It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mom Claims Teacher Taped Son's Mouth Closed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
In Aurora, a fifth grade teacher has been accused of taping a student's mouth shut. The teacher has been placed on leave.

www.click2houston.com
AURORA, Colo. -- A teacher at Sidecreek Elementary School in Aurora was placed on leave Thursday after the mother of a fifth-grader reported that the teacher taped her son's mouth shut.

The alleged incident happened Wednesday, but Laura Solarin didn't learn about it until she called home to check on her son, Gabriel, after school and he told her what happened.

"He gets the tape out of the desk and he starts wrapping it (around my head) in layers," said Gabriel, 11. "He went around (my head) maybe about 10 times. "

Gabriel said the the teacher left the tape on him for about 15 minutes before two other teachers saw it.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow. This is absolutely inexcusable. Physically removing this boy's freedom to speak. What kind of a lesson is this teacher teaching?

I hope this was some kind of playful illustration of the importance of our first amendment rights. Anything less and this teacher needs to be stripped bare and flogged.

My heart is a capacitor of sorrow for the education system in modern America.

Related News Links:
www.10news.com
www.9news.com

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
So lets see here...you cant spank em, you cant yell at em, you cant hold em down....what exactly can you do now? Shaming them isnt allowed either? No wonder we're raising nothing but criminals. No doubt the mom will get millions. This is stupid. Maybe the kid should have just, ohh, i dont know.....SHUT THE HELL UP AND LISTEN TO SOMEONE ????

As far as the kids rights....they have none....there is no freedom of speech in school. There are no rights for minors. Even in the real world. At my job, I have no freedom of speech. But, I'd get fired, not my mouth taped. Oh well....GO TEACHERS!!!!! Discipline the little brats.....

God, I cant wait untill I'm king....things are going to change

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This used to be a common practice when I was a kid and noone made a fuss about it back then.

If the kid won't shut the hell up, the teacher has every right to do this, put him/her in a corner, in the hall, send em to the principle and a lot of other things.

Parents don't want or take the responsebility to make their kids behave and want teachers to do this for them, but when a teacher tries anything to make these kids behave, the parents are the first to complain.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
You? King? Only if you over throw my Empire! I Emperor James shall get rid of the BS to.

Hell, I got smacked upside the head a couple times, or one teach was a beast! He was 6'8, football coach and Economics teacher. I was being annoying, takes me out to the hallway, picks me up by putting hands under my armpits and lifts me up against the wall so we can talk "eye to eye". Did I sue? Did I go crying to mommy and daddy? No. I deserved it, and even if I hadn't then I knew sooner or later I would have. Besides, my mom gave all my teachers permission to beat me to keep me in line. She agrees, "timeout" is BS.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Wow. This is absolutely inexcusable. Physically removing this boy's freedom to speak. What kind of a lesson is this teacher teaching?

Thats making a mountain out of a molehill. I can understand viewing it from an abuse issue, but a freedom of speech issue? Lets be realistic, the teacher didn't tape the brat's mouth shut because he was 'telling the truth'.

Gags in schools is probably a good thing, in all honestly. Something's gotta give.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Man, what a buncha dinosaurs!

"These kids" this and "in my day" that!

I was in 5th grade about, ehh, 14 or so years ago, myself. Sure, I caused trouble, sometimes. Some of my teachers were good and some were bad. Anyways, even at that age, I would be G'DEE'D to have a teacher tape my mouth shut -- let alone, wrap the tape around my head 10+ TIMES...

Sometimes kids need to be punished for getting out of line, sure. We already have guidelines for available punishments in place. Go to the office! Stay after school for detention! Get sent home to your parents if you're really causing trouble.

Since these guidelines are already in place, there is no room or necessity for teachers to make up new punishments on-the-spot like this, especially cruel and unusual punishments.

If you expect the kids to follow the rules, and accept the punishments given to them by authorities, then you must also expect the authorities to follow the rules or accept the punishments given them. Otherwise you're just an old miserly hypocrite.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I definately think that Teachers should have a little more control in the Public Schools... Teachers did when i was growing up and i'm glad they did, because my generation have a lot more respect for Authority and also Other people.
Spoil the little brats and let them cause havoc when others students want to learn?
I think the Teacher should have kicked him out of the classroom and put him in detention , because kids will drive you crazy if you let them LOL

[edit on 5/16/2005 by AgentGirl]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If I were in 5th grade and a teacher taped or attempted to tape anything on my body, I would not have any respect for them.

I think that I would have lost all respect for authority and began my journey on the downward spiral of hopelessness and dejection.

I would have started to do drugs and shun my family and friends until finally rejecting all society and living as a hermit in the wilds of northern Canada.

My only friends would be my own despondency and a squirrel named Dipsy.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If the kid is just being disruptive, I don't have that much problem with this.

Outside of school the kid can be a mouth if he wants to.

In school their should be some reasonable amount of respect show to the teacher.
It is a lack of respect for teachers and the knowlege they impart that is what is wrecking our schools.

This child was probably disrupting the learning for an entire classroom.
This child has NO RIGHT to destroy the learning of others.
He can drop out or be home schooled if his mother objects.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

from Slank
If the kid is just being disruptive, I don't have that much problem with this.

Outside of school the kid can be a mouth if he wants to.

