It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim double standard on religious desecration?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
They don't believe in the Bible at all, they have some of the same prophets but they argue that the Roman Catholic Church has changed the names, original texts, etc, to give their own view on it/changing the meaning of it. However they are still meant to respect the Bible because some of the quotes are the same in both the Qu'Ran and the Bible. (Around 400).

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Excellent thread. Also wonder where all the ATS muslims are on this one, as I would have expected a spirited defense of islam. Guess that in the face of all this truth, there was nothing about islam to defend ...

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Excellent thread. Also wonder where all the ATS muslims are on this one, as I would have expected a spirited defense of islam. Guess that in the face of all this truth, there was nothing about islam to defend ...

Well when you get one that is willing to discuss it, then things can be brought into perspective.

One such person is colin_hal

See this
link to see what I mean. He is calm and willing to debate in peace.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   

One of the downsides to this thread is that there has been too much generalisation of Muslims/Islam. I for one honestly don't care about the desecration of the Qur'an, and i don't know any Muslims who do, if it is wrong to do such a thing then those people will be punished for it in the after life. If the childish actions of a few can cause so much outrage then those people really are insecure about their own faith. You shouldn't expect a spirited defence of Islam in this thread because there isn't anything about Islam to comment on, but the actions of a few people who like a kick up a fuss.

IMO a broader view of the problem might be applicable, instead of seeing this as Islamic fundamentalism/intolerance perhaps human stupidity would be closer to the point. For instance, in the UK a few years back there was a lot of fuss about Eminem and his violent lyrics, there was documentaries about it, newspaper articles and protests, all sorts. Now, who cares? No one, it was just an excuse to do something, out of boredom possibly, or a lack of purpose in people's life, who knows, there are countless other examples of this, such as the health risks of mobile phones or gm food. Obviously there is the difference of it seeming that the Muslims appear to go to extremes, i think there have been some deaths in the protests against the recent disrespect of the Qur'an, correct me if I'm wrong, but i think they may still be part of the same ball game.

However, seeing as American troops went into Afghanistan and Iraq to liberate the people, you can't blame them for being a bit upset at these actions. The fact that people have a real hatred for something they know nothing about could be seen as quite scary, to think that there is a whole army of people who hate Islam, there aren't, i know, but it could still be seen like that by some people.

And for those of you who claim that Islam is an intolerant religion, I beg to differ, the Qur'an says "let there be no compulsion in religion".

RANT, even though I am a Muslim, I agree with you, religion DOES suck. Religion these days means identity, and it is human nature to want to be grouped with something, causing you to hate those who are different. These differences are so much more despised perhaps amongst religions because religion gets at a much more profound level of the human mind, much more than skin colour ever can, and I am definitely not speaking for everyone here, Jews, Muslims, Christian, Hindus, Sikhs, and the rest live side by side with no problems in many parts of the world, but the reason for any unnescessary conflicts is because of human intolerance. I do not see Islam as a religion, because it implies that it is just another belief system, which could be just as right or wrong as the others, Islam is the way that God has chosen for us to live our lives, IMO, so I do not see myself as a follower of any religion but rather God, but that doesn't mean "Islam" is the only way. Any real followers of the other faiths will not really see themselves as a follower of a "religion" because it takes away the importance of it, it implies they were merely born into it. Religious identity must/should go, there are too many stupid people in the world.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You have voted sal88 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Maybe because A) the section of the forum it is in and B) They're sick of defending themselves to people who have already judged them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join