It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Freemasonry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I've been reading into freemasonry over the past few days, and I've learned a lot by some great sites. But one thing most sites don't cover is...what exactly is it? They delve into all the conspiracies related to them, and mention all the members of fame...but what exactly is it? What do they believe, what is the purpose?

Thanks.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malachy
I've been reading into freemasonry over the past few days, and I've learned a lot by some great sites. But one thing most sites don't cover is...what exactly is it? They delve into all the conspiracies related to them, and mention all the members of fame...but what exactly is it? What do they believe, what is the purpose?

You're looking in the wrong places. Conspiracy websites won't give you true information.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.freemason.org...

www.masonicinfo.com...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I agree with Sebatwerk this site is not the place to start learning about Freemasonry. If you will follow the links he provided it will be a good start. Though the best way to learn about Freemasonry is to talk with one in person. If you will look around in your home town you will find there are lots of us around. It may well be that you know some already, just not realize it. One on one is the best way to learn.

The internet is only a place to start, but there is too much mis-information on some sites. And it is very easy for the novis to get confused as to what they can believe.

Most of us here are more than willing to answer any questions. (I've never met a mason unwilling to help with honest questions.) But this really is not the forum for that.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
You might also find some useful information at

www.grandlodge-england.org...

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The links, while execellant web sites, are not what I'd interprate from your question, to be your answer. All assume a sertain leval of knowledge to already be present.

If you'al can bare with me just a bit I'll try and lay enough foundation to make the links a bit more beneficial.

Freemasonry today is basicily a group of men who have gotten together with the sole purpose of helping each other become the best person that they can become. To achieve this we use the tools (philosophical) that masonry provides. While these philosophical tools are readily avalable in many other places, the manor of their use is unique to masonry. There is no mystery in the fact that if a man associates with other men, trying to improve themselves, it is easier to do good (there is nothing new about peer pressure, we just use it passively as a force to improve). This is not done by any other means than that of, if a man did not want to improve himself he would not have joined in the first place. Masonry is strictly conserned with the internal aspects of man, not the external. While there is most definatly a social aspect to freemasonry that is not our purpose in being.

Like any group there are base requirements to join; Firstly you have to believe in a God, what you call Him/Her/It, is of no business to anyone in masonry, nor are we ever allowed to question or even discuss it. But that basic belief MUST be there. Secondly, you must be a Man above a certain age. (varies by local) Thirdly, you must express an intrest first. In most locals we cannot invite you, you must ask us to join. Fourthly, you must be of good moral character to start with, and wish to improve.

As with all groups there is a set of steps, or procedures to to join. Some of ours can seem a bit strange at first, but as masonry is at least 300 years old this is understandable. And most of them are kept only out of tradition and respect for those who came before. Though they do help teach the lessons of Freemasonry.

What Freemasonry is NOT: 1) A relieion. 2) A Civic club. 3) A method for social or business advancement. 5) An underground recruting place for "the new world order.

Both as an orginaization and espcially as individuals we do cheritable works and promote cheritable foundations. This is more an outgrowth of the teaching, than a primary function of Masonry. Masons are incouraged to "Lead by example", thus there have been many of leaders who "happened" to be masons, but by and large most leaders are NOT Masons. Masons are tought to be the best man they can be and to do their best to do good to all men at all times, when this is applied it cannot help but affect society in a possitve manor.

While it is true that may of our philisophies have been incorporated into society over the years, this is not due to any conspericy on our part, but through the efforts of indiduals who believe in those ideals. There have never been enough Masons in any one place to be conidered a majority, if our ideals were not acceptable to the majority of people there is no way we could have force them on society.

This is just a short beginning to what is Free Masonry. But hopefully it will help get you started on the right path. While this is not the ideal forum for this post, it is my duty to try and answer any honest question about freemasonry as to the best of my ablity.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Student
If you'al can bare with me just a bit I'll try and lay enough foundation to make the links a bit more beneficial.

Masonic Student, that was an excellent overview of the purpose of Freemasonry. One more thing that the poster of this thread should realize that we are a fraternity of men who are all working towards the same goal of spiritual self-improvement which you described. These common goals and activities that we masons share creates a bond between us that is unlike any I have ever seen elsewhere. In what other organization can you travel to ANY free country and find men who youve never met before but call you and treat you like a brother? The activities within the lodge create a bond between all masons, regardless of country, religion and politicals views.

new topics

top topics

join