It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 'Superpower behind' Burma Blasts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Burma's Government is blaming a recent series of bomb attacks in the capital, Rangoon, on rebels trained abroad by "a world famous organisation of a certain superpower nation". They have declined to comment further on this "certain superpower".

news.bbc.co.uk
Burma's government says rebels trained abroad by a "superpower" were behind last week's bombings at three shopping centres in the capital, Rangoon.
Nineteen people are known to have died in the blasts, with 69 injured.

The explosives used were not available in the country, and the plot was funded by a "world famous organisation", the military government said.

The junta said it believes the attacks were led by the Thailand-based All Burma Students Democratic Front.

"It is crystal clear that the terrorists... and the time bombs originated from training conducted with foreign experts at a place in a neighbouring country by a world famous organisation of a certain superpower nation," Information Minister Kyaw Hsan told reporters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is like an international game of cluedo. The Burmese have given us a snippet of information and nothing else, leaving us to guess who they believe the culprits might be.

Their could only be two, maybe three contenders in this, depending on your definition of Superpower. That alone leaves the US, Russia and possibly China as the only ones the Burmese could be hinting at.

Although, if you follow the generally accepted view of Superpowers today, it really only leaves on option on who they are accusing and that would be the US. Especially seeing as the attacks where carried out by pro-democracy groups and China and Russia aren't reknowned for their support of such groups.

[edit on 16/5/05 by stumason]

[edit on 16/5/05 by stumason]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow! Isn't this an interesting coincidence?

www.atsnn.com...

2 years - an explosives expert - a laptop full of tricks, and a number of false statements by the Canadian and Thai governements concerning his disappearance.

hmmm.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Not to mention one certain world famous organisation is well known of using these tactics in bringing regime change and unrest in other nations.

This organisation also trained Osama Bin Laden and various opposition groups in country's like Cuba, Argentina, Afghanistan, Colombia and a whole flury of other nations.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Since there is only one superpower....

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Would you believe that someone voted no for this:

A contributor voting NO on your submission: (submission) (news) 'Superpower behind' Burma Blasts has indicated they did so because they feel your topic really isn't appropriate for ATSNN. Keep in mind that ATSNN is the news portal service of a conspiracy and alternative topic community.

Not conspiracy related? Thats BS, this is a conspiracy all over!

Thats why people don't like posting News Submissions, because of moron voters like that.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It is Bush's fault [the US].
I knew it....:shk:

All this guess work over what "superpower" implies.
Maybe the BBC or the Burma government can clarify a bit more on their use of "superpower."
Would that be a 'regional' or 'world' "superpower"?

seekerof

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

From the source article
The Thai-based National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, which has led a government in exile since 1990, has alleged the government might have had the bombs planted to blame the opposition.

This sounds like it may be likely. Pro-democracy groups, whether funded by the U.S. or not, generally don't attack civilians.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Well, I definitely have to say that the CIA is the world famous organization in question. Amazing how they do things over there... The Information Minister, for crying out loud!

They must really be on to something to be throwing around such big accusations. Alas, I am saddened that it may be true.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

It is Bush's fault [the US].
I knew it....

All this guess work over what "superpower" implies.
Maybe the BBC or the Burma government can clarify a bit more on their use of "superpower."
Would that be a 'regional' or 'world' "superpower"?

Seeker, whats the problem? Anytime the US might be implicated in something slightly dodgy (not altogether too bad, seeing as the Junta is a bad bunch) then you come out crying like a baby.

The BBC have said nothing of the sort, they are repeating the words of the Burmese Government. If you have an issue with the wording, then I suggest you take it up with them.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The problem is simple...do they present any evidence for what they are claiming? i read the article and nothing. They claim that the explosives are very high tech and that they think that a democratic student front is the one behind the attacks, and because an organization in Washington funds this democratic group that the US is behind this...

And obviously the poster of the article did not even mention the following.

The Thai-based National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma, which has led a government in exile since 1990, has alleged the government might have had the bombs planted to blame the opposition.

Excerpted from.
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Stu, Seekerof is merely a Bush apologist and would argue against absolutely anything that remotely implicates his beloved United States government in wrong doing.

I knew Myanmar would start coming to the fore. Its geographical location must be irresistable to the likes of the USA. Its potential as a forward military base against India, North Korea and China are easily seen. The Rangoon government is pure evil so the guise of "spreading democracy" is perfect here.

Myanmar has a massive border with Thailand and the staggering amount of terrorist incidents in the Thai kingdom in the last 6 months makes for a case that Rangoon is supporting terrorism.

