It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mom Claims Teacher Taped Son's Mouth Closed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is the very reason why todays kids are taking drugs, listening to Satanic music and machine gunning people dead.

If nobody can discipline todays kids society shouldnt go crying tomorrow because of what their kid did.

I'm a woman. As a child i got my ass wacked (i'm swearing a lot today, sorry) at home, beaten with the "belt" and you know what? I'm a fairly normal adult living a fairly normal life and it didnt traumatize me one bit. I know as an adult and a mother that children have to be disciplined.
In school i got my mouth washed out with soap more than once
by God knows with what kind of chemical (my teacher used some kind of soap). It taught me not to swear in school and behave. I didnt die or become some victim of brutality at all. MY KIDS will tell you they love me, and I wacked them a couple of times. They're married adults now and living nicely, furthermore, they dont need psychiatric treatments because i smacked them either.

Whats happening is our kids dont really belong to us anymore. They belong to the government- and thanks to the government we are making woosies out of them. Now, if a teacher or anyone "hurt" my kids, they'd be guests at the nearest hospital for sure, but i mean hurt.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Basic biblical teaching?

"Spare the rod spoil the child"?

Personally, I believe this. The teacher is the parent though.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It's not a question of, "hey, does this kid need to be punished, or should we let him get away with bloody murder?"

It's a question of, "hey, should I duct tape this kid's face, or should I send him to the office, where lord only knows what grim, torturous persecution awaits?"

They duct taped... HIS FACE.

Hell, hit the kid, do whatever, but don't duct tape his face shut!

Zip

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Hell, hit the kid, do whatever, but don't duct tape his face shut!

Zip

Well he is better of here then in Afganistan, hell over there they probably would beat him to death

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I didn't read all of the articles, was there some kind of danger of him being deported to Afghanistan?

Right, well here in the U.S., we should stop taping up our kids like hostages just because they're acting up (which is what kids do, it turns out.)

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Yeah, I think the teacher went a little overboard. Im all about discipline and teachers having the power to hit a kid on the rear end with a paddle.....that's fine and dandy, but a grown man has no business taping someone elses child's mouth shut. Think of it this way....it that little bastard would have sufficated then there would have been a bigger issue here.....can't take that chance.

Im not making excuses for the boy, he was wrong and should have smacked across the face, but tape is just too much.

The mom should be smacked too....and if thiers a father....him twice.

what kind of mom would let the media release her childs photo?
Is that illegal without consent from the parents?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
None of the articles really say what this boy did, so we can only assume, but you'll love this article:

Schoolboy reprimanded for being too keen (mouth taped shut for doing too much unassigned homework)
BANJA LUKA - A Bosnian teacher irritated by a zealous pupil who practiced maths at home even though he had not been given homework has punished him by taping his mouth, a school headteacher says.

Boban Jakovljevic, star pupil at the Banja Luka elementary school, had his mouth taped with scotch tape for almost one hour after telling his teacher that he had solved 52 math problems at home, headteacher Jovanka Zavisa said.

"In my 33 years experience in education I never heard of such an incident," she said.

"Instead of praising publicly such an excellent pupil the teacher punished him. I do not understand her motives."

"The teacher kept my son's mouth taped despite the fact that he has difficulties in breathing only through his nose and he barely survived," the nine-year-old boy's father Slobodan Jakovljevic told local media.

The 26-year-old teacher Jadranka Prijic was immediately suspended.

Here is another case, where the dangers of this kind of action are shown:

A 21-year veteran school teacher allegedly binding a students hands, feet and arms to his desk. She went so far as taping his mouth shut. Larry Brindley, the students father says, “He's got a small airway and by taping his mouth shut he had problems breathing and he could have died."

14-year-old Tommy Brindley suffers from attention deficit disorder. A problem he has to deal since birth. Larry Brindley says, “Basically 8 or 9 years of his life he had a trach. We had the trach removed and his airway is still small. Smaller then what it should be for his age and he has problems breathing if he exercises real hard. So, by taping his mouth shut they stopped the flow of that air because he wasn't getting much through his nostrils."

Oran School Superintendent Tom Anderson says the teacher got the help of two students to help secure the seventh grader to his desk with duct tape. “You could see the black marks on his face. His face was bright red almost purplish color. Because, when they had the tape on his mouth he could not breathe. They had to take the tape off his mouth because he wasn't getting enough air." Jenni Heimer, Tommy’s sister-in-law said.

Google searches for Teacher Tape Student return a lot of these kinds of stories. This isn't the only one that posed a threat to the student's safety.

Zip

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I didn't read all of the articles, was there some kind of danger of him being deported to Afghanistan?

Right, well here in the U.S., we should stop taping up our kids like hostages just because they're acting up (which is what kids do, it turns out.)

Zip

Zip I used that as an illustration trying to point out to you that the child could get worse punishment in other countries. We have a big problem in the US in our schools and punishment should be put back into them. Kids are out of control.

