It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea In Urgent Need Of Food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The UN World Food Program has warned that without immediate contributions of food to North Korea, famine will once again break out in the country. This warning comes as North and South Korea prepare for a second day of talks in which the North is expected to ask for more aid and agricultural fetiliser.

news.bbc.co.uk
The WFP has not had a fresh offer of food aid for North Korea since October 2004.

Richard Ragan says "without new support the WFP will have to suspend aid altogether to about 3.5 million people and focus on a core 3m most at risk, including the elderly and infants."

The situation is already worrying, with malnutrition described as widespread, especially among children.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is anybody surprised that no-one wants to contribute food to NK?

I realise we can not hold the people of NK responsible for their leaders actions, but with Kim Jong II acting the way he is, nobody will want to help!

I hope that some good will come from the coming talks and that SK uses their need of food to persuade Pyongyang to halt their nuclear weapons program.

It has been said lately that NK are only raising nuclear tensions in the hope that they will get a better offer of aid!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
This is actually an on-going issue with North Korea. The link below is a quick Google Search that I did and the first page shows that this has been a yearly problem since at least 1995
North Korea food shortage

As my sife is from South Korea, we watch a good deal of SK news progams, and they constantly are doing exposes on the issue.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You're right, it's been going on for ten years at least but not reported anymore. It's one of the main reasons Kim wanted nukes, so he could force deals on aid for the country - not that I think he gives a damn about the people starving but they're less likely to revolt on a full stomach. I remember seeing a documentary on North Korea years ago, they have no gas for vehicles and you don't see a single car in the streets but there's always a police officer in full dress uniform directing imaginary traffic at each street corner. It's like Alice in Wonderland and Kim's the Mad Hatter. I have no doubt that he'll nuke someone if he doesn't get what he wants, he doesn't live in our reality so he doesn't think the consequences will affect him.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
as I said in another thread PETA can send those dogs they displayed so proudly with their models in their trendy black dresses...

or maybe Kim Jongy can use his nuclear program to cause mutant chickens large enough to feed the world if he wants his peple to have food, he's going to hand to bend over and take it like man.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
how would we react if mexico started building nukes? then started "asking" for money and food...

we do not negotiate with terrorists, so would we just let it go?
or get pissed?

I say, let the people starve until they march up the door of Kims palace and take the country back for themselves...

a man with nothing to loose, is the most dangerous of all...

and I hope his people realize they have 2 choices... die by starvation, or maybe die of gunshots while exercising a revolt.

It makes sense to me...
but then, since they can't hear anything from the outside world, maybe they think we are all cannibalistic monsters that thier great leader protects them from (as one of his nice propaganda posters states)

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
but then, since they can't hear anything from the outside world, maybe they think we are all cannibalistic monsters that thier great leader protects them from (as one of his nice propaganda posters states)

That's it exactly. He doesn't let them see how the rest of the world is living, they believe we're all starving also and want them for food.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

how would we react if mexico started building nukes? then started "asking" for money and food...

we do not negotiate with terrorists, so would we just let it go?
or get pissed?

I say, let the people starve until they march up the door of Kims palace and take the country back for themselves...

a man with nothing to loose, is the most dangerous of all...

and I hope his people realize they have 2 choices... die by starvation, or maybe die of gunshots while exercising a revolt.

It makes sense to me...

OKAYYY...

What about this: Give us the nukes and we give you some food. I bunch of chickens for one nuclear component. Heck, by the time we get done he will be fat and we will be happy.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROMAD

and I hope his people realize they have 2 choices... die by starvation, or

OKAYYY...

What about this: Give us the nukes and we give you some food. I bunch of chickens for one nuclear component. Heck, by the time we get done he will be fat and we will be happy.

granted, that would work... but it all goes back to the addage, teach a man to build a nuke to trade for fish, or just teach him to fish...
which is better?

