It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blu-ray Standard, Not A Done Deal.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
From what I heard a few weeks ago the major players had all decided on a common standard based on Blu-ray. Now Toshiba is saying the conversion will be cost prohibitive.

I don't want to see another Beta - VHS war again. I had friends buy those expensive Beta machines only to throw them away a few years later.

: Negotiations to reach a compromise on the standardization of next-generation DVDs could be headed for a deadlock as the group led by Toshiba has said it will be too difficult to modify the structure of their disc along the rival camp's standards.

:
www.asahi.com...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Bah. I don't want to see another medium like this period. Download and Play is the future IMHO. CDs, DVDs, HDDVD and BRDVD are just a waste of resources in my mind.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I have a lot of data that I need to back up and secure. I need to be able to carry large files around.

A 25 Gig disc would be perfect for that. I can't wait until this hits the North American market.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The kink in the waterworks of 'download and play' concept is the omission of a target resource. There should always be a way for folks to keep archives of data that is important to them, ergo I don't see cd's or dvd's going away anytime soon. One feeds the other so to speak...

We've seen this time and before every time a new physical medium leaves the arena of research and development and enters into the mainstream. Eventually someone will complain how expensive a switch over will be, failing to mention that it takes some time for people to adopt them. To me, it's nothing new...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Crysstaafur, you're ignoring the Bittorrent effect though. More and more people are choosing to "Steal" thier shows/music/movies etc rather then pay for it. This is a market opportunity to disrupt the establishment, by a smaller player, say Apple for Instance whom are starting up a Movie Download and Play service this Summer. Yahoo is also getting into the game with 79 cent song downloads.

Here is how I see the next distribution medium looking like...

www.pbs.org...

BlueRay and HDDVD will be stillborn if I get my way. Backup for files, sure. Next distrubtion medium? Only for Console lovers(and that is changing soon as well, both M$ and Sony plan on distributing content over the net with both new systems)

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
PS3 and XBOX360 will both feature Blu-ray!

new topics

top topics

join