In school their should be some reasonable amount of respect show to the teacher.
It is a lack of respect for teachers and the knowlege they impart that is what is wrecking our schools.

This child was probably disrupting the learning for an entire classroom.
This child has NO RIGHT to destroy the learning of others.
He can drop out or be home schooled if his mother objects.

"The brat was probably doing this or that."

Yes, well. Schools have codes of conduct. They have rules and regulations. They have punishments for anything you can think of from "mouthing off" to making out in the halls to spitting on other kids to smoking cigarettes.

The child has no right to disrupt the learning process for other children, but the teacher had no right or authority to tape the kid's mouth shut. Period. That's completely degrading and unneccessary.

For all the teacher knew, there could have been studies published that show that when kids' mouths are taped shut, later on in life they can't show love to their children or something. That's just one of the dangers of "unusual punishments."

EDIT: Picture:

Zip

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Good for the teacher

Get a grip.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

(from the source article)
No charges have been filed in the case and police weren't releasing the offense report because the investigation is still under way. They are investigating the case as possible child abuse.

Some of y'all must be living before the 19th century:

It was not until the 19th century that children were granted the same legal status as domesticated animals with regard to protection against cruelty and/or neglect.

This is what good parents protect their children from in modern times:

Emotional abuse is the third most frequently reported form of child abuse and includes acts or omissions by the parents or other caregivers that could cause serious behavioral, emotional, or mental disorders. For example, the parents/caregivers may use extreme or bizarre forms of punishment, such as confinement of a child in a dark closet.Emotional child abuse is also sometimes termed psychological child abuse, verbal child abuse, or mental injury of a child.

Please take another look at the photo of this child and realize that he is just a child.

Again, though, when I was a kid, if some teacher were to try and tape something about me, I would have demanded to speak with the principal about it.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Sorry DG, if anyone tries this with MY kids, it's GO time.

*thinks of a certain teacher*

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
all this political correctness getting out of hand we cant do this or that WTF can we do?? its like we do one thing an its wrong no shouting, smacking no etc etc..

i dread what the children of today are going to grow up into with no discipline just look around now days at moment kids drinking, on drugs, making out at age of 10 or whatever its all out of hand, now look back past 30 years an how things have changed for worse for sure, one day one these kids might be in power then what we all doomed?

[edit on 16-5-2005 by blobby]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hah! Your sensational arguements defeat you.

Twice in this thread, someone has said "We can't do this, we can't do that, what can we do?"

And twice have I listed available punishments. School board and parent approved punishments.

Many schools can apply corporal punishment to children if the parents have signed a permission slip.

In the case of serious rule violations, teachers are supposed to bring or send the child to a school administrator rather than "wing it." The administrator will have more experience and legal knowledge and therefore has the authority to administer punishments.

There was a story in March about a 21-year veteran teacher who duct-taped a student's arms, legs, hands, and feet to his desk and then taped his mouth shut. This shows that even with 21 years of experience, the teacher still didn't know the first thing about the law.

Besides detention, there are other punishments, such as in-school suspension or regular suspension. The administrators can have a parent conference if necessary. There are several ways to correctly punish a child so quit asking "well what CANNN we do?"

Zip

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Re-reading the thread, I'm thinking, "Man! It's like these people think that kids won't turn out right if the kids don't get their heads duct taped."

What kind of thinking is that? Someone else duct tapes heads, too, yaknow. Terrorists!!

If someone were to approach someone in my family with duct tape, with the intention of taping something on my family member's head shut, I would not say, "Oh, it's for their own good. Imagine what they'd turn out like it they didn't get their head taped!" I think I would take an aggressive stance in quite the other direction.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Re-reading the thread, I'm thinking, "Man! It's like these people think that kids won't turn out right if the kids don't get their heads duct taped."

Discipline starts in the home and when they do not get it at home they should get it in school.

It is not as if the teacher killed the brat, she just shut him up.

Zip you need to get a grip on life, no offense meant, but you side with the kids all the time and that is wrong.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Discipline starts in the home and when they do not get it at home they should get it in school.

It is not as if the teacher killed the brat, she just shut him up.

Zip you need to get a grip on life, no offense meant, but you side with the kids all the time and that is wrong.

In a real world that would work. Let's check out the real world though.

You use corporal punishment on your kid, they dime you out and Social Services come to call. Just to make sure you're not abusing your kids. That actually happened to us. They investigated, they went away.

The problem is, what about the message sent, "YOU ARE NOT IN CONTROL OF YOUR KIDS, WE ARE".

Doesn't this undermine the parents? Hell yeah!

Seems like a double standard to me, parents can't dicipline their own kids BUT a teacher can? Bad mojo, IMO.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you guys but where I went to school we had coporal punishment, which meant if you got too far out of line a teacher would take you out into the hall and lay a large wooden paddle across your arse several times. I don't know what ever happened to coporal punishment, I assume it was put down by some isolated incidents and concerned parents, etc. but one thing I clearly remember was that coporal punishment kept alot of the more unruly kids in line. I took many a paddling in my day. Now they have Child Advocates which act like lawyers representing your kid against the school system, and we have parents that either are scared to punish their children.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
? So, a kid snaps and kills people at school, teachers don't stop him? Just let him go and send him to detention?

Sorry, the whole "Timeout" BS is just that, BS! "Oh no, sit for half an hour." or "Ouch! I couldn't sit down for an hour!" What works better? Second one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join