It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too many people on earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Isnt it obvious that there are too many people on earth. where ever we are we seem to polute everything as well as chop it down. This world cannot survive to much longer the way things are. i live in california and almost all the beaches out here have a F grade. people dont even enter the water for fear of generating rashes. how much longer can it last. either the secret societies or the earth will have to take care of the obvious popultion problems

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
so are you gonna volinteer to die?and i guess we will need a lot more volintees to forfet their live. good luck finding them.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
We wont volunteer it will just happen earth quakes by the government is possible. but i think the earth is tired of us. look at the dinosaurs they didnt even bother the earth and look at what happened to them

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
hmm so the earth has self awareness? yeah ok. i guess if you want to you can believe that.personaly i find that less likely than some considder god, but hey you have the freedom to believe as you wish. and aparently the earth is even worse then gad as it kills even those who have done no wrong ok.

while i freely admit that industry especialy causes way too much polution. i don't see how that is a population isue. also as we do have both the capeability to feed all and the capeability to even expand food production that is not realy an isue either. there is plenty of opn land so that is not an isue. so why is there an overpopulation? or are we now linking "global warming" to the body heat of all the humans?

sorry i just fail to see any real signs that there are too many people arround.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I dont care for the enviroment much but it seems where ever people have been for a long time things get dirty. have you ever been to venice in italy the water is polluted. africe and the mideast where civiliztion started are deserts now. in india theres a river where people wash themselve that place is dirty too. how many people will it take before it is too much? wont it be too late by then?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Murder rates are growing daily. China allows folks to have only ONE boy child, and alot of the young people are taking contrceptives....So were working on it lol

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The growth rate has remained pretty much the same since the 60's.
Why aren't enough people dying off. Need another war? A plague? People living too long?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
We've lost alot of people in the tsunami, 9-11 and in the war in Iraq. School shootings. Bombings world wide. Trains. Ect... Is the growth rate the same as the 60's? And if so how does the death rate measure up?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
My mistake. I meant the "birth" rate.

Growth rate is about 1.3% a year which would double the current population in 50 years or so. The population's more than doubled since the 60's.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Jaychael]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
We've lost alot of people in the tsunami, 9-11 and in the war in Iraq. School shootings. Bombings world wide. Trains. Ect...

Sorry, even including both Gulf conflicts and Tsunami, that's piss in the ocean compared to the real major population control conflicts and adjustments: Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Chile, Iran/Iraq war, Central America, Balkans, Rwanda and other African countires. this equals tens of millions of people.

We have a way of imposing population control just by being human and as for overpopulation, again there's no way that's correct. Certain countries do suffer overpopulation around certain urban centres because that's where the wealth is, whilst the countryside is empty.

We have an ageing population due to health care and contraception but I have no idea how long theoretically it would be until the Earth reached critical mass in terms of population against available living areas.

I recently went to Florida where land is still relatively cheap. How many millions of square miles of land is there empty just in that state alone? Probably enough for another 40,000,000 people probably. So what about all the other 'empty' states?

Peace Out

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The earth is a self-balancing ecosystem.

Humans are part of it, and with industrialization we've swung that balance so far from center, that when we do have to go back to the "middle", there will be hell to pay.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
We have a way of imposing population control just by being human and as for overpopulation, again there's no way that's correct. Certain countries do suffer overpopulation around certain urban centres because that's where the wealth is, whilst the countryside is empty.

We have an ageing population due to health care and contraception but I have no idea how long theoretically it would be until the Earth reached critical mass in terms of population against available living areas.

I recently went to Florida where land is still relatively cheap. How many millions of square miles of land is there empty just in that state alone? Probably enough for another 40,000,000 people probably. So what about all the other 'empty' states?

Peace Out

You're right that some areas have higher growth rates than others.
The US is a little over 1% yearly while Afganastan is over 3%.
The thing to remember is that the amount of people goes up exponentially every year.
I agree there's plenty of space just not enough food or water.
40,000,000 is a lot, but the growth rate is around a billion a year already.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
i think that the earht can adapt. i mean look new speices of palnts are being found new bugs they are adapting to this pollution and over population so will the earth. so for now we jsut gotta deal

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastergallo
Isnt it obvious that there are too many people on earth.