Believe it or not in 1965 students in the UK favored punishment, unlike you who does not favor it.

We can only speculate on these results. It's a fair cop. I dun it! might be the mentality. Or having beaten themselves the boys were happy for others to enjoy the same treatment; or were they looking forward to being at the other end of the cane or slipper at some point in their careers.

statistics

The practice of corporal punishment is still common in many countries and I think it should be allowed in our schools also.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
shots, I have NOT ONCE SAID that I am against punishment or even corporal punishment. I clearly stated several times that we need to stick with what we know rather than inventing strange new punishments - like applying tape, rope, blindfolds, branding irons, or whatever to students.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot
shots, I have NOT ONCE SAID that I am against punishment or even corporal punishment. I clearly stated several times that we need to stick with what we know rather than inventing strange new punishments - like applying tape, rope, blindfolds, branding irons, or whatever to students.

Zip

OK fine then I say lets go back to shoving bars of soap in their mouths as they did years ago. Oh wait you probably think that is too cruel. The kid got off lightly and got what he deserved.

Had he had good parents this little rant of his never would have happened. Don't blame the teachers, blame the parents discipline begins at home.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by shotsOK fine then I say lets go back to shoving bars of soap in their mouths as they did years ago. Oh wait you probably think that is too cruel. The kid got off lightly and got what he deserved.

Had he had good parents this little rant of his never would have happened. Don't blame the teachers, blame the parents discipline begins at home.

HOLD UP a second --

1) None of the articles say what he did, you are TOTALLY assuming things. "He got what he deserved?" "He got off lightly?" What rant?

2) How can you automatically assume that he has bad parents because a teacher taped his mouth? Again you assume that it was justified when NO news reports have told us why this happened.

As for the mother, she sounds like a pretty decent mom to me --

AURORA - The Aurora Police Department is investigating an allegation of child abuse by a teacher.

An 11-year-old boy claims his teacher at Side Creek Elementary School punished him by taping his mouth, cheeks and neck. Gabriel Solarin's mother says she called to check on him Wednesday after he got home from school. That's when he told his mother that his teacher taped his mouth shut. His mother says she filed a police report and had a meeting with the school principal.

"I'm disgusted, I'm shocked and dumbfounded. I don't even know what to think I'm so angry," said Laura Solarin. The teacher has been put on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

An Aurora Public Schools spokesperson says the situation is being taken very seriously and that student safety is paramount.

She sounds very protective, intelligent, and caring to me. I'd like to know more about this apparent rant that the kid had, where did you read that? Please provide a link to the source article.

MOREOVER, I had GREAT parents, but I still mouthed off from time to time.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

HOLD UP a second --

1) None of the articles say what he did, you are TOTALLY assuming things. "He got what he deserved?" "He got off lightly?" What rant?

2) How can you automatically assume that he has bad parents because a teacher taped his mouth? Again you assume that it was justified when NO news reports have told us why this happened.

Zip

I am not assuming anything. I am using logic. Do you think for one minute that a teacher would just pick out any kid and tape his mouth shut for no reason at all? No of course not.

I am possitive she had some reason for doing what she did, just what it was is yet to be determined. The logical conclusion is he did something wrong it is as simple as that. Now if his parents had taught him right from wrong he would not have done something wrong in school would he?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I am not assuming anything. I am using logic. Do you think for one minute that a teacher would just pick out any kid and tape his mouth shut for no reason at all? No of course not.

I am possitive she had some reason for doing what she did, just what it was is yet to be determined. The logical conclusion is he did something wrong it is as simple as that.

I am not going to post anymore in this thread after this. Your arguements are absolutely absurd.

Now if his parents had taught him right from wrong he would not have done something wrong in school would he?

My parents taught me right from wrong and I make the wrong choices and commit wrongful acts almost every day of my life. You've got to be kidding me.

In short, yes, "if his parents had taught him right from wrong he would not have done something wrong in school would he?" Yes. My answer is yes, yes he would, at some point. Everyone does.

If everyone that committed a wrongful act has horrible parents, then there is not one single good parent in existence and never has been, because everybody, KNOWING what's right, does something wrong at some point in their lives, ESPECIALLY as children.

Using your logic, the teacher in this case has extremely bad parents.

Do you think for one minute that a teacher would just pick out any kid and tape his mouth shut for no reason at all? No of course not.

Well you might want to check out my post a few posts up that includes a news story wherein a teacher taped a student's mouth shut because the student was doing more homework problems than he was assigned. Go ahead... Check it out... I'll wait.

Okay, so now I say again. You Are Assuming Things.

Give it up, shots, there is a REASON this is being investigated as child abuse, and it ain't coz it's the right way to punish fifth graders.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have to agree with intrepid and zip here...

