It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Bush Praises Biodiesel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
President Bush pressed again today for support for his energy plan. The President focused on the benefits of biodiesel, a fuel product made from soy beans.

www.click2houston.com
President George W. Bush has been singing the praises of biodiesel as he pleads with Congress to pass his energy plan.

The president got a tour of a plant near Richmond, Va., that turns soybean oil into fuel for use in diesel engines.

He called it one of the United States' most promising alternative fuel sources -- and says every drop that's used is a boost for U.S. farmers, and a blow against pricey foreign crude oil. He notes biodiesel is also good for the environment because it burns cleaner than either gasoline or regular diesel.

Bush called high gas prices a "foreign tax on the American dream" -- and said his energy plan takes aim at their root cause: an imbalance of supply and demand. Among other things, the plan encourages biodiesel development.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While it seems that energy-crisis-related news is lacking these days, sometimes subtle peak oil news will hit the headlines.

I don't think biodiesel is the answer to peak oil, but I do think that the production of biodiesel is a step in the right direction, and Bush focusing on alternative energy is something that the U.S. public should recognize and pay attention to.

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.thepittsburghchannel.com
www.reuters.com
abcnews.go.com

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Today's energy focus also included some words about India and China's energy usage:

Bush Says U.S. Should Help China Boost Fuel Efficiency
It is in the best interests of the United States to help the fast-growing economies of China and India become more energy efficient, President Bush said on Monday.

It is the U.S. "national interest" to help both countries use oil and other energy sources as efficiently as possible, Bush said in a speech while visiting a biodiesel production plant in southern Virginia. "When the global demand for oil is lower, Americans will be better off at the gas pump," Bush said.

China's thirst for crude oil far outstripped expectations in 2004, contributing to tight global supplies. Although China's oil demand growth slowed in the first quarter of 2005, some analysts said on Sunday that its April crude oil imports soared by 23 percent to an all-time monthly high of 12.25 million tonnes.

I think it is absolutely imperative that we develop alternate sources of energy and increase fuel efficiency in other countries. It is in everyone's best interest.

Zip

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I rarely agree with what Bush does, but this one is definitely a step in right direction. I think the govt should step in to kickstart the biofuel trend, then handle it over to farmers and chemical industry.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
to me it is more PR empty words from Bush just like his comment about landing men on Mars. be nice if he ever followed up on his promises

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I dunno, because really, Bush may have some vested interest in jumpstarting America to be the first mass-producer of organic fuel -- the market will be huge and the demand high if the stuff can be priced right, especially when oil's price skyrockets.

Plus, imagine the kickbacks!!

Zip

top topics

join