It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea In Urgent Need Of Food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
A funny thing on this. Was watching a news show on SBS a SK tv station where they had a class of elementary / middle school students on a field trip to NK.
All the kids saw was how opulent and wonderful things were in NK.
Makes you wonder

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I mean you can only build so many nukes before you need to feed someone.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I mean you can only build so many nukes before you need to feed someone.

I have said this many times. Its cruel and its terrible, but the logical solution in this case is to simply starve Kim and his followers out. The cost of a nuclear exchange on the Korean Penninsula in human and world wide environmental effects outweigh a NK famine.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
You act like if we dont give the North Korean civilians food that Kim Jong Ill will just scrap his military spending and feed his people. Thats just not going to happen.

I'm not entirely sure if you are responding to me but..

No, I, at least, don't expect not giving them food to prevent a famine will result in the collapse of his military. But I don't see the sense in, say, feeding a guy who is refuses to spend money on food, but rather wastes it on home security devices and guns, pointed at you.

Apparently. I see no evil in it. Millions die daily because of inaction on my part, well, not soley my actions.

So with your chosen course of action we have no change in Kim Jong Ill's policies and a million or so dead North Korean civilians (men, women and children). Who exactly benefits from this?

Benefits? No one. In theory it might weaken the dictatorship, but one obviously can't say that it certianly will, or will on a one to one correlation or something. I mean, I doubt those who die in this upcomming famine are going to sucessfuly revolt, heck they'll probably hate the US for not sending food. Regardless, the US lets lots of people die, even when there is good reason to not let them die, like the Fur around Darfur. Seems like it would make sense to intervene. Or the Rwanda genocide. Heck, WWII is a good example. Not getting invovled at the start was pretty silly, the US only got involved when it was attacked.
So why should the US help the North Koreans?? Its already enough of a bother helping the rather ungrateful South Koreans.

cjf

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The United States alone donated over 100,000 tons of food the NK late last year just through the World Food Program which is far less than when the US’ donations to NK peaked in 2001 around 350,000 tons of food. The amount of food supplied by the US and donated through the World Food Program has steadily declined since 2001.

Almost all of the donated food goes to market (not to the starving or needy) and is sold to the citizens, which is why so many aid programs have pulled out over the past few years, mainly as relief organizations were never allowed any control over distribution and the intended recipiets never saw a bit of food 'donations'.

And as far as a ‘revolution’ in the DPRK, never. Merely speaking ill of Kim in public not only earns the culprit a life of hard labor in a camp/prison, the entire family goes as well regardless of age and number of family members (very effective). The human rights finding over the past few years about the DRPK from various sources are shocking and the people are starving. Kim will be there until he is ‘removed’ by outsiders or passes from old age.

Informative Site

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I live in Canada, and I love my country................

BUT CANADA BUYS AND SELLS FROM NORTH KOREA !!!

crm.kotra.or.kr...

Also, check this out: Trade Between Canada & North Korea

Quote - " Economic Information (Canadian dollars in yearly averages for 2003 unless otherwise noted)

GDP in country: (billion): n/a
GDP per capita in country: n/a
GDP Growth rate: (%) n/a
Inflation: (%) n/a
Country unemployment: (%) n/a
Canadian imports from country: $91,425
Canadian exports to country $30,009,583
Main imports from country: Rubber, electrical machinery, paper, vehicles, toys/sports equip., knit apparel
Main exports to country: Largely associated with Canada's Food Aid Program; Fish and seafood, cereals
GDP in Canada: (billion) $1,214.96
GDP per capita in Canada: $38,459
Canada GDP growth rate: (%) 1.7
Inflation in Canada: (%) 2.7
Canada Unemployment: (%) 7.6
FDI in Canada: (million) n/a
CDI in this country: (million) n/a
The above is from this link>>>>
www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca...

I know the numbers are small, but I think they should be smaller;
RIGHT AROUND ZERO!!!

I know Canada has traded nuclear technology with NK in the past>>>>>>

www.nti.org...
Look at the 16th entry on the list.

I realize this was back in 1972, but think back..........
Canada should not have been transfering nuclear technology to this country.

I have only one request........ America has the power, so go kick Kim in the ass before he kicks you.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
That's a little extreme isn't it? $91,000 in Korean imports is probably just one container of crap for the dollar store, or a few thousand people buying mail order chia pets and pet rocks. And a Korean immigrant going home 33 years ago hardly qualifies as nuclear trading.. Don't worry, Canada's not going to be named as part of the "axis of evil".

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
That's a little extreme isn't it? $91,000 in Korean imports is probably just one container of crap for the dollar store, or a few thousand people buying mail order chia pets and pet rocks.

Don't forget bonzai kittens. Those are supposed to be popular these days

On topic, if all these people are starving because of prioritization(ex: military getting 'first dibs' on everything), and they are angry at the nations that are not sending food, I believe that they will not even consider revolting for fear of being killed, but simply just join their military and revolt against the countries that did not help.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
A funny thing on this. Was watching a news show on SBS a SK tv station where they had a class of elementary / middle school students on a field trip to NK.
All the kids saw was how opulent and wonderful things were in NK.
Makes you wonder

he keeps a tour open thru the only nice part of the country...
the few reporters that have been allowed to do a documentary there, were always sure to point out that the city only looks good fromt he angle they show.
it is depressed elsewhere...
it is a "showcity"
kims little themepark, where everyday is saturday, and the birds always sing (with guns aimed at their heads)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join