It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mom Claims Teacher Taped Son's Mouth Closed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone read threads anymore?

Everyone has an opinion but no one wants to read anyone else's, let alone the article.

I'm through with this topic, for real this time.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot

Everyone has an opinion but no one wants to read anyone else's, let alone the article.

Zip

I'll alert the media

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Zip

WE did read them. You have to realize that everyone is not going to agree with you just because you want them too. The way you are making this sound is like you are mad at others because they will not come over to your side of the fence, so you start stomping your feet like a young child because you can not have it your way. There is a name for things like that they are called temper tantrums kids have them all the time.

[edit on 5/17/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
All I can say is thank god I'm not a teacher. I'd either be unemployed or in jail. Taping a kids mouth shut seems like a good idea if the kid won't shut up in class. It's non-violent and effective. I have no patience for disrespectful kids and their non-disciplining parents. If I acted up in gradeschool, I got swatted in the hallway, and if other kids were in the hall, then they all got to see it. Guess what, I deserved it, and it made me think twice about doing what I did again. And I'm sure that all the kids in the hall that saw it would have thought twice about acting up as well.

But, these are new times, and we have to cater to these spoiled little prince and princesses now. Can't punish them because they will have inferiority issues in the future. Can't give them grades anymore because they will feel like failures if they get an "F" (guess what, if you get an "F", you are a failure). Can't even keep score in their sports because we can't teach them that in life there are such things as losers. Nope, when they grow up they will all be winners, who will never have to face a boss who demands perfection.

I have a 1 and a half yr old son and I am scared to death for when he goes off to these brainwashed institutions called schools.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I can't believe how many people here actually agree with this

I mean - Okay...That's great - It's your opinion....and I have mine...

Not that I have any kids - But for those that agree with this form of punishment - How many of you have children?

My side of the fence is simple...I don't think the ACTUAL teacher should have any role in the punishment of a child that acts up....They're getting paid to teach kids, not discipline them....

That job should be reserved for people who are on the payroll of the school specifically for handling any and all disputes....Not to mention I don't exactly agree that taping a kid's friggin mouth shut is gonna solve a damn thing.....I know if I were that kid I would have just been screaming through the damn tape!!!

[edit on 5/17/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Good on the teacher. No one has any balls now adays. If a youger is cheeky to you or misbehaves, what's wrong with giving them a crack on the hand?

Worked when it was legal.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
Worked when it was legal.

Well hey! There ya go! An answer to your dilemma.....

Some laws we have are in place for a reason.....If you trusted EVERY teacher to deliver the correct punishment under any circumstance, then we'd be living in a Utopia now wouldn't we??

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

My side of the fence is simple...I don't think the ACTUAL teacher should have any role in the punishment of a child that acts up....They're getting paid to teach kids, not discipline them....

[edit on 5/17/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

Well when I went to school it was the teachers responsiblity, they are the parents away from home as I see it. So I feel it is their responsiblity.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Well when I went to school it was the teachers responsiblity, they are the parents away from home as I see it. So I feel it is their responsiblity.

Unfortunately, that's not the parameters of their education....

While I agree, it's best to handle a disruptive situation as it occurs rather than waiting for the appropriate party to arrive, such is the system we operate under....And if a teacher decides to take that responsibility into their own hands these days, then they're the one's at fault....

You can say "It should be this way" or "It should be that way" all you want....But this is the reality of the situation.....That teacher had no place to make a judgment call on the kid's punishment in the society we live in today......so be it.......

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have 2 kids (grown) and have substituted a few times (days in hell).

Kids should be expelled for a few days to 'get their minds right' if whipping is out of the question.

I whipped my son AT his school one day and the teacher was shocked

Teachers are NOT parents and shouldn't be treated as such. Parents are responsible. Let a school make a parent lose work to come and get their bad child (not wait until after school) and that kid will shape up real quick.

All this whining about students rights is malarkey. Kids in school have only the rights the school gives them.

Zip, you said your parents 'taught' you and you were still bad? H-e-l-l-o, they didn't teach you. They just pretended as did you.

Like my daughter- she was a druggie- I was a bad parent with her.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
Like my daughter- she was a druggie- I was a bad parent with her.

Sorry to hear that Joe hope she got clean or whatever they call it. One thing you have on your side you are willing to admit you did wrong, I give you a
for that alone, a lot of parents will not admit what you did sadly to say

visualizing Zip throwing another temper tantrum

[edit on 5/17/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hi, I never threw a tantrum, as you can plainly see by reading the thread, and I am not taking your bait.

Anyways, my parents were excellent parents, and I was an excellent kid, but I was still my own person and occasionally I did things that I knew were wrong. It's all part of growing up. I wasn't the kid who throws chairs and cusses, though, but I did smart off to my teachers if I thought they were being childish/stupid/unfair/whatever.

It didn't make my parents bad parents because I could be a smartass if I thought it necessary. They taught me well, but just because someone is taught well doesn't mean that they always apply the teachings to their daily lives.

There are times to blame parents for their childrens' bad behavior -- often times. A pre-teen girl gets pregnant and smokes crack - bad parents.

