It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim double standard on religious desecration?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I was wondering when this would be brought up. As a former resident once of a muslim country (Saudi Arabia), I can say that they (the authorities) certainly do not respect the religious symbols of others. I've seen shops trying to sell Christian items ransacked, Bibles burned, etc., and by the authorities themselves. It most certainly is a double standard, and I'm no fan of Christianity, hehe....

Still however, as a worldly democracy, we are supposed to be above such behavior and intolerance.

Given that though, I'm surprised more haven't questioned the basic physics surrounding the idea of flushing a book (even page by page) down a toilet. They must have some excellent toilets in Gitmo, for if I was to attempt the same stunt at home, I doubt I'd get more than a couple pages before I clogged the pipes...
Publishing that story was irresponsible on many levels, but even the idea of it actually being true is illogical.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well I am just waiting for a reasonable explanation for the double standard from the Muslim viewpoint........

Even the Hindu religion is not so intolerant, heck it is probably more tolerant than Christianity.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well I am just waiting for a reasonable explanation for the double standard from the Muslim viewpoint........

They're copying christendom in the dark ages??

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
This doesn't limit itself to one religion in particular. There are fanatics of every religion.

really, the fact islamic extremists outnumber every other extremist groups combined, means nothing? muslim extremists make up over 60% of every extremist group, most other extremist groups arent even about religion so that kinda tells anyone with common sense that infact it is mostly limited to one religion in particular.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

They're copying christendom in the dark ages??

Valid statement.

But are we living in the Middle Ages?

So just because someone did something 500 years ago, makes it justifiable now?

Hmmm, So the Chinese are justified going into Japan and raping and pillaging and murdering and that was only 60 years ago...

Ok I see now.....

You believe in reparations don't you? 150 years later?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

But are we living in the Middle Ages?

They obviously are. After the fall of the Empire, Europe was plunged into supersition and darkness. Islamic civilization, for whatever the reason, was able to incorporate all the pagan, and christian, learning of the territories it came to rule, and thus it was able to advance beyond classical civilization. Meanwhile, europe had to slowly climb back out of it, and was nearly overrun in the meantime by the Islamics. Now, its islamic society that finds itself in a dark ages after the collapse of its empires, nearly over run by the more advanced nearby socities.

So just because someone did something 500 years ago, makes it justifiable now?

I certainly never said it was justifiable. Its pig-ignorant to arrest people because they are practicing a different religion, or to have bloody riots over a rumour but not over actual abuse. Superstition and idiocy, doesn't matter what book is telling people to do it.

Hmmm, So the Chinese are justified going into Japan and raping and pillaging and murdering and that was only 60 years ago...

Well, china can invade japan legally of course, and japan can do the converse, but of course atrocities are allways illegal.

You believe in reparations don't you? 150 years later?

Yes, give NY back to the Dutch.
Infact restore the entire dutch empire, NY, the pacific holdings, ceylon (thats right, ceylon, not sri lanka), and south africa. That'd be intersting. Go reparations!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
No, i mean christianity. Catholicism is part of christianity, just like the Greek Orthodox churches, just like the modern evangelical churches. They are all christians, and the evangelicals are not less 'supersituious and ignorant' in their theology than the catholics of the dark ages.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
See? Another example.

Saudis Shred Bibles, Rights Campaigners Claim

CNSNews.com) - Bibles found in the possession of visitors to Saudi Arabia are routinely confiscated by customs officials, and in some cases copies allegedly have been put through a paper shredder, according to religious rights campaigners.

Reports from the Islamic world of the abuse of Bibles and other items important to Christians emerge from time to time, but generally have little impact - in contrast to the wave of Muslim anger sparked by a Newsweek report, since retracted, of Koran desecration by the U.S. military.

"The Muslims respect the Koran far more than Christians respect the Bible," says Danny Nalliah, a Sri Lankan-born evangelical pastor now based in Australia.

During the 1990s, Nalliah spent two years in Saudi Arabia, where he was deeply involved with the underground church.

"It's a very well-known fact that if you have a Bible at customs when you enter the airport, and if they find the Bible, that the Bible is taken and put in the shredder," he said in an interview this week.

LINK

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

"It's a very well-known fact that if you have a Bible at customs when you enter the airport, and if they find the Bible, that the Bible is taken and put in the shredder," he said in an interview this week.

I can tell you first hand that that is a fact. When we went through customs there, they had large bins just for tossing stuff in (mostly bibles, magazines with models on the cover, etc.). They didn't mess with worn crucifixes though, oddly enough. Also, it wasn't like customs here. They will COMPLETELY go through your stuff, and you had to pack pretty light, or you'd never cram it enough to shut it afterwards.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Bibles found in the possession of visitors to Saudi Arabia are routinely confiscated by customs officials, and in some cases copies allegedly have been put through a paper shredder, according to religious rights campaigners

Incredible. The world riots on a rumour of a koran being descreated, but its a matter of state policy that bibles are routintely destroyed, and its not a problem. The koran is not sacred, its just a book, but the idea of it being destroyed was seen as a smack in the face to muslims. This, in itself, is silly, since it was done to, according to the rumour, a particular muslim, not all muslims. I can understand being upset about being purposely insulted, if that had been the case, but that wasn't the case, and these rioters arent rioting over beign insulted, they're rioting over concern for paper.

