It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Study shows Humans are Programmed to Murder

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Sure I would kill, if I have a gun and the right person in front of me like a certain B*** and all those mother******* killers and dictators.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I suspect you are right Shots. Dr. Buss, being a psychologist and all, certainly knows the difference between kill and murder. Yet he chose the word murder because of its emotional connotations. This choice could only be for one purpose -- to sell more books.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Simulacra, good post..very interesting

We are all born with capability to kill, but not born with the instinct to kill.
Just like we are all born with the capability to steal, but not the instinct to steal. And like all people are born with the capability to be lie, but not the instinct to lie.

All Animals and humans (if you put them in the same category, go ahead) are hard wired for survival of the species. We are not naturally programmed to kill other humans, that occurs after society, media, school whatever you wanna call it influences the mind. Sometimes people kill for survival and it has a huge toll and causes major psychological issues...why? because if we are programmed to kill then we would not have this problem if we were. If we were hard-wired to kill the homicide rate would be much higher than what it is today.

---------------------------------------------------------------
2003 US population: 290,809,777
2003 US Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter: 16,503
2003 US Aggravated assault: 857,921

FBI.gov

Do the math...the percantage, It is far from saying that Humans as a whole are naturally born to kill other humans as instinct.

Most people who do kill out of "cold blood" do so to gain something, money, sex, power, whatever....and they are actually programmed to do so, but not from birth.....

Alot of the times when people kill in self defense they even have issues as a result of it ....why? It is not natural, if it were they would not have these issues.

And that's in the US, the nation with one of the highest murder rates.
Seems like it would alot higher if we are in fact nuturally born to kill other humans. Especially with children who's minds are as humanly "pure" as can possibly be.

Yes I know...there are very few exceptions to this as there are in all things.

[edit on 17/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
i have to agree with most
(and how often is it that so many all agree). why is a study and a book even needed to understand that anyone and everyone is capeable of killing? i'm sorry but the opening remark to this thread made me laugh (and i need a good laugh).

given the right circumstance, every sigle human out there is capeable of killing another. the differance is in what stimuli is needed BEFORE we will kill. as we have seen time and time again, for some killing another is done for fun. in others it is to stop a percieved threat to you or your children. there are many reasons that we would kill. the differance is how we can controll the urge to kill. that is what is important.

is this guy trying to say that since we all are capeable of killing that those who do should not be punished? that is how we will likely see this work used in court. "so as you can see any man or woman is programed instinctfully to kill, that this man has killed only follows that natural programing. how can we condem him for an act that come to one naturaly?" we can only hope that no jurrors or judge will buy this excuse. if they do it could set a very bad precident.

heck this guy is gonna make mony "proveing" something everyone alrady knows. even ALL animals will kill in the right circumstances especialy if their young are threatened. this is't new this is more like expliteing comman knolage by useing "sciance" to prove what we all already know.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
My whole life I've thought that, now there’s proof!

It is in Human Nature to kill.
I guess it's kind of like the introduction to 2001 space odyssey(sp?).
ALL modern technology and way of life began as a weapon or violently.

I support this theory every step!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   

posted by drogo:
is this guy trying to say that since we all are capeable of killing that those who do should not be punished?

Like I said in my previous post, we are capable of stealing....so is that right? we are all capable of lying...does that make it right? NO

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
sorry sporty we both were replying at the same time lol. but you are correct regaurdless. unfortunately things like this do have a habbit of being used as a defense.

it's kinda like a woman who has been beaten for years flipping out and killing the (beeep) that did it. anymore it is considdered a vaild excuse by many. not that there were of course years that they could have left or not defended that person. but hey they were abused so it may be ok to kill the guy. personaly i don't understand why they would stay with such a person. but i know that for some reason that they do.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   

sorry sporty we both were replying at the same time lol

No prob
Yup I would have to say you nailed it.

I think that many people in this thread are confusing instinct for capability.
We are all born capable of being stone cold killers, but we are not born with the natural/born with instinct to kill another human being. Survival of the species, don't kill your own.

For someone to become such a killer that killing becomes part of thier instinct and it does not faze them and affect them psycologically, they have to develope that over a period of time. yeah thier are some people that are just crazy and wacko but they do not represent the entire human race. Point being, naturally we are not born to kill, we are born to breed.
I sound like a dam hippy....

[edit on 17/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here's an interesting statistic: I forget the exact number, but it was something like less than 20% of soldiers during WWI and WWII ever actually fired their weapons at the enemy.

This is even while under fire, even to save their friends, even to save their own life. Over 80% of soldiers simply refused to try to kill another human being, even if it meant losing their own life.

Programmed to murder? I'd say it's just the opposite.

For reading on this topic:

www.amazon.com...=1116329145/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2530061-1293711?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

www.amazon.com...=1116329145/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-2530061-1293711?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Professor David Buss argues that 91% of men and 84% of women have had fantasies about murdering someone.

This is why I argue for the manditory inclusion of screening disqualifiers for Ninjas in all research.

Four simple words could save so many studies from disaster and focus group moderators from certain death.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I finally finished reviewing the good Dr's book and I can only conclude the guy is an idiot. He spouts stuff about how murderers genes won out in the evolutionary battle, but he obviously doesn't know anything about genetics and he makes huge leaps from survival killing to murdering without a shred of proof. I'm more in agreement with Shots now than ever. He is simply trying to sell books to make money.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
well everyone needs money
but think about it. so many murders, so many wars. maybe the doc has a point and you can deny that pretty much everyone has the urge to kill someone atleast once a week or maybe day. so maybe hes not that crazy after all

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker
well everyone needs money
but think about it. so many murders, so many wars.

Look a few post up at the statistics provided on the US murder rate compared to the population......

maybe the doc has a point and you can deny that pretty much everyone has the urge to kill someone atleast once a week or maybe day. so maybe hes not that crazy after all

Have you ever had an urge to just ram someone in your car, or rob a bank....ever thougth about it? Its not natural....same as killing other humans, not natural.

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
it is all based on the circumstances. if my family needs food yes i will think about robbing a bank. if i need to provide for me and my family i might think abotu kidnapping someone. but those are jsut thoughts. i am not saying i will do this things but i will think about doing them. its all based on the circumstantis

top topics

<< 1   >>

join