It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 52 Year Old Inmate Dies After Struggle With 25-30 Guards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The death of an inmate at the Baltimore Central Booking facility has been ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner's office. This is the 27th inmate to die at the facility since 2002.

www.msnbc.msn.com
An inmate at an overcrowded and long-troubled jail died after a fight with guards. An attorney for his family said he was beaten and stomped to death in his cell.

Six guards were placed on leave Monday while state investigators look into Raymond Smoot’s death, which was ruled a homicide by the state medical examiner’s office.

A guard had trouble getting Smoot back in his cell Saturday night at the state-run Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center, and he called for backup, authorities said. A struggle broke out and 25 to 30 guards were involved, said Archer Blackwell, a spokesman for the guards union.

Since 2002, 27 inmates have died at central booking, according to state Sen. Verna Jones, who called for a task force to investigate the jail, saying Smoot’s death “illustrates a system that is overwhelmed and broken."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Forget the pregnant woman being tasered, forget about the cops running over the guy during the chase...

THIS is police brutality. This man was 52 years old. According to one article, 25-30(!!) guards were called to beat on this man.

After 27 deaths in under 3 years, it is clear to me that something needs to be done about Baltimore Central Booking.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
washingtontimes.com
www.sfgate.com
www.blackamericaweb.com

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
From the source:

Smoot had been in central booking since May 4 on a theft charge, awaiting trial in June. He was initially held on $5,000 bail, which was later reduced. His family said they had intended to bail him out on Monday.

Delvonna Smoot, Smoot’s niece, said she saw her uncle’s body and his face was bruised and bloody. “The doctors said they’ve never seen another human being beat somebody as bad as they beat my uncle, never,” she said.

The incident is the latest problem for Maryland’s troubled prison system. An inmate died last year after a violent encounter with prison staff. Another was allegedly strangled in February on a prison bus, leading an inmate to be charged and prison officials to fire three officers and discipline two others.

Most of the deaths appear to be from causes related to the overcrowding.

One article describes people napping under toilets and puking on each other.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The whole American justice system is broken, not just this prison.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If these cells are so small, and there is a problem with overcrowding, i wonder how exactly did 25-30 guards were able to fit in his cell....

Notice the article says, an altercation broke out. it is very possible there were more people who made this altercation... i doubt 25-30 guards can get inside one of these cells and beat up anyone...

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

One article describes people napping under toilets and puking on each other.

Napping under toilets
on each other

What are they midgets

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Obviously you've never been to jail before. I have been a couple times for socially-acceptable crimes and it SUCKS.

The first holding cell I was in was packed with about 12 people... Could probably hold 20 standing up. The problem was, they kept us there from like 10pm to 7am, so everyone was sleeping. In order for everyone to get enough space to lay down, people had their heads in other peoples armpits and their faces near the toilets and all that...

I sat down on a bench and painfully leaned my head against the bars. Damn, that sucked.

The second time, I was in a cell with two metal picnic-tabley things and two toilets. People, including me, would lay out on the tables and their benches trying to sleep, and the rest of the people slept on the nasty floor.

I can picture this easily, man, and they don't have to be midgets to have their heads buried in the cracks around a toiled fixture trying to get some shut-eye.

Jail overcrowding is no joke.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I hear you zipdot..

been there myself, and I discovered why thugs really like to wear puffy jackets. They make great pillows.

If that isn't your style, a good roll of toilet paper is always nice.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
"socially-acceptable crimes" huh?...

I wonder what that means...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

from Mauddib
If these cells are so small, and there is a problem with overcrowding, i wonder how exactly did 25-30 guards were able to fit in his cell....

Notice the article says, an altercation broke out. it is very possible there were more people who made this altercation... i doubt 25-30 guards can get inside one of these cells and beat up anyone...

Well, the article says:

A guard had trouble getting Smoot back in his cell Saturday night at the state-run Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center, authorities said, and he called for backup. A struggle broke out, and 25 to 30 guards were involved, said Archer Blackwell, a spokesman for the guards union.

So they were outside of the cell.

Mark Vernarelli, a state Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services spokesman, declined to release details of the fight. But Warren Brown, an attorney for Smoot's family, said the inmate was "beaten and stomped while in his cell by a number of officers."

No real details on the fight.

The facility is so overcrowded that last month a judge ordered all inmates held longer than 24 hours to be set free.

That's pretty damn overcrowded. This type of situation should simply not arise. Where is the public outcry?

Smoot had been in central booking since May 4 on a theft charge, awaiting trial in June. He was initially held on $5,000 bail, which was later reduced. His family said they had intended to bail him out Monday.

Looks like they won't be bailing him out Monday after all, because he was beaten to death by a mob of pig bosses.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Zip saidObviously you've never been to jail before. I have been a couple times for socially-acceptable crimes . . .

Now Zip, that isn't possible. IF something is 'socially acceptable then you wouldn't be in jail. You mean 'cool'?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Apparently this article is biased and this police-state story is not right for ATS.

The three articles above provide only the facts and statements from the guard's union, the family's attorney, and a family member of the deceased. I don't see any bias in the reporting -- maybe there's bias in the family's statements, but that doesn't mean the article is biased.

I am surprised the guard's union admitted to the figure of "25-30" guards.

Anyways, I guess stories about police and guards abusing their power and killing civilians isn't right for ATS.
Whatever.

Zip

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Don't take it bad Zip there are alot of people who will vote bias simply because the commets section shows biased. Obsiously some are not aware that the comments section can be biased.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Zip you need to quit 'churning' your own articles- bad form.

Bias is just one of those buttons that should be removed. As long as it exists-

deal with it

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
Zip you need to quit 'churning' your own articles- bad form.

Bias is just one of those buttons that should be removed. As long as it exists-

deal with it

Thank you, Joe. I hadn't realized what a FOOL I have been. You have shown me the light. Praise be!

Zip

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Calm down Zip, I like your stuff. You just need to grasp the concept of 'patience.'

(learn to fish)

I think I'll nominate you and shots for one of those new ATS hall-monitor slots- sound good

Who better, am I right

ps
have a WATS you earned it

[edit on 19-5-2005 by JoeDoaks]

new topics

top topics

join