and refit/ FUBAR your new toys on demand launched platforms.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   

0.12 x 10^-3 MegaTons

so that would be 0.12 kilotons then!?! What a strange way of writing it.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Really interesting how warfare keeps changing for the easier. In the late medieval era came the longbow, thus changing warfare forever. You no longer had to come face to face with your opponent, you no longer had to slice into them with your blade, see their blood, hear them screaming. Then came the evolution of the gun. You could be much farther away this time. Heck, you could even close your eyes before you shot. Now, we move farther and farther away. Not only is it bigger and deadlier, it is easier to deal with. You can almost go away with a clean consience. You never saw them die, you just pushed a button. Just a thought...

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
All this does is take the fun out of war.

Running, shooting, blowing crap up with hand grenades, dodging bullets, flanking maneouvers, strafing fire, cover fire, calling in air support, retreating, getting grid coordinates for artillery strikes, scouting, paratrooping, seek and destroy missions, covert ops, tank columns, prisoner exchanges, interrogation, foxholes, defilades, claymore mine set-up, booby traps, yelling "INCOMING!', general charge commands, shellshock, crazy homeless veterans, and so on and so on.

Now, just blast them from the Ionosphere with our S2004 Tactical Satellite! Shoot a couple missiles from a thousand miles away.

This won't be like the old days, where you had to shoot an enemy you can see.

Kind of desensitizes death.

Note: I'm being totally sarcastic. We do actually need more technologically advanced weapons, so we can kill faster and cleaner!!!

Wait, I'm doing it again.................

I know your not being that serious but I am!!!!!!!!!! I have a fair few years before I can join the forces, and Im joining because I want to travel places and not sit behind a desk all day, every day. If its all spaced based, Ill only have to press a button! Nooooooooooooo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join