It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we "spared the rod" and "spoiled" our children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
As a parent, I often find myself overwhelmed and concerned about the current generation of children and teens. Coming from a generation of people who were raised with respect for others and their property and beliefs, I often find myself aghast at the level of disrespect, violence and impropriety that we are all subjected to in the name of "creativity" and "individuality". What creative urge is being nurtured by the disrespect the younger generation show others? What individuality or self esteem is being fostered by a generation that seeks to merely imitate th e dress and fashion of the rock, rap or hip hop artists that they view on MTV? In an effort to make school "fun", basic educational skills are being sacrificed. At one time, there was a theory that America was being "dumbed down" intellectually. Is this "dumbing down" also aimed at social skills such as the acceptance of other races , nationalities, faiths and sexual orientations? Of course, these are issues that my generation (I'm in my fifties) had to deal with. It wasn't easy, but we made great inroads. Yes, issues that were controversial were debated but, essentially, principle and tolerance had been the norm. Is all this going out the window with the new generation?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I agree totally. I believe that tolerance has gone too far, tolerance for rudeness, no manners, etc. has made people uncaring and cold.

It seems that everything the young ones are taught is, "its all about me, me, me" Whatever makes them happy goes.

I believe that it makes for a rude awakening when they realize the world doesn't revolve around themselves.

The scary thing, these "kids" will be running our world when we are old.....ponder that awhile.

Faeryland

join