Yes - I agree that children should be punished for their actions
Yes - I agree that SOMETIMES a timeout doesn't work...Honestly it depends on the situation

It is NOT the teacher's responsibility to ever physically handle a situation with a child - The most they should be legally able to do is firmly grasp a kid so they can haul their ass off to the office....

Most schools I went to had disciplinary figures employed by the school who got paid to roam the halls with ear pieces and radios and keep the brats in check....Phones in the classroom.....Hell, A reliable kid with a hall pass who could run fast to the office.....

All this teacher had to do was notify the people responsible for punishing the kid - He would have done detention...and that would have been that...

You guys are acting like the rash behavior of a teacher driven to his limits of sanity was actually justified to wrap the kids head up in tape.....And it's people with a mindset like that who don't know how to avoid unnecessary confrontations.....

But I got to admit zip….It’s better than a tazer….

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ja, I had corporal punishment in school mostly in the form of the cane. It worked simple as that. My friends recieved it as well and there is absolutely no psychological damage to report.
The thing is at that age the cane is far more fearsome than sitting in the corner by yourself for 30 mins or so.

zipdot, it sounds like you had a bad time at school, you definately seem to carry an irrational chip on your shoulder. Did you have your mouth taped shut, is that what your basing your opinions on ?

Schools are falling apart they seem to be producing many more criminals without using corporal punishment than when they used it. Think about that zipdot and try not to let your personal experiences cloud your judgement.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I feel like the last post was formed after you said to someone "hey man I betcha 5 bucks I can get Zipdot to respond to this topic again even though he said he wouldn't!"

I'm gonna ignore most of your post except to say that taping a kid's head is not "corporal punishment," it is weird dominating power game punishment.

If the kid deserved to get whacked, if his parents had signed the waiver allowing it, then he should have been whacked rather than taped. Otherwise he should have gotten whatever other punishment the rules allowed for him.

As for the whole "timeout" discussion, well, I don't know how many times I have to stress that I am not against corporal punishment, but I guess I'll stress it one more time for good luck. I'm not against corporal punishment. Having said that, however, people respond differently to different things.

Some children (and adults) are visual learners while some are more hands-on types. Some learn best using their auditory sense. The same goes for learning lessons through punishment. Some children (and adults) respond better to physical punishment than shameful punishment or detention.

Different behaviors, of course, deserve different punishments. Are we trying to instill penitence in the child? Then the child needs to feel shame and regret, not physical pain.

Are we trying to halt a repeating behavior in its tracks? Give the kid a good whack so he associates the behavior with "it's not worth it."

Sometimes a good combination is necessary.

I can think of few behaviors that a child can perform in a classroom that dictate a mouth taped shut as being a "good punishment."

Not to mention the message that this sends to other kids. Is it such a surprise that immediately when other teachers saw the child, the tape was removed? If the punishment was so good and just, then why would this be the case?

REMEMBER that this is being investigated as a possible CHILD ABUSE, not as a possible AWESOME PUNISHMENT.

Zip

EDIT: Oh, and Enron, yeah I guess it could have been worse

[edit on 17-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

In short, yes, "if his parents had taught him right from wrong he would not have done something wrong in school would he?" Yes. My answer is yes, yes he would, at some point. Everyone does.

Using your logic, the teacher in this case has extremely bad parents.

Zip

Just because they do it, does not make it right does it? When kids continue to to wrong things that only shows the parents have not properly taught the child.

When I was young, Yes I also did things wrong on more then one occasion but I can I assure you I never did it three times. The lessons I learnt from the 2nd punishment were enough for me. One can only assume your parents were not as stern as they should have been.

And no my logic tells me the teacher knew right from wrong, that is why she did what she did. I can only assume for some odd reason you have a chip on your shoulder regarding teachers. You might want to remove it, teachers are not as bad as you think. Had this happened years ago the kid may have gotten the old wooden paddle or perhaps a cain.

[edit on 5/17/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Wow. This is absolutely inexcusable. Physically removing this boy's freedom to speak. What kind of a lesson is this teacher teaching?

A 5th grader IN school has no right to free speach. Where is your head at at?

Yeah the teacher was wrong- but to claim free speach for a 5th grader? Get real

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You assume I was talking about the First Amendment rights that this child, as a citizen of the U.S., does have.

No, I wasn't talking about that.

I should have said ability to speak, but I thought the word "freedom" would do the trick.

Anyways, what makes you think that Americans don't get to enjoy their First Amendment rights until a certain age? I may be wrong, since I'm from Canada, but I am pretty sure that there is no age limit on constitutional rights.

Zip

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
the mom in question obviously did a poor job of instilling any respect for teachers in her offspring. She should be hel accountable, and pa the teachers loss, if any, of salary. Maybe I'm gettin mean in my old age, but the kid was probably a loud mouth jerk trying to be the class clown. I'd guess the teacher has tried many other ways to reach the kid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join