It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science vs Religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   
what ever a religion says is a miracle, science, and math, finds a way to explain, is science against religion?

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
CyberGhost first give us some examples of the kind of miracles to which you refer. And if you say that what some people considered a miracle is later explained by science, does that invalidate the fact that something happened. First I believe there are two basic form of miracles: the natural event at the very appropriate time and the event which cannot be explained by current science. A good example of the former (natural event - good timing) is the parting of the Dead Sea related in Exodus. It has been seen that when the wind blows from the right direction, there develops a stretch of dry land that can be crossed with the sea on both sides of you. Napolen is said to have seen this during his expedition into Egypt. This is a natural event but the fact that it happened just when the children of Israel needed to get to the other side can be considered a miracle. On the other hand, there are things which cannot be explained by current science such as the raising of Lazarus from the dead.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I don't really believe in miracles. Some like to show them as proof that their religion is correct. If that would be that case, why don't Christians see Mohammed? Why don't Moslems see Buddha and why don't Hindus see the Virgin Mary? I think if you believe in something enough, your mind can trick you into really seeing it.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I don't think that science is against religion, I just think that certain people are stubborn who just so happen to be scientists. Most scientists are atheists, they LOVE explaining stuff.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Miracles do not violate the laws of physics as it was God who created the laws, miracles are just incidents we do not understand. Our lack of understanding doesn't mean that the two conflict, it just means that we either do not understand or that we are trying to make the science give the appearance of conflicting with religion.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well Thomas you definitely must agree that my first category of miracles ( the natural event at the appropriate time) definitely does not violate any laws of physics - they do stretch the law of probability.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Unless one considers the issue of reversing time from the context of it being inherent to matter.

When a single photon is split by a beam splitter, its two `halves' can entangle two distant atoms into an EPR pair. We discuss a time-reversed analogue of this experiment where two distant sources cooperate so as to emit a single photon.

The two `half photons,' having interacted with two atoms, can entangle these atoms into an EPR pair once they are detected as a single photon. Entanglement occurs by creating indistinguishabilility between the two mutually exclusive histories of the photon.

This indistinguishabilility can be created either at the end of the two histories (by `erasing' the single photon's path) or at their beginning (by `erasing' the two atoms' positions).

In American Indian legends there is such a knowledge related to being able to raise people from the dead.

Its called (as far as I know) Sister.

Nothing is impossible only improbable under certain conditions.

www.emergentmind.org...

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by Toltec]

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Science is Religion.

The powers that be have successfully indoctrinated everyone to believe they are different.

I think we could move forward once everyone realises that they are one in the same thing.

[Edited on 4-8-2003 by pixilair]

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Science explains HOW things work.

Science does NOT explain WHY things work.

The inexplicable is God.

Science is the How, God is the WHY.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Science explains HOW things work.

Science does NOT explain WHY things work.

The inexplicable is God.

Science is the How, God is the WHY.

Well put.

However, many of the "facts" espoused by the Church of the years, have later been proven wrong by Science. I'm not saying they are deliberate enemies, but certainly, they are opponents of circumstance.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Science nor Religion can answer all.....
There are "things" that will never be answered by the finite mind.....for the "All" is "in-finite."

One explains things from a methodology perspective while the other explains it from a meta-physical perspective. When one really adds the sum of both, they only serve to confirm the "One."

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Solomon, given the credit of being the wisest of humans, was one of the first scientists we've heard of, being interested in many things, including zoology.

He also had many wives and concubines, which causes me to doubt his superior wisdom!

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Guess you have not been with the times Gaz, the Church has said in recent times that science and religion can work together to show God's glory. They aren't against each other.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Buddhist philosophers were talking particle physics when the western world had just learn't to build mud huts.

I guess Buddhism isn't really a religion though, is it?

new topics

top topics

join