It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France does not know wat to do with America since its been replaced.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

it seems to me that Chirac has been trying to get the French people to his vision where back to the old days of the French Empire, but since America has become a superpower and then a hyperpower thanks to the French calling America that, they try to bring a new vision like for example the European Union where it is in competition with America. But the French people does not believe in that vision and Chirac is just trying to make up excuses to make sure France is like on the top of the world or something.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The artilce is VERY opinionated.
It only shows one side of the arguement.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
France does not know wat to do with America since its been replaced.

- The sun set on the French empire around the end of WW1 and, like with the UK's empire, it took another 50 - 75yrs for it all to wind down and settle (more or less).

It is a long long time since the French people or gov considered themselves to be the dominant world power.

So, apparantly (if one accepts your premise) the French have been confounded about the USA certainly since the end of WW2....... and probably a bit longer?

www.msnbc.msn.com...

- As DW says, a pretty laughable and very one-sided article pushing a very obvious 'agenda'.
Sadly it's nothing too unusual in the USA today.

it seems to me that Chirac has been trying to get the French people to his vision where back to the old days of the French Empire

- This is hilarious.
Any nation daring to differ with the USA's current administration and it's policies and that wishes to act in accordance with how it sees things is, apparantly, attempting to - verbally ? - conjure up it's old empire!

Some examples of Chirac exhorting the French people to revive their old empire might be illuminating.

but since America has become a superpower

- What do you mean "since"?
How long has the rest of the world acknowledged the US's superpower status?
50yrs? Maybe a little more? Far longer than Chirac has been in politics?

It is exactly this kind of self- contradiction (to the point about French empire) that makes this so absurd.

and then a hyperpower thanks to the French calling America that

- So, France has referred to the US as a "hyper-power"........kind of makes the earlier old empire stuff even more confused and ridiculous, huh?

they try to bring a new vision like for example the European Union where it is in competition with America.

- I suggest you go away and find out about how long the EU has been going, what it developed from and what it is about.

It is not a French.
Nor is it a French construct.
It is not under French control.
It is not "new".
It had nothing to do with French differences with the USA in foreign policy when it was born and it still is nothing to do with reacting to US interests to this day. It is simply about the free and democratic countries of Europe peacefully acting in our agreed collective interests.

But the French people does not believe in that vision

- Er, what "vision" do you imagine the French people don't "believe in"?

If you are referring to the recently agree so-called 'EU constitution' you will find that although early opinion polls have shown a majority against the very latest polls show the French people are likely to vote yes for it.

The reason the French aren't too enthused with this so-called 'constitution' is because they think it too 'Anglo-Saxon'; not because of anything to do with reacting to any US policy nor becuse the French people don't go along with Chriac's "vision" - whatever that is supposed to be.

(In fact all the countries that have had a referendum on this so far have all voted yes, the French vote this weekend.)

and Chirac is just trying to make up excuses to make sure France is like on the top of the world or something.

- Besides the fact that just about all people in all the developed countries think theirs is the best country to live in I doubt very much that your guessing about "Chirac making up excuses (!?).....etc etc" has any basis in reality.

What excuses, care to give examples of what you imagine these to be?

[edit on 17-5-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
When you really think about it, the United States was the first European Union...just not in Europe. Technically, all the different European groups had to learn to live with each other under one roof here, so the question is why can't they there?

The French can't be a super power as long as they persist with that useless work ethic of theirs. Talk about getting stupid with all those holidays. Its like they need a break from their break. They expect to be the best and not really have to put in the extra work for it.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The French are the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" country. And they are confused by the concept of accountability for their actions. They haven't won a war on their own since the Romans started kicking them around back in 50 B.C. - that would be about 2,000 years! (I like the one about why all the main roads in Paris are lined with trees? So conquering armies can all march in the shade, of course!)

Personally, I am boycotting all French products - with the exception of French Fries and French Kisses.

[edit on 5/17/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
When you really think about it, the United States was the first European Union...just not in Europe. Technically, all the different European groups had to learn to live with each other under one roof here, so the question is why can't they there?

What?
There was a bit more than europeans in america...

Originally posted by centurion1211
The French are the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" country. And they are confused by the concept of accountability for their actions. They haven't won a war on their own since the Romans started kicking them around back in 50 B.C. - that would be about 2,000 years! (I like the one about why all the main roads in Paris are lined with trees? So conquering armies can all march in the shade, of course!)

Wait, so why am I not seeing you make comments about your "greatest" ally that hasnt won a war on its own since the falklands.
And even then that was a strugle.
Try and actually not sterotype people and you might not get called a redneck.

Personally, I am boycotting all French products - with the exception of French Fries and French Kisses.

[edit on 5/17/2005 by centurion1211]

Why?
Jeez, all this because they disagree with one war....

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Oooops, my bad.

The French referendum on the EU 'constitution' is being held next weekend on the 29th, not the 22nd as I originally said.

The Netherlands has theirs on the 1st of June.

(There are to be 11 in total, IIRC)

new topics

top topics

join