Kim will use this tactic over and over again,
the only solution is his people have to realize that the only thing wrong with NK is thier crazy leader...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Spoken in truth. I'd like to think the general populace has not been braindrained into thinking we hate them as Americans. Maybe too much to hope for.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
awww, looks like dr evil over there should have spent more money on food instead of nukes.

let them eat cake!!! hahaha

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
KJI is always working us over for money. I say we call his bluff this time. He's like the spoiled kif that won't listen, and throws a fit to get his way.....

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Kim Jong Ill does not care either way whether his "subjects" starve to death. The decision is ours: do we allow millions of North Koreans to die because of the actions of one man? Or do we act with humanity and feed the starving North Koreans?

Either option will have a recalcitrant Kim Jong Ill in power in North Korea. I say we help prevent massive suffering.

[edit on 17/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Gee, and it's the World's fault? Maybe instead of everyone so vehemently defending NK's need to create weaponizing reactors (or reactors of any sort) perhaps forcing Kim Jong-Il to spend some dough on his own society's economy, expecially in things like food and water, would be a better issue to protest on.

Instead there are so many here defending Kim's right to "protect hmself for Evil America", and advancing the Chinese nuclear cats-paw. Totally ignoring the conditions his dictatorship has reduced his nation to.

Let the Bush-Bashing begin, I'm sure we'll all hear about how America is needing food shipped in by worldwide charities to keep the entire population of the US from starving due to resources for the war...

Bah

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Kim Jong Ill does not care either way whether his "subjects" starve to death. The decision is ours: do we allow millions of North Koreans to die because of the actions of one man? Or do we act with humanity and feed the starving North Koreans?

Either option will have a recalcitrant Kim Jong Ill in power in North Korea. I say we help prevent massive suffering.

[edit on 17/5/05 by subz]

yes, but do you realize we are essentially feeding them so that he can feed them propaganda of how we caused the food problems to begin with... they must learn... their leader is crazy and holding them back... THEY must take the stand... then I am all for helping them in any way... once Kim is out of power...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong but it all goes back to the addage, teach a man to build a nuke to trade for fish, or just teach him to fish...
which is better?

You can catch a lot of fish with nukes tho. Cooks 'em too!

Wasn't the deal the the Clinton Administration made with NK to receive more food in exchange for not developing any kind of nuke program? Didn't they agree to it, and then just continue with the nuke program anyway?

Since NK won't listen to the world, why should the world give NK food? How much money does NK spend on its military? And they are asking for food from other countries?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You act like if we dont give the North Korean civilians food that Kim Jong Ill will just scrap his military spending and feed his people. Thats just not going to happen.

If you can live with the death of millions knowing full well you could of prevented it then fine. You obviously have a different thought pattern to myself.

So with your chosen course of action we have no change in Kim Jong Ill's policies and a million or so dead North Korean civilians (men, women and children). Who exactly benefits from this?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Population numbers are hard to come by for this secretive nation, but estimates put it around 23 million. 25% of that 23 mil. is under the age of 14. And about 7% are over the age of 65. They also have an inbalance in the sex ratio with women outnumbering the men in all age groups except the over 65 crowd and the under 14 group.( they don't practice female infanticide like China or India )

The entire country is smaller than the State of Mississippi and only 14% of the land is arable.

Now you have a standing army of 1 million that get priority over any of the countries limited resources.

Should the rest of the world feed a country because they spend money on bombs instead bread? NO, NO, NO...................

I know that the starving children are not to blame for the political decisions made by the mighty Kim, but do you want to unload a ship full of grain just to feed the enemies army?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So if your neighbor comes to your house and asks for food to feed his starving family because he is saving his money to buy a gun to kill you with, you should feed them?

Wouldnt this just be another example of the evil USA interfering in another countries internal affairs?

anxietydisorder makes a point too. It will just go to help feed his troops to keep the people enslaved so whats the point? The people are going to starve anyway

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Amuk]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There is dissent in the country among the populace. The hungrier they get the more angry and bold they will become.

Nth Korea will fall sooner rather than later.....

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yep, there's absolutely no reason for the U.S. or any other nation to give food aid to North Korea. The sooner everything is cut off, the better as the regime would collapse quickly and less people would starve.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join