It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Properties of Bismuth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am wondering if anyone can point me to studies done on the gravitational behavior of Bismuth.

Back in 1983 or so, one of my Physics professors told us about an experiment where various elements were dropped in a vacuum to see if all objects fall in accordance with the familiar F=ma.

They do, for the most part. In the experiment, some fell slightly faster and some fell slightly slower. But Bismuth had some oddball behavior in which it fell at an uneven rate. I implanted this fact in my brain because it seemed like it could be very important, but I don't remember any details of the experiment.

So, one day I'm watching Bob Lazar talking about element 115 on the SciFi channel and his description of the reactor is just sensational. Then he mentions that element 115 is in the same family as Bismuth! The stuff that has its own "gravity issues". Wow!

Usually when Science finds dirt, it gets swept under the rug. Unless it's a new science where vested interests won't get too disrupted or there might be money in it. But anyway, here is this bit of dirt. Anyone care to deal with it?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I would be interested in learning more about htis bismuth...

Doesn't it fizz?

maybe you should have put the buzzword "element 115" in the title, so people like Gazrok would pick up on it...

I will check back to see if any of our resident scientists make it by...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Can't say that I've read up too much on Element 115, but you might try out some of these results or click here for a full search result.

Why element 115 can not be used for antigravity
Nuclear phsicist-Robert lazar tells his story, is it the truth?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Bismuth can be easily purchased, even on the Internet here: Rare Earth Magnets

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any bizarre properties that cause it fall at a different gravitational acceleration since that would be so easy for anyone to test, not something that could be just swept under the rug.

As far as it being chemically similar, to element 115, that appears to be true:

You can see both Bismuth and Ununpentium are in the same group, but so is Nitrogen which makes up like 78% of the air you're breathing now
! That just means these elements probably react similarly chemically, creating similar bonds, but the special properties of element 115 are supposed to come from its nucleus, so I don't know if any connection can be made here.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
After some more looking, I have found that this subject has been heavily researched. It's called the Equivalence Principle. Basically, the mass being pulled on by gravity is the same as the mass being affected by inertia. A violation of EP would break General Relativity, so lots of people have spent lots of time on this problem. Current methods measure with 10^-13 precision. Bismuth does not display any freaky behavior.

In addition to this, gravity waves are still theoretical. Nobody has detected them yet despite spending a lot of time and money.

Having said that, I am not convinced Bob Lazar is full of crap. If he did work with a group that back engineered alien spacecraft, they really didn't know how the hell the stuff worked anyway. The gravity wave explanation was the best theory they could come up with, and it could be way off.

The spirit guides are very tight lipped about extra terrestrials. The only thing I have gotten out of them is that space travel is done by manipulating time. Fortunately, that sheds some light on the subject. Gravitation is a manifestation of the geometry of space time. You manipulate time, you manipulate gravity. This thing Bob calls the gravity A wave could just be
a time distortion. Element 115 tends to decay in milliseconds in the lab, but a time distortion field around it would keep it apparently stable.

Bob's story may or may not be fiction, but given how tough the technology is to penetrate it might as well be fiction.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I've been wondering when someone was going to talk about bismuth.

www.webelements.com...

Bismuth is a white, crystalline, brittle metal with a pinkish tinge. Bismuth is the most diamagnetic of all metals, and the thermal conductivity is lower than any metal, except mercury. It has a high electrical resistance, and has the highest Hall effect of any metal (that is, the greatest increase in electrical resistance when placed in a magnetic field).

That might be important.

Hall effect experiment that shows the sign of the charge carriers in a conductor. In 1879 E. H. Hall discovered that when he placed a metal strip carrying a current in a magnetic field, a voltage difference was produced across the strip. The side of the strip that is at the higher voltage depends on the sign of the charge carrier; Hall's work demonstrated that in metals the charge carriers are negative. Today it is known that this negative charge carrier is the electron. The Hall effect has again become an active area of research with the discovery of the quantized Hall effect, for which Klaus von Klitzing was awarded the 1985 Nobel Prize in physics. Before von Klitzing's work it was thought that the amount of voltage difference across the strip varied in direct proportion to the strength of the magnetic field–the greater the magnetic field, the greater the voltage difference. Von Klitzing showed that under the special conditions of low temperature, high magnetic field, and two-dimensional electronic systems (in which the electrons are confined to move in planes), the voltage difference increases as a series of steps with increasing magnetic field.

Its been rumored that some ufo's use tiles on their outer hull and these tiles made up of alternating layers of Bismuth and I believe magnesium.
I'll have to look up the information again. Maybe when these tiles are electrically charged they either produce an anti-gravity field or just resist the pull of gravity.

Just like you can make a voltaic pile of two alternating metals for a battery, maybe when you combine the right two metals and introduce a charge maybe they float or something like that. The experiment would be simple to perform as most metals can be readily purchased in small manageable quantities.

Regular bird shot is made up of Bismuth. Its heavy like lead but not as toxic.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carbon based life form
Having said that, I am not convinced Bob Lazar is full of crap.

I am convinced that Bob Lazar is full of it. The whole of the Bob Lazar tale appears to me to be a distraction from the 'real' story.

Here are a couple of links to some audio interviews you may find interesting.

John Dering Interview part 1

John Dering Interview Part 2

Stan Deyo audio Interview

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

maybe you should have put the buzzword "element 115" in the title, so people like Gazrok would pick up on it...

Well, took me a while, but while researching bismuth, I stumbled on this old thread. I do know that you can get little home levitation tricks that use bismuth to make things appear to float. But, more related to magnets than any kind of antigravity.

The very idea of antigravity seems to require it being a force, whereas relativity puts it more as the consequence of the curvature of space/time. LIke one mentioned above, for it to exist, it would seem to violate the equivalence principle. Of course, stranger things have happened in science though, so who knows.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
best thing about bismuth is how seriously pretty it is when artificially grown, like this epic crystaline picture.

Beautiful.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Uh oh... Lazar may have been right. according to some very very prestigious scientist/theoreticians a graviton appears to be a double copy of a gluon. a gluon is the carrier of the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus of atoms together. Lazar claimed that gravity and the strong force were essentially the same thing. so do these guys:

www.scientificamerican.com...

and these guys are not fringer kooks either. they are recipients of the most prestigious prize in theoretical physics.

at any rate. Bob is right about bismuth and element 115 being very similar to each other in terms of nucleonic structure and i have others repeating that it has odd gravitational properties though i do not know if that is a case of them repeating stuff Lazar said or not. i do think i have seem mentions that predate Lazar's claims though. and though i would dearly love the claim of unusual gravity properties for bismuth to be true i do not know for sure. it should be easy enough to check; though it is not as easy as just measuring rate of fall. apparently you have to align the oddly shaped nuclei so that the majority are oriented in the same direction rather like inducing iron to become a magnet. if the protruding "gravity" force field is randomly aligned then the field will be cancelled out over all just like when the magnetic domains in iron are randomly oriented there is no magnetic field. anyway the claims also involve rotating a disk of aligned bismuth.

most of this stuff makes sense because if the strong force could poke out of a nucleus past the electron radius in any element you would think it would be easier for that to happen if the nucleus was not spherical. Bismuth has that odd proton sticking out there just like element 115. if i recall correctly there is another metal or two that has the same sort of nucleus. but bismuth is the heaviest and would have a bigger gluon field.

come to think of it though didn't wallace's patents that date to 1971 involve bismuth disks? IDK. if so then that predates Lazar doesn't it?

edit on 14-1-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: grammatical errors and left out good stuff too.

new topics

top topics

join