It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Voting System Not the Best

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Forgive me if this issue has been addressed in another thread, I looked but couldn't find one dealing with it.

The system of voting for news articles is a nice idea, but poorly implemented it seems to me. I think the general prinicple is good, but it would help if there was a way of being more specific for some of the votes. For example, saying there's bad grammar may help slightly, but unless someone specifies exactly where the error occurs it's hard to pinpoint, especially if someone is voting 'bad grammar' over a debatable point or "close call" situation.

-koji K.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think there are too many idiots on ATS voting in an idiotic manner in order for this system to work.
Giving freedom to members in the form of the WATS system doesn't allow the idiots to harm anyone, because it's only to vote in positive way, but this news system allows idiots to "punish" anyone.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It has been covered before. Maybe you will find some answers here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Hope this helps.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
i think ATSNN should go back to the old days of reporters and editors. It was much better and the stories were better too.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
While this has been discussed before, I really thing that the "No' votes should have a name attacked to it. To paraphrase Valhall if someone has the stones to vote "No:..." they should have the stones to stand by it as well.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
I think there are too many idiots on ATS voting in an idiotic manner in order for this system to work.
Giving freedom to members in the form of the WATS system doesn't allow the idiots to harm anyone, because it's only to vote in positive way, but this news system allows idiots to "punish" anyone.

Wow! Aren't you something? I'm impressed with the way you have such a low bar that you have fulfilled it hanging out with us idiots.

You go you winner you.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
my only issue with the voting system is that it sometimes takes too long for "news" to become "news" here. I think we need more a more clearer and structured advisement to all members on how to vote.

why and what constitutes a no vote or a yes vote.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
While this has been discussed before, I really thing that the "No' votes should have a name attacked to it.

A nice Freudian slip, and "looh" at the position of your H and K keys...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
[
A nice Freudian slip, and "looh" at the position of your H and K keys...

Not what I intended, but looking at I like it better

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I admit it. I voted "No grammar" recently on a story that was, in fact, quite well written. But in my case, the story was obviously posted as a joke and not as a real news item. I figured my vote was as ironic as the story itself.

I also have to admit that I am both irritated and amused by "No not right" votes. Granted, the stories I have submitted may not fit the typical mold of ATS (eg. Abortion Linked to Later Pregnancy Problems and Brain Chemistry Changes With Menstrual Cycle) but then again, other stories that I submitted (and seemingly had no relevance to ATS) were upgraded fairly quickly (eg. Youthful Marijuana Use Linked to Mental Illness).

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Or

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Those are just three. Here's a more general, relatively recent one.

Search for em, you'll find something you want, as well as others who share your views.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Wow! Aren't you something? I'm impressed with the way you have such a low bar that you have fulfilled it hanging out with us idiots.

You go you winner you.

Thanks Val, especially dealing with you has been challenging at times.

No seriously, what I mean is that there ARE trolls on ATS, and that there ARE people who vote wrongly, period.
Giving individual freedom to the members of a huge community like ATS is always a risc, everyone knows this. This is also why there is not a negative WATS system, it would end up being abused.

My post was realy not ment that negative, fortunately there are far more valuable, intelligent, and sensable people on ATS than idiots, which is what keeps ATS great, despite of the "weird voters".

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
i think ATSNN should go back to the old days of reporters and editors. It was much better and the stories were better too.

I second that emotion

new topics

top topics

join