A kid smarting off in class (which is what we are ASSUMING happened here although NO ARTICLES MENTION WHAT HE DID) and that doesn't mean he has bad parents. It could go either way - maybe they're good parents and he's just rebelling a little bit as part of the aging process.

Maybe he has bad parents, who knows. That just doesn't immediately jump out at me, having read his mothers' reaction.

Maybe if a kid smarts off in class and burns down the school or something, you'd be on to something. At the moment, though, with the little information we have to go on, I think it's completely unfair to blame the mother, who is not here to defend herself.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thanks shots, yeah 'clean' is what it's called but that's a cover. All it really is, is 'days without.'

After my day job and on weekends I worked in a half-way house for five years. Lot's of stories there.

[edit out, 2 pages of 'stuff']

Parents owe a duty to prepare their kids for life, the teacher in this thread owes a duty to educate ALL the children. If taping Zip's mouth (whoops) was part of education then the teacher was right, if it was not then the teacher needs a little educating as well.

As can be seen from Zip's last post, more tape wouldn't have worked. Making mommy or daddy take off work to come get 'the mouth' would have.

*edit to add:

Laura Solarin didn't learn about it until she called home to check on her son, Gabriel, after school and he told her what happened.

Make her take off work- I rest my case

[edit on 17-5-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What's with the personal attacks? Geeze, attack the arguements, okay?

You're just mad that I was a cool kid and you were a dorkus minorcus.

Zip

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The most effective means I have of controlling my children is to throw plastic toys in the bin. Nothing valuable, freebies from macdonalds, dried up pens etc. The howls are astonishing. But of course this would mean that I understand what makes my children tick. Physical violence is never the answer.

To those of you who approve of physical violence what is the punishment for a child when they have hit somebody ? Would it be to hit them ! It's bad to hit and I'll prove it by hitting you.......duh !

What happens when an adult doesn't shut up, for example ranting in a pub. Presumably it is justified to thump them. Or is it a case you only hit smaller people that don't hit back, like children.

One of the best methods of control is peer pressure but that would mean the teacher has to understand his/her pupils to get the pressure started.

XL5

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I think that sooner or later, when kids are sent to the office or suspended, the parents will sue the teacher for not doing their jobs and "refusing" to teach thier kids for the suspension period!

Being a teacher in many cases is like parenting other parents kids. If your kids are good, you go to work and are FORCED to endure fowlness of kids who should be too young to even know such stuff. What if this kid was getting the other kids to belittle the teacher with sexual comments and the teacher knew beating was forbidden and suspension wouldn't work and the parents were helpless too?
Making an example of him was probably the thing that came to that teachers mind. More details would be nice, but the news just wants a reaction, shock and aww.

We should get robots to teach and put an F.A.Q. in the text books.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I say, well done to the teacher. It is about time some of these spoiled little brats were put back in their box. Many teachers have the most awful time these days (as do school bus drivers which has been a topic of much discussion down here of late) in working with some of these future delinquents.

As for the comment ‘One of the best methods of control is peer pressure but that would mean the teacher has to understand his/her pupils to get the pressure started.’ – I feel that in many cases we are well past the time when this if an effective method on controlling behaviour.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

What's with the personal attacks? Geeze, attack the arguements, okay?

You're just mad that I was a cool kid and you were a dorkus minorcus.

Zip

Sorry Zip (he was refering to shots)- I just wanted the $10 bux for getting you to respond

Was I was right about your jail time? It was something kewl, right? Like public exposure or shop lifting?

j/k

malcr said
The most effective means I have of controlling my children is to throw plastic toys in the bin. Nothing valuable, freebies from macdonalds, dried up pens etc. The howls are astonishing. But of course this would mean that I understand what makes my children tick. Physical violence is never the answer.
-and-
One of the best methods of control is peer pressure but that would mean the teacher has to understand his/her pupils to get the pressure started.

XL5 and Lady of the Lake posted wisdom as well. As a matter of preference this entire thread has been 'a keeper.'

Teachers have a tough time. As much baby-sitter and instructor. Kids generally are pretty smart although they can be real thickheaded.

'peer pressure'? Hmm, group punishment works. Peer pressure is too much of the humiliation thing- this seems to lead to hiding, denial (a real curse) and lose of esteem.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
In what world are we living..When i went to school the teachers beat you with a nike trainer or a ruler or the cane...and the was never a case of arrest or dismissal for the teacher..discipline was and should be a part of school life.
If the children cannot be taught discipline in school where can they be taught it.
Discipline is one of the main factors that divides us from the animals.
It is one of the most important lessons that as children we can learn, so that we grow into responsable and law abiding adults.
Discipline is as important as respect and good manners. The fault with the majority of the kids is that they recieve very little or no attention at home and so behave like little s.o.´b´s in the classroom.
Its a disgrace that today if you hit your own child the courts fine you..or maybe because the kids black, someone will use it as an opportunity to shout " look how they treat and school black kids"

I believe fully that disciplne is one of the fundemental lessons that must be taught, even with the iron fist if necessary, as a child.
The indiscipline and rowdyness and ignorance children is a reflection of the home in which they are raised..

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972
The indiscipline and rowdyness and ignorance children is a reflection of the home in which they are raised..

Absolutely- go to jail and your parents failed in their duties.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join