It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future is Orange

page: 1

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:12 PM
In line with the pursuit of turning the British Isles into one big Guantanamo, New Labour wants all those served with community orders to wear identifying uniform, most likely jumpsuits, most likely orange reflecting those of Gitmo detainees and the most celebrated fake beheadees of the Iraq insurgents, so-called

Suitable punishment for the young who choose the most appropriate type of wear, - the hoodie and the baseball cap, to hide themselves away from the ubiquitous all-seeing-eye of CCTV which is everywhere on these fair isles

[edit on 16-5-2005 by dh]

[edit on 16-5-2005 by dh]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:29 AM
Yeah i remember reading about it in the papers,
i think its an odd move to be honest because i dont see why you would want them in orange jumpsuits

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:39 AM
While I like the idea of people doing community service wearing an orange jump suit you have to wonder if UK tax dollars could be better spend.

Hoodies say different things in different places. In Australia and New Zealand they say that the wearer — the hoodee — is either a surfer or a skateboarder or both and therefore smiley, benign, probably a bit stoned in a friendly, dolphin-loving sort of way.

While the above paragraph is a gross generalizlistion and perhaps incorrect it dose explain why I found the ban on hoodee rather strange. The shopping mall has the right to ban differnt types of clothing just as some food outlets do.

Personaly I think the ban is lurdics I have never been scared of a hoodee.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:34 AM
Sorry Labour I got there first a decent amount of time ago:

I'm not saying send out murderers to pick litter, I want only low level non-violent criminals taken out in groups and only if they are tagged so they can be tracked if they make a run for it. They should also be clothed so they are easily visually tracked, maybe a nice orange jump suit similar to those worn by criminals in America (that should make them regret committing the crime).

Scary to think isn't it

[edit on 17-5-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:21 AM
Before this broadens off too much I think it's worth making the point that so far all these bans and the supposed controversy about "hoodee's" (whatever, hoodies, hoody's etc) have all been private owners banning these kids from private property.

It's easily tied in with the measures about community service and that level of young offending, I grant you, but nevertheless this all started with the owners of a very large shopping mall in the south-east of England (Bluewater or Lakeside?) deciding to ban kids covering their faces - hiding from the closed circuit tv? - in the malls and it has nothing to do with the gov.

(S'nothing new, it happens to some extent or another with every generation, they all end up frightening the older element of society.)

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:02 PM
With the 90% increase in youth custody orders in the past few years, and with asbos being handed out to kids with clearly no control over their behaviour - see

community service orders must eventually supplant custody for at least some asbo breaches
Then we will see orange-garbed kids who have not been charged with, tried or convicted of any crime being punished and humiliated in our public places
Another step towards Guantanamo-land

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:44 PM
Why don't we just give it a go for a while and see what happens?

I understand that the idea of drifting into a nanny/police state is not palatable with anyone, but for the sake of just doing SOMETHING?

Quite often in the matters of government, every suggestion is going to have to stand up on it's own merits in order to make the move to policy. There really is no precedence for this type of thing, so why not set some?

Surely that is better than sitting on our hands complaining about how we can't go out at night or how certain sections of the community live in daily terror. If we are not prepared as a society to tackle the larger issue at hand, that is, why are these kids out there doing these things in the first place, then maybe we should just STFU and do something constructive?

If it doesn't work, fine! Try something else! A finger on a severed artery isn't going to heal it, but at least it will stop the bleeding until something better can be done!!!!

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:41 AM
The problem with the youth of Britain (not the majority) is that they lack disipline and respect, not respect for certain people but respect for authority, a respect for human beings who have do nothing to warrent a lack of respect.

I'm fed up of the soft approach ''its not their fault, they don't have anything to do'' BS I'm afraid just because they don't have leisure centres or similar is completely no reason for them to vandalise and terrorise.

Those who spit on the very image of the law need disipline to return them into citizens who obey and repect the law.

If it takes military boot camps then so be it...

Two threads that people might like to read that relates to this issue are UK Classroom Chaos and Happy Slapping

[edit on 23-5-2005 by UK Wizard]

top topics