No, its not obvious at all.

where ever we are we seem to polute everything as well as chop it down.

Man did that when there were only a few men.

This world cannot survive to much longer the way things are.

Why?

i live in california

Ah, that explains it.

Ha, sorry. Honest ribbing never hurt anyone right?

either the secret societies or the earth will have to take care of the obvious popultion problems

The earth is not a self correcting thing, it can't do anything about pollution and carbon in the atmosphere, indeed, its not even aware of it.

Man is insignificant, the earth is 'unaware' of it. If the earth was reduced, in scale, to the size of an apple, the crust of the earth, somethign that many resides as if he were a thin waxy film upon, would be thinner than the skin of the apple. Man can't even drill through the crust, even where its thin, at the MORs and such. Man can do great harm to man, and can do damage to the ecosystem, but not the earth itself. The earth doesn't need a "man correcting mechanism", becuase man can't put the earth 'out of balance'.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastergallo africe and the mideast where civiliztion started are deserts now

They were deserts back then.

in india theres a river where people wash themselve that place is dirty too

If people merely washing in it 'dirties' the river, then the river doesn't seem to mind being dirtied.

We've lost alot of people in the tsunami, 9-11 and in the war in Iraq

An absolutely insignificant number, even counting both sides of the iraq war. Its preposterous to even mention those things as large relative to the population.

Is the growth rate the same as the 60's? And if so how does the death rate measure up?

Growth rate is birth rate minus death rate. The global growth rate is increasing.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
right now its too early to tell if we will prospure or die. the growth rate may be higher but you must think about that maybe in the future we will have underwater and space territories to live in. that thought keeps me going and not wondering about over population

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You should keep in mind that the idea 'Too many' is loaded with expectations.

Should the Earth forever be a park like place for us and other species to live?
Should the Earth be a place we use with little regard as a place to jump into space existence?

You think collapse is imminent? and This is not a good thing? [I have to admit that I tend to think this too, but it is based on my own idealized expections for what might/could/should be ahead for humanity.]

Collectively speaking, we are a dumb species.
All species are dumb.
The environment is what created more sophisticated species, not the species themselves.
To be fair we have some capacity for looking at the bigger picture, but are simple drives to eat, personally survive and personally [over] re-produce hugely outweigh it.

Relax, enjoy life, as best you can. If you think you see the vector of imminent collapse try to guard yourself from it if you can.

The environment [Evolution] is and always has just worked with dumb individual organisms. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So don't strain your brain about it.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
thats the truth. we are dumb and evolution will help us all i gotta say

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The fairest way to take care of thinning the population, without leaving the planet, would be for each country to have a lottery, and have half of its population killed.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
What are we using as the "center? The Earth has always been changing. Creatures have been dying off since the git-go. Our problems are numerous; but ignorance seems to be the driving factor.

For example, Africa is being destroyed by the native population that refuses to leave the opld and destructive ways behind; ways that cannot support larger populations without destroying the eco-system. The result? An ever-growing desert.

But, what about in America? Ignorance alters the balance here, too. WE have much more forest coverage on our continent and much less grasslands. So, you might ask? the grasslands are much more efficient at filtering the air and balancing the gases. By screaming, "Plant Trees!!!", the good-intentioned have done harm.

At the same time, forest fires are put out as soon as they are detected, thereby preventing natural undergrowth clearing. The ignorant in Washington have also made it illegal for states to thin their forests (Except for Daschel's state, as he wasn't as dumb as some thought). This creates an environment that leads to devastating fires when they do get out of control.

See, it isn't just the number of people on the planet, it is the number of ignorant people on the planet. My solution? Remove all the warning tags from every dangerous appliance, chemical or other product. Allow nature to take its course in Intellectual Evolution!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join