It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you trust Putin? Or are the Russians bent on restoring their "empire"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
During the recent celebration of the sixtieth Anniversary of the end of WWII, a diplomatic flap transpired between the Baltic States; Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia and the Russian Federation. The Baltic states demanded an apology from Putin, representing the Russian people, for their post war occupation and persecution of the Baltic states. Putin refused. Is this political arrogance in the face of the truth? Or is it an indication that Russia is simply a military giant, bent on imperialism, expressing it's distain for their former "territories". Is this and the fact that the Russian "federation" is building up their military from new nuclear missiles and aircraft carriers to being defiantly vocal against historical truth and democracy?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
"Sino-Soviet" relations are interesting to watch, on a broader level, regarding notions of empiricism.

But the issue of public apology is endemic. Few are the leaders who will apologize on behalf of their nations for wrongdoing.

John Howard wouldn't do it. (Who?)

George W Bush won't do it.

Japan has a hard time with it.

Perhaps Putin or some successor will do it more subtly, when the EU is a real EU and a more natural order is "restored".

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
IMHO-It would appear that Putin would like nothing better than the re-instatement of the former Soviet Union. He was quoted as saying something to the effect of: "The breakup of the soviet union was a disaster" . Reguardless of whether or not a return to their former glory is possible, it makes it more than evident what form of government he prefers.

As for "trusting" Putin, I was raised to never trust a Russian

Seriously though, when one considers the effects of the disintegration of the Soviet Union, is it really hard to see why some(if not many) prefer communism?

That being said, with China as their closest neighbor, and being communist as well; we are very likely to see some sort of strong alliance between the two, if not some sort of union. Geographically speaking it would make the most sense. Imagine all of Asia united (even if just economically).

It is common knowlege amongst most political theorist that a war between the USA & China is almost all but inevitable within the not to distant future. This being the case it would seem that the prudent thing for Russia to do, is exactly as they have been, and continue to strengthen ties, until that big day comes.

If and when there is a War, do not believe for one second that they (The Russians) would prefer the USA on their doorstep as opposed to the Chinese.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
The Baltic states demanded an apology from Putin, representing the Russian people, for their post war occupation and persecution of the Baltic states. Putin refused.

I'm a native speaker of Russian and I watched the press conference where Putin retorted the request for an apology. Mr.Putin sounded quite arrogant. His choice of words was pretty poor, diplomatically. He could have gotten across as a strong but smooth and dipolmatic leader. But he's simply not that kind.

Is this political arrogance in the face of the truth?

He's playing to the Russian audience who want to see or believe they see a strong leader.

Or is it an indication that Russia is simply a military giant, bent on imperialism, expressing it's distain for their former "territories". Is this and the fact that the Russian "federation" is building up their military from new nuclear missiles and aircraft carriers to being defiantly vocal against historical truth and democracy?

Don't give Putin that much credit. The country is in decay. I don't believe they can rebuild their military power any time soon. The rich are busy enriching themselves, the poor are busy being taken for a ride, the gangsters are busy running their commercial structures and arranging kickbacks and protection payments, and unfortunately older people are busy dying. So you see, in this flurry of activity there is little thought about the strategy for Russia. Oh yeah, and the President is busy creating appearances of stability, strength and democratic committment.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Of course I do not trust Putin, but why stop with him? My American tax dollars have poured into Putin's country for years to help them with their economy, while they continue to build a military and make friends with the Chinese. Sounds a bit suicidal on my government's part, right? So, that causes me to ask, who is in control and what are they doing.

Don't stop with Putin. Trust no one.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Its obvious the soviet union turned democratic because they didnt have enough money. though i beleive communism implemented in the right way is a good thing it will never happen in this world.The competion as well as the worship of money brought by capatilism is a very good thing for russia.
some people arent even worried about Putin and his true intention they are more worried instead of making money to survive. when russia learns how to make a strong economy like ours, they will not only be able to rebuild their economy, but also their military. turning democratic was the best thing they could do. i doubt the will turn back to communism anytime soon

[edit on 17-5-2005 by mastergallo]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Of course I do not trust Putin, but why stop with him? My American tax dollars have poured into Putin's country for years to help them with their economy, while they continue to build a military and make friends with the Chinese. Sounds a bit suicidal on my government's part, right?

I believe our tax dollars helped stabilize the regime which the US believed was going to be suitably weak on the international stage, but which would provide enough internal stability and predictability. If the US suspected for a split second that the Russians were really about to take off on some kind of new turn of building new armed forces or just rehabilitating the country in general, the pulg would have been pulled a while ago.

I don't get this point about how Russia is building military right now. From what I know, the Air Force pilots go with almost zero training, as there is no enough money to buy fuel for flight training. That's laughable, folks. It's simply not a good army.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Why should Putin apologize to Baltic States? That would be an insult to Russian minorities in this Baltic states and all anti-Nazi coallition in WWII (Baltic states were on Hitler's side). And Russians are treated like second hand citizens there.
As for restoring the empire. They were the empire, are, and will be. But they are not running around the world and telling people what to do.

PS. Communism is a western idea not eastern.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by yanchek]

new topics

top topics

join