I posted about this last month (30/4/05)

Originally posted by subz
As an addendum I think people should keep an eye on Myanmar (aka Burma). Their current ruling junta makes Saddam look like a pussy cat. The country is a human rights blackhole and the United States wouldnt have to look hard for a reason to invade this strategic gem of a country.

Its located nicely inbetween India and China as well as being in a "strategic location near major Indian Ocean shipping lanes" (according to the CIA World Fact Book). Taking this country and making it friendly to United States forces would be a major coup. Much easier to acheive under human rights grounds than either Afghanistan or Iraq were. Under the shadow of the two likely flashpoints of Taiwan and North Korea I can see Burma coming to the fore some time in the near future.

Im watching Myanmar with great interest, thanks for the thread Stu

[edit on 16/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's simply too bad that a connection can possibly be made. If someone told me, "Hey man, did you hear about those attacks in Burma? Yeah, the Information Minister of Burma said that the country that committed the acts waves a red and white flag with a maple leaf on it, and drink beer and say "eh" a lot," I would laugh.

I read an article like this about the U.S. and say, "Next!"

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

And obviously the poster of the article did not even mention the following.

I am not trying to theorise who did what to whom, I am merely posting the news.

I will readily admit that the Burmese Government are a nasty group and seeing them go would be a good thing.

However, killing innocents is not a good thing.

Besides, isn't claiming the Burmese did it to themselves slightly reminiscent of similar claims made against the US for 9/11? True or not, the claims were made.

No doubt you will strongly deny these claims as conspiratorial rubbish whilst making those claims yourself against another? Hmmmm........

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by stunmason
No doubt you will strongly deny these claims as conspiratorial rubbish whilst making those claims yourself against another? Hmmmm........

Did i make that claim? i just posted what was said by the opposition group. i never claimed they were right. i do not have any proof in favor or against either one of them, and with the information given in this article i doubt anyone does have any crystal clear evidence of who and for what reason these attacks were made.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
No, your right, there is next to bugger all info on this apart from what the Burmese have said. However, i felt it was prudent to post the news article due to its relevence in today's geopolitical climate.

I expect more will come out soon enough if they are serious about there claims, but they must have at least some evidence to back it up, otherwise they will look pretty stupid at the end of the day.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

as posted by subz
Stu, Seekerof is merely a Bush apologist and would argue against absolutely anything that remotely implicates his beloved United States government in wrong doing.

Oh my.
*Bang*
You got me....*falls on the ground looking dead or should I say "banned"*

Didn't I just read you making a commenting about another members "bias" in another thread? Ironic that you would insinuate such in this, no?
Your funny....not.
Hypocritical and full of irony? Yep.

The BBC is just as biased as FauxNews. *shudders*
Oh, and I love my beloved United States of America. Bet.
Still didn't get no clarification of which "superpower" was being referenced in the article, though.
Would that be a regional or world "superpower"?

seekerof

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

The BBC is just as biased as FauxNews. *shudders*
Oh, and I love my beloved United States of America. Bet.
Still didn't get no clarification of which "superpower" was being referenced in the article, though.
Would that be a regional or world "superpower"?

Seeker, there is no bias in the report whatsoever. The BBC makes no assumptions on who did what, it is merely a short report on claims made by the Burmese. They do not even mention the US, that was me. And I mentioned it due to the Burmese saying "world-famous agency" of a "superpower".

I stated in my report that this could be one of three depending on your perception of the term superpower. The way the Burmese are talking and the fact it was done by Pro-Democracy groups leaves the US as the likely target of their claims.

Can you see China backing Pro-Democracy groups?

I can't see India backing any terrorists myself nor do they have a "world-famous agency" so that is the two regional superpowers out of the way.

As stated above, we shall have to see how this develops over the next few days. If they have anything to back their claims up, we shall see who they are finger-pointing at.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

How are you going to get clarification from Stu on that? The Burmese government were ambigous on purpose and you shouldnt hold Stu responsible for that fact.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why is it, world politics sounds so much like high school?

Someone drops a ridiculously thinly veiled hint, starts a rumor, makes another student a pariah. Or, to make themselves feel better, starts a rumor about a student who is alread the focus of derision. Or the child who tattles on another to try to shift blame from himself.

In the high school scenario, we know what happens when the lies and rumors and derision and persecution build. The target goes postal.

I wonder how long the Western world will keep accepting these sorts of rumors, from tin horn dictators and generalissimo's. I wonder how long the liberals will continue to accept as truth the statements of the same dictators they just renounced at a women's rights rally the week before?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
Why is it, world politics sounds so much like high school?

Or the bully that gets everything they want by using force and acting all macho. Picking on the weak and stealing their lunch money.

Nice analogy, I like it

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join