It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The White Rodney King

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
A Black police officer in Philadelphia hit a white suspect eight times AFTER he was handcuffed….

Link

“…The video showed Officer Michael Collins, who is black, striking Baum eight times during the arrest – even after he had handcuffed his white charge. As is the standard procedure Collins was transferred to desk duty pending an investigation…”

How many of you have even heard about this incident? Let alone are berated by every media source about it? Not a peep, almost none of us have heard about this.

For the record, I personally don’t have an issue with the lack of media coverage over this incident and don’t think it’s racial, but it’s truly fascinating that if the races were reversed and it was captured on video, this is all that we would see on the news for a month. Riots and general mayhem would ensure for sure.

This story is proof (like we need any more) that we only see the news that the media wants us to see so they can sell more papers or gain more viewers. It’s disgusting.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
this is not a racist comment, just something I have noticed in my neck of the woods, Black cops beat up more on black suspects and white cops beat up more on white suspects. Occassionally when those lines gets crossed, cameras seems appear to capture the rarity of the incident. Cops sometimes do go overboard, some justifiably, some not.

you're right, it hasn't really made it into the mass media, or faux propaganda machine yet. Give it time, I'm sure someone like O'Reilly or Linda Vester will pick it up and run with it. and it will all that we talk about for the next 2 weeks...(i hope not
)

[edit on 5-17-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
lol i got nothing to add really but an ad on that site made me laugh.

well i'll add this, all police brutality sucks, it sucks we let them get away this

They are here to SERVE AND PROTECT US Because we gave them the ability to do so.

I'd like to see someone actually buy these shirts lol I just think it's funny - commies aren't cool- haha

not nearly as cool as t-shirt hell though, i think it'd be funny to see someone wearing the one that says

"My Mexican Works For Less Than Your Mexican" - Hey maybe Presidente Fox could wear one haha or like endorse them atleast.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What would happen if a Latin-American Cop would beat the crap out of an Indian-American civilian?

Just shows one thing - and that is not Racism, but the Rise of the Police State: the brutality of the Police over the People, that they are supposed to Protect.

The State versus the People.

[edit on 17/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
What would happen if a Latin-American Cop would beat the crap out of an Indian-American civilian?

Just shows one thing - and that is not Racism, but the Rise of the Police State.

exactamundo man "I... I was just doing my job (following orders)"

I trust not any cop.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Originally posted by Souljah

Just shows one thing - and that is not Racism, but the Rise of the Police State.

exactamundo man "I... I was just doing my job (following orders)"

I trust not any cop.

Got that Right!

Hey - nice T-shirts up there, maN. Would love to have one of them "Commies Arent Cool" ones! They be sayin "Commies arent Cool", but wearing the image of Che Guevara on their T-shirt! A Bad commercial is still a Commercial ya know.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I need to disagree with you guys.

I trust ALL POLICE officers. Are some corrupt? Sure, every industry has some corruption. But the overwhelming majority are decent people trying to do a good job.

I know plenty of officers and some are good friends. They are real people like you and me and have the same morals and standards.

I find most people who are scared of or hate authorities, have something to hide from them...

But back to the topic:

You will never see mass media coverage regarding (I hate this term): reverse discrimination. It simply doesn’t sell papers.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
cops are indeed scum....they want nothing more to bust you...my friend has been arrested 2 times for weapon charges...the first one they had to take the rule book out to see what to charge him with because most of the "weapons"
in his car were props for a stupid movie we were making...and the second time they illegally searched his car....i do not trust any cop, they are not out to protect our rights, they are out to arrest me

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Skippytjc where do you live because if the cops there are mostly nices guys I am moving there. I live in a little country town in ohio and EVERY cop here thinks they are better then you because they inforce the law. I have never met a cop here and said hey that was a good guy. I have a friend who was handcuffed then droped on his head 3 times rubbed his face in the gravel to cut his face then maced him in the cuts all my friend did was get smart with them.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Apparently skippytjc lives in a Happy-Police Land.

Well, if I look at his posts and comments again:

I trust ALL POLICE officers.

I know plenty of officers and some are good friends

Hmmm, maybe he IS a Police Officer too?

He trusts all of them, he knows plenty of them and they are good friends!

Maybe...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Man, I can’t wait until you guys actually NEED a police officer. I bet your tune will change when one saves your life or helps you when you need it.

Souljah: I am not a police officer, and you don’t need to be one to have good experiences with them.

Want to know my secret? I am a good, law abiding citizen and I do good things. You see, non criminals have nothing to fear from the police. So, its curious to me some of you have such negative views of authority....Makes me wonder what kinds of things you guys do to get that kind of negative attention...Mmmm...

I will raise my son to respect the police and view them as a resource, not something to fear.

But, as always you people have brought a thread so off course it hurts. This post is more about media than the police. Anybody actuallu have anything to say about the topic?

[edit on 17-5-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Souljah: I am not a police officer, and you don’t need to be one to have good experiences with them.

I am not a Police Officer either, and I dont have good experiences with the Police.

First rule: When you need a Cop, there isn't one in a Mile!

Second rule: When you Dont need a Cop, there are Plenty around!

I am not afraid of Police. I just dont Trust them - if thats a Crime, well then I am guilty of it!

Anyway, back to the topic - Yes, I have the same question in my head: Why are the American Media NOT showing how this Police Officer brutally kicked the crap out of somebody, already handcuffed?

PS: If you look at your title, its pretty much Anti-Police: Rodney King IS the Symbol of Police Brutality.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

A Black police officer in Philadelphia hit a white suspect eight times AFTER he was handcuffed….

Wow, irony and hypocrisy in one social event, awesome!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Okay folks, let's keep it civil and on topic. This thread was started to talk about police brutality, not why or why not we should trust police officers. So stop bashing each other, please.

