It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jihad-shmihad!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Zapata
As an arab, I would like to clarify something: the word 'jihad' in arabic is not some hush-hush, archaic word that people only speak when the muslim leaders declare jihad against something. Its not some secret weapon kept quiet until it is unleashed. It is a VERY common word. very much like the use of the word 'struggle' in different contexts. It is also a very common male name. My uncle, my father's brother, is named Jihad. Oh, and by the way, it is not pronounced 'jee-had', with the emphasis on the 'ee' sound in the middle and on the 'd' sound at the end. the emphasis is actually on the 'a' sound. So, phonetically, Jihad is pronounced 'jihaad', with the j sounding like the first g in 'george'.

Please note that just because you have only just started hearing it on your western news networks, doesn't mean it has only just started being used. The context in which I think all of you mean it in, a holy struggle against all that is not islamic (dar-al-harb) is by FAR the least common usage of the word.

Thank you!!! About time somebody who actually knows something, comments on the topic of the post. Thank you General, for actually discussing this, instead of turning the thread into a punching bag like so many people do.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Thank you!!! About time somebody who actually knows something, comments on the topic of the post. Thank you General, for actually discussing this, instead of turning the thread into a punching bag like so many people do.

Plenty of people tried telling you the meaning of the word (including myself) whilst not using you as a punching bag. What was it about that one post that actually got you to listen? I think it is good if you finally realize what the word means. But trying to say that no-one informed you, or used you as a pubching bag, is simply false. Plenty here tried.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join