It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: George Galloway Arrives In The U.S To Clear His Name

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Maverick firebrand British MP, George Galloway, arrived in Washington D.C today. He is in the U.S capitol to clear his name infront of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. They accuse him of fraud in the Iraq Oil-For-Food scandal. Speaking to reporters he said "I have no expectation of justice from a group of Christian fundamentalist and Zionist activists under the chairmanship of a neocon (President) George Bush who is pro-war,"

uk.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maverick British lawmaker George Galloway arrived in Washington on Monday and said he was determined to prove the "absurdity" of allegations that he benefited from the U.N.'s oil-for-food program for Iraq.

Galloway is set to answer questions on Tuesday at a hearing of the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, which released documents it said showed ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein gave Galloway the rights to export 20 million barrels of oil under the now-defunct U.N. oil-for-food humanitarian program.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You gotta admire this guys determination and no B.S voicing of his views. He is the polar opposite of President Bush and having him loose infront of a live T.V broadcast is going to be very very interesting to say the least, just ask Jeremy Paxton

Calling a spade a spade is his forte and refering to the senate as a "group of Christian fundamentalist" has my backing. I dont necessarily agree with everything he says but in sticking it to the American Senate i'm with him the whole way

Give them one for me George

[edit on 16/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I agree it will be interesting, but I'm hoping more along the lines that he will be torn apart and proven to be a traitor and a liar.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A traitor to what? A government you hold in contempt?

Why is it that Americans believe 100% that Saddams documents implicating George Galloway are telling the truth. Yet hold any of the same documents explaining that Saddam had no WMD's post 1991 with contempt and explain them away as lies.

Some consistancy please

BTW, George Galloway doesnt do "torn apart". He wont pull any punches and I dont quite think the Senate is prepared for his special brand of invective.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I agree it will be interesting, but I'm hoping more along the lines that he will be torn apart and proven to be a traitor and a liar.

Traitor? Explain....

If Mr galloway had the rights to export 20 Million barrels of oil (worth about $100 million dolloars, give or take) do you think someone would have noticed him being so stinkingingly bloody rich?

In fact, why would he even run for re-election (where an MP earns about £45K/yr) when he has $100 million in the bank?

Bloody stupid idea, really............

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Supporting a regime that's firing on planes in your air force sounds like traitor to me, but perhaps you guys have a different definition.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Supporting a regime that's firing on planes in your air force sounds like traitor to me, but perhaps you guys have a different definition.

Again, please explain... I am having difficulty understanding where your coming from. How did George Galloway "support" Saddam?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Don't expect that he is going to get his name cleared. There may be few surprises thrown at him in the Subcommittee meeting.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well let's see what evidence against him the Senate committee has. The U.S. Senate usually doesn't make claims that they can't back up.

Edit:

Here's what a British member of the ATS community had to say about him:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/16/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
If you disagree with what your government is carrying out in your name you have the right to say so.

Were the Germans who helped the Allies fight against the Nazis traitors as well?

The term is relative and one mans traitor is another mans patriot

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Well let's see what evidence against him the Senate committee has. The U.S. Senate usually doesn't make claims that they can't back up

Not trying tom defend the man, Dj, as personally i do not like him either. Seeing how he manipulated the muslim vote to get elected made me cringe but I think he has a right to defend himself before we all jump the gun.

Lets wait and see shall we?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Whatever the case, he will accuse the Senate of being corrupt, power mongering, absurd, selfish, and if I were there I’d add evil.

Go Galloway!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Senate Commitees such as this will rarely have someone before them with the drive, eloquence, and balls standing before them.

The question that he will raise is the legitimacy of the documents which appear to show his involvement in the oil for food scandel.

This question he should raise is why a commitee set up to ostensibly to find the truth failed to call witnesses who could shed light on the matter. Unless of course it was not the truth that was being sought but a pre-arranged conclusion.

Few support Galloway in the UK but even less would suggest he has billions of dollars of oil money stashed away somewhere. If he did why would he stand as a constituency MP earning a measly £80,000 a year ?

Many have tried to pin unfounded claims on Galloway in the past and all have regretted it after he has taken them to court for slander.

It is just as likely to be a stitch up job as it is to be true, infact the Daily Telegraph published similar documents which were miraculously rescued from the bombed and burned out oil ministry. Their allegations saw Galloway confidently take them to court and win damages.