[edit on 5/17/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I grew up in a rough neighborhood and even when I was on the other side of cops I still saw a few of them that weren't all that bad, If it wasn't for one giving me a very big break and not labeling me for life I would not have never gotten out of my past life with a virtually clean record. Well his partner and him did keep the evidence for themselves but at least I wasn't in system which has made it easier for me to move on once I decided to change my life. A lot of times people have gotten arrested here and end up with as much as half of the real evidence being into the official report, I know of a least half a dozen such examples, but they also give you less time because of less evidence so you don’t really want to bring it up in court, especially when you get a plea for a few years when you could have gone in for over a dime with everything you caught with.

closer to this topic, blacks cops have tended to be a bit rougher where I grew up, but the flip side is they grew up in similar environment and had more experience with non-white neighborhoods and would mostly rough up real criminals, unlike some white cops from the suburbs who can't tell the difference between a drug dealer or banger and some working smuck getting home from a long day's work. That's what rubs a lot of minorities the wrong way about cops, they don’t mind them going a little bit over the edge, I mean minorities suffer the bulk of the crime load in this country but it always seems to be the non-criminal types who get pulled over for no reasons and wind up steps away from a full cavity search and treated like BLANK.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I couldn't find it on the linked page.
Wasn't Reginald Denny the white Rodney King? But those weren't cops.....so there is no "White Rodney King" , is there?
It's some lovely race baiting propaganda, but it's bulls**t and being further inflated here by the threads author, by saying "AFTER he was cuffed". Here is the direct quote from the article:

" The video showed Officer Michael Collins, who is black, striking Baum eight times during the arrest – even after he had handcuffed his white charge.

AFTER is not stated in the article in that context, but again, by this thread's author looking to race bait.
The idiocy of comparing what could be a thug/convicted criminal resisting & needing to be subdued VS. a man in the middle of an unrelenting whupp azz circle by criminal cops is PROPAGANDA & RACE BAITING.

Maybe that's why that site & the articles "author" encourage readers to

Fascist are as Fascist do, I suppose. Gotta luv that Military Anology at every turn!

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Bout Time]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
It's some lovely race baiting propaganda, but it's bulls**t and being further inflated here by the threads author..

AFTER is not stated in the article in that context, but again, by this thread's author looking to race bait.
The idiocy of comparing what could be a thug/convicted criminal resisting & needing to be subdued VS. a man in the middle of an unrelenting whupp azz circle by criminal cops is PROPAGANDA & RACE BAITING.

Maybe that's why that site & the articles "author" encourage readers to

[edit on 18-5-2005 by Bout Time]

Wow, that’s one hell of a personal attack on me. You all but call me a racist. Its funny, you jump all over the word "After" that I use, but it’s an accurate description of the event.

You clearly have a bug up your @$$ about me, otherwise your attack on my post doesn’t make any sense.

You are also basically stating its OK to hit handcuffed suspects what kind of twisted mindset is that? Its ironic you call the site and apparently myself a fascist when you openly state you condone beating handcuffed suspects. Sounds pretty hypocritical.

And as far as the racial "baiting" comment, I can’t see how you get that from this post, but you have an agenda against me so I guess that’s your justification. I should also mention I am in an interracial marriage and have a mixed race child. But since you apparently know everything, I am a racist and guilty of racial baiting with this post.

Let me guess: You are the officer who did the beating? Because that would explain your twisted position on this post and your comments about me...

[edit on 18-5-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sorry for the confusion, Skippy, but, I have no issue with you.
My brother, god father & uncle are cops, and I used to be a nightclub bouncer in college tossing folks out to the cop on the corner, so I know of issues first hand where the force has to be applied.
Why would you consider it a personal attack if I'm pointing out your embellishment? Getting a thug compliant VS. handcuffing him & THEN (After) beating him down evoke two different responses...you we're trying to solicit the latter. If we had a video, Icould be agreeing with you, since I've also seen police abuse first hand & am not a fan of rouge/undertrained cops.
Your position is that the cop deserves equal footing in 'blind' consideration of the event with that of a repeat criminal....because he's black? Yo're race baiting even if you don't know it. The site's author is clearly doing so. And yes, Fascism is predicated on propaganda & "getting out the message". The site evoking readers to "get the story out to their brigade" cements that perception.
As for your interacial relationship, congratulations & best wishes to you & your family. But....what mixing are we talking about ? You're a white male....is the Mrs. Black? DO Blacks, as per police abuse statistics, get abused at the same rate as Pacific Islanders, Asians, Arabs?
I interact daily with those minorities & numerous others....who all have been prejudiced against young American Black males. ....so that trump card might not mean that much. The biggest racist I personally know, happen to be Latino.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Police sometimes take things way out of hand.

Back in 1997 or 98 I forget which I attended the New Years eve festivities in Times Square where there must have been easily 100 or more cops on each corner corral.
These cops come from all the different burroughs and are not normally assigned to Manhattan.
I witnessed cops dragging people along the curbside through broken glass and puddles just because they were a little drunk or belligerent.
It would have been much easier for them to simple cuff the individual and walk them away but they chose to serve some brutality to these individuals, and one was a female no more then 20 years old and 130 pounds.
Boy I wish I would have had a camera that night.

Can't we all just get some respect?

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

if it wasn't for this "police state" all you would have to worry about is being raped, murdered, robbed in broad daylight in your own neighborhood from your wonderful caring fellow citizens. sensationalizing one case is irresponsible.

how many cops are there in the US compared to how many abuses ?

Of course there are bad cops, cops that should go to jail for what they do. But there are lots of cops putting there lives on the line for 50k a year, and we would be afghanistan without them

top topics

<<   2 >>

join