The Koran is sold in public, you can go to a book store and purchase it. You cannot complain when people do what they will with it, and its absrud to riot over it.

I can understand Jews being horrified over copies of the Torah being burned in Weimar Germany (if that had happened lets say, don't even know if it did, seems possible, anyway), and I can see people viewing this as somewhat similar, but rioting? Killing each other? Stampeding? Absurd, silly, ignorant. And considering how the saudis treat bibles, its well nigh hypocritical (tho there were no riots in saudi arabia).

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Interestin case study in Lebanon...

Christian Extremists battling Muslim Extremists for control of a nation. Many in Beirut still remember the Civil War with fondness and wish for a return to open war. The Christians still operate a bar dedicated to the outbreak of war, and the glorious victory..that never materialized.

These struggles are perpetual, barring genocide.

If genocide is wrong and must not be done, how are these groups to settle their differences?

They need alternatives, basically. If someone comes up with an alternative, whereby one side gets to feel superior to the other side, and vice versa. That's the trick, see, you have to make both sides believe they're always winning.

I wonder if that's the secret to the war machine...

Alternating the force exerted between both sides in any conflict, to reduce the intensity and sustain the duration necessary for decent profits past .30.

And yes, of course it's a double standard! Religion is full of these! It's a necessary component to a reality that isn't real, one must 'prove' other realities unreal in order to convince more people, who in turn strengthen your reality. Get it?

Religions, as they exist today, were designed to be mutually exlclusive! It's inherent!

And that's the lesson a whole lot of people haven't learned from this war.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I would really say double standard...they desecrate our bible we just complain,one of us desecrates their bible,5 soldiers get blown up.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WissNX01
Exactly right. the Muslim religion teachs no tolerance of others, while most other religions do. Muslims are violent, the fanatic ones. Christians can be, but alot of Christians obey the laws of the land and do go around like roving murders hacking off heads for Jesus.

Islam does have tolerance as the prophet Mohummad PBH reach islam through tolerance and peace rather than violence.

Most of the people who became muslims is by peace and one of the biggest evidence islam reach to far east asia as well as the before prophet went to madina (KSA) there where two tribes where fighting and the prophet made peace with each of them .

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
AS well as the people who fought the crusaders where muslims and chrisitans side by side

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
AS well as the people who fought the crusaders where muslims and chrisitans side by side

Did you mean "were" if so the crusaders were christians and fought the muslims.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
As much as it pains me to agree with ed (you know I love ya
) I have to agree here.

I wonder how much respect is shown the Bibles confiscated by the Religious police in Saudi Arabia?

How much respect was shown the Buddhist statutes in Afghanistan?

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the statues in Afghanistan.

And from my own experience, the Saudis do confiscate and destroy religous material not Islamic. I heard from several Philipino oil workers that bibles are burned in a dung pile.

So yeah, big double standard, I agree. Its also illegal in Saudi to wear religous symbols in public, even US soldiers were forbidden from displaying a cross, star of David, ect. They had to take them off before leaving the base.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheApocalypse

Originally posted by eazy_mas

Did you mean "were" if so the crusaders were christians and fought the muslims.

the Arabs fought together for this holy place , Christian arabs and Muslim Arabs .

Dont blame the relgion but the people mentality

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   

All religions suck. All are intolerant. All seek to enforce one dogma over another. And you know this or you wouldn't be playing the see, they're just as bad as my religion game.

Feel better?

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

All religions suck. All are intolerant. All seek to enforce one dogma over another. And you know this or you wouldn't be playing the see, they're just as bad as my religion game.

Feel better?

Islamic Supreme Council of America, Great Britain, Pakistan, etc, have all spoken out about Muslims destroying Holy Sites and condemned them for their actions. Furthermore they have asked over and over again for help by the World Governments to promote this message but nobody gives a damn. No media is picking it up and helping to promote it on a world wide scale which will help it.

Also go look up Saladin and what he did, let alone did he stop Christians and Jews being killed by Muslims he even offered his own doctors to help the Crusaders he was fighting. He even gave Christians safe passage through his lands and exercuted Muslims who persercuted people even though not many years before the Christians had taken it back and slaughtered every Muslim in the City. With both him and Richard exchanging gifts even after the Crusades, due to the courage Richard had shown in battle.

Now why did he do any of that? Oh yeah Muhammed actually spoke out about teh desercration of Holy Sites. It's why Iran has a lot of Synagogues that have never been destroyed, as do a lot of other Islamic Nations. Got to remember Saudi Arabi has been condemned since 1920's for its actions but until the Media start to display what they've done to the whole world it'll never be changed.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Originally posted by Amuk
As much as it pains me to agree with ed (you know I love ya
) I have to agree here.

I wonder how much respect is shown the Bibles confiscated by the Religious police in Saudi Arabia?

How much respect was shown the Buddhist statutes in Afghanistan?

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the statues in Afghanistan.

And from my own experience, the Saudis do confiscate and destroy religous material not Islamic. I heard from several Philipino oil workers that bibles are burned in a dung pile.

So yeah, big double standard, I agree. Its also illegal in Saudi to wear religous symbols in public, even US soldiers were forbidden from displaying a cross, star of David, ect. They had to take them off before leaving the base.

Muslims also believe in the bible altrough on in its current form so it is actually against our own religion aswell. So they didnt read the qu'ran well

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join