Justice isn't about taking out those you don't like or disagree with at any cost it's about finding the truth.

For those that can watch Galloway at the hearings I'd advise you to do so just for the novelty. Where normally you see deference you'll see disrespect, where normally you'll see a pen pusher trying to speak, you'll see a gifted orator, even if you don't agree with what he's saying if the senators try and cross verbal swords with him they will bested because US politicians aren't born of debate as men such as Galloway.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

as posted by John Bull1
Few support Galloway in the UK but even less would suggest he has billions of dollars of oil money stashed away somewhere. If he did why would he stand as a constituency MP earning a measly £80,000 a year ?

From what I understand, nice weather in Portugal at the moment, JB1.
Been to his posh luxury villa in the former fishing village named Burgau, Portugal?
Wasn't bought with "old money," nor inherited, nor a mere salary of what you mention either...

Galloway was in Saddam's pay...

seekerof

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

And your point is what exactly?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
LMAO...
If you can't figure it out, then perhaps you do seriously need to heed Valhall's advice she gave you, huh, subz?

One was allegedly paid off by Saddam, whereas, the other was not.
The topic is George Galloway, not Donald Rumsfeld. :shk:

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I think the relative age of those pictures also bears examination.... :shk:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Seeker,

Have you got any idea how many upper and middle class Britons have holiday homes in Spain and Portugal. Why ? because they were very cheap not so long ago.

Do you know how many MPs have homes in Europe ?

Really Seeker, you need to put that to one side. No ones making a fuss about his "villa" here because everyone knows someone with one.

It's also not unusual for MPs to have another income. Many are directors of companies some are directors of many. Some MPs, like Galloway, write regular articles for the British press, many make money out of "after dinner speaking" like former conservative leader William Hague or lobby for interest groups like former finance minister Ken Clarke.

All interests are declared. If you want to see where Galloway gets his money then check the parliamentary register for declarations of interests.

Don't just put 2 and 2 together and get 5. It's beneath you.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
And seeker,

Your link to the "villa" pic doesn't work and linking to a Daily Telegraph article doesn't fill me with confidence. You do know that it is a right wing paper with close links to zionist interests and lobby groups which used fake documents to run a slander story against Galloway and had to pay him damages ?

You get the news you want but you should be more selective instead of picking outlets that just simply agree with your established view.

Have you no shame,
lol

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Excuse another post. I'm just posting this up just so yopu know that the info is there if you want to find it rather than making it up or guessing. This was the register for Oct 1997, I'm sure if anyones interested other years are up if someone wants to do a full check.

www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk...

GALLOWAY, George (Glasgow Kelvin)
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Regular column in the Mail on Sunday. (£50,001-£55,000)
Freelance journalism: Guardian, Sunday Times, Evening Standard, Independent on Sunday.
6. Overseas visits
2-4 November 1997, to Abu-Dhabi, accompanied by my partner and my parliamentary assistant, to attend a conference on the Future of the Arab World. The Government of the UAE paid for our travel and accommodation. (Registered 12 November 1997)
9-11 June 1998, to Washington, to give a lecture on Capitol Hill on the nuclear crisis in South Asia and to make a speech at the national Press Club in Washington on the same subject. Flights and hotel bills were paid by the Pakistani-American Congress. (Registered 12 June 1998)
7. Overseas benefits and gifts
November 1997, gift of a watch from the Government of the UAE during my visit to Abu-Dhabi. (Registered 12 November 1997)

www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

as posted by JohnBull1
You get the news you want but you should be more selective instead of picking outlets that just simply agree with your established view.

Your absolutely correct.
I should know better...and do.
As such, fair game is fair game.
If many to most members here can simply pull links, articles, and sourcings to back their 'a' typical views, then why can I not be able to do likewise?

Furthermore, to assert "you should be more selective" and "your established views" is quite redundant and near meaningless, is it not?
Lets be fair and real here, JB1: your links [past and present] prove otherwise?
We all have our views and sourcings that fit those views. This is not restricted to me, but does include you, yourself.

Your correcting me, but at the same time, have and are doing exactly what you are correcting me for. Interesting?

Though I am seemingly contesting what you are saying, overall, I do agree with your mentioning, though, when applied to a larger picture.

seekerof

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join