It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

forum on what Secular Humanism should be.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If you were creating a religion/code-of-ethics/ideals what would they be?

To my way of thinking there is currently no obvious evidence of a God, with the possible exception of physics, so how does/would one create an organising paradigm?

Some of my thoughts:

1) Betterment of the species.

2) Improvement of one's own existence. [efficiency, peace, enjoyment, harmony]

3) Acceptance and embrace of science, knowing working with reality [the natural order of things] is effective and working against it is not.

4) Finding some balance between order and chaos. [accepting that both are necessary for life]
a) . . not allowing us to be turned into clones by some well-meaning communist [excess suffocating order]
b) . . not allowing people's lives to be subjegated without a good reason or purpose [excess unsustainable visions/goals/chaos].

5) accepting that the capacity for violence is necessary, the control and timing of that capacity is what creates civilization.

6) the creation of beauty, both external, but i think more importantly, internal beauty. [ie. beauty of design, like a finely made/designed machine, something that lasts]

7) acceptance of both one's capacity to affect the world and one's insignificance with intelligence and humility.

as a foot note it would make the most sense if these principles were practical on both an individual level and for broader goals as well. Sort of Universal if you will.

What are other people's ideas on what would make an ideal [practical?] religion/set-of-principles?

Or where do they find flaws with these proposals?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
First, there is much more evidence that there is a God, but we'll not go into that at this time. Instead, I'd ratehr respond to your main question.

Secular Humanism is man being all about man; a form of religion all it's own. The problem with this type of religion, or belief, is that as man is the center of it, man's current concept of moral and immoral is the rule of the day. This being the case, it is impossible to lay down a set of "laws" to go by.
Look at the state of the United States, for example. For the last few decades, we have done away with the concept of this being a Christian nation and are adopting a more "relative morality" style, with the constitution not being solid, but something that is "living", able to change with the whims of the Supreme Court. Because of this, we are no longer a nation governed by law, but a nation ruled by man.
See what I mean? So, why botehr with a code of conduct?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Because it gives shape and form [however vauge] to our existence.

Its says there may be no God, but you are not totally alone.

We live in this boat [Earth] together.
We need to communicate to find those things we share as goals.
Also to sort through and organize those goals.
We need to think logically and yet with inspiration about who we [individually and collectively] are and why and what we do.

Even colonies of bacteria are capable of self organization,
Surely, with effort, we can at least acomplish as much.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
pardon my double post,

Philosophies/Religions if adhered to affect how people behave.
If we are able to find guiding principles that act to improve [as we see it] people and/or humanity and the way we do things, is this not a technological advance?

Is software not a technological artifact as well as hardware?

Isn't religion/philosophy a form of social software?

A world frame of reference from which see, act and interpret the world around us?

top topics

join