It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Is The Mysterious Piano Man?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
On April 7th a man wearing a soaking wet black suit and tie was picked up by the police in Kent, UK. He hasn´t spoken a word since the day they picked him up. He appears confused and traumatic. Nobody know who he is. He stunned care workers by giving virtuoso piano performances and he also writes music.

BBC: Appeal over mystery 'piano man'

16 May, 2005

The mystery patient is described as tall and thin

A man who has not uttered a word since being found wandering and confused has stunned care workers by giving a virtuoso piano performance. The man was wearing a soaking wet black suit and tie when he was picked up by police in Sheerness, Kent, on 7 April.

His talent came to light after staff at the Medway Maritime Hospital gave the man a pen and paper in the hope he would write his name.Instead the patient drew very detailed pictures of a grand piano. The man shocked staff with a performance of classical music after Mr Camp showed him the piano in the hospital's chapel. Mr Camp said: "When we took him to the chapel piano it really was amazing. He has not spoken since the day we picked him up. The man has since written music, which has been verified as genuine manuscript.

He is now being held in a secure mental health unit in north Kent while an assessment is carried out. Mr Camp said he was "extremely distressed" and may have suffered a trauma.

Anyone who has information about The Piano Man is urged to call the National Missing Persons Helpline on 0500 700700.

TimesOnline: Riddle of pianist who will not speak

The 6ft musician — dubbed The Piano Man — is believed to have suffered a nervous breakdown which has deprived him of his memory and left him unable to communicate except through drawings and a remarkable ability for music.

After being found by police he was driven to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham, Kent, where he was able to communicate with doctors and nurses only by drawing a Swedish flag and an intricate sketch of a grand piano.

He has since been transferred to a psychiatric unit, where he has been treating patients and staff to brilliant performances of his favourite works.
He appears to be a professional pianist and has amazed everyone who has heard him.

“Away from the piano he starts to breathe very quickly and shies away from people.”

Interesting man, intelligent and obviously very talented. What could have happened to him and who is he?

edit: added article from TimesOnline (also a better picture)...

[edit on 2005/5/16 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Prima facie, he appears to be someone doing a relatively sophisticated David Helfgott impersonation.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
My guess is that he is some guy starving for attention, trying to make a point, both or is planning on having a "miraculious" turn-around from his present condition which will lead to talk shows, news/media interviews, all this other stuff that will make him some fast cash $$$.

Or he could really be as he is.......we'll soon find out.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
(pulls out a ligther and sets reality on fire)

Maybe he's an ex-cia mindcontrol assasin he completed his job and his program has failed and his mind has been destroyed, only small compartments remain, he is still inside but it's in honeycomb sections and the front and the back of the mind and consciousness have flipped...

eh, it'd make a great book.

I didn't read all the article, but did they finger print him and get a dental sample? Ya know, here bit onto this.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Prima facie, he appears to be someone doing a relatively sophisticated David Helfgott impersonation.

I just added an article from TimesOnline into the initial post. Here`s a quote from that article:

"The similarities between him and David Helfgott, the Australian pianist whose life was dramatised in Shine, the 1996 film, are uncanny. Helfgott overcame a nervous breakdown in 1970 to perform recitals after an interval of ten years."

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It says in the Swedish newspaper aftonbladet that i draw a picture of the Swedish flag in the hospital www.aftonbladet.se... its in swedish so I don't know if it helps. I can try an translate it if you want.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's weird - I work at the World Service in London so there are loads of different nationalities under one roof...and for some reason - he looks Polish to me! I don't know what it is...but I bet he's Polish.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Another Strange thing about this is the fact that he had no lables in he clothes?

Seems they were all removed?

latest on this is that theres loads of calls coming in about this guy, will be intrested to see the developments of this story

SKYNEWS

A helpline set up to establish the identity of a man found walking streets dressed as a concert pianist has been flooded with calls.

The man has not uttered a word since police picked him up last month - instead he has been giving long virtuoso performances on a piano.

All efforts to communicate with the shy and agitated man, aged in his 20s or early 30s, have failed.

The helpline has been inundated with calls, with at least one definite lead.

Mr Camp said: "A name has been given of a possible person from the Sussex area.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by asala]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It's Billy Joel!

I'm surprised that they haven't identified him yet. Pepole with exceptional talent like that are rare and memorable.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If he isn't faking it, he sounds to me like one of those savant types, the ones who are incredibly good at one particular thing (usually music) and are horrible at almost everything else. Very interesting that he hasn't been identified in over a month; they picked him up on Apr. 7.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It does seem that identifying him would be pretty easy once the word gets out. Either he has extensive musical training or in the case of an autistic-savant, he would have been known to someone because of the care he would have required and his talent.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

It says in the Swedish newspaper aftonbladet that i draw a picture of the Swedish flag in the hospital www.aftonbladet.se... its in swedish so I don't know if it helps. I can try an translate it if you want.

Sure. Do so, and let me know, and it's worth an Applaud! to you!

InterTran doesn't seem to want to translate the site for some reason, and it's one of the few freebie Swedish translators....

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
very interestering. it was on the news tonight in the UK, but i missed it all. glad i caught the story on here

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Here's the translation from the swedish article:

Who is the mysterius pianovirtuos?
Found soaking wet on a beach in England - Drew a swedish flag

Ha hasn't said a word sens he in his soaking wet suit was found walking on a beach in Sheerness, Kent on the evning of april 8th
When the staff in the hospital gave him a pen he drew a detailed picture of a wing (piano), and a flag.
A Swedish flag.

"National missing person helpline" has given the man a number 05-002720 and he is described as a big mystery from beginning to end. They have no idea to what happend to him or how he ended up on the beach in Kent.
When he was found he was soaking wet "like he had been swiming in the ocean", and was dressed in a black suit and a white shirt.

He hasn't said a word during the whole time, but they was hopeing that he would write his name when he was given a pen by the staff on the hospital where he is being treated. Instead he drew a detailed picture of a wing - both inside and outside - and a Swedish flag.

Pianovirtuos
The mystery didn't clear when the man turned out to be a pianovirtuos. BBC reports the when the staff showed him a piano that was in the hospital chapell, the man gave a several hour long amazing classical piano consert.
-It was amazing says socialworker Michael Clamt to the BBC
The man has sens then writen music that experts affirm is real.

Head nods
-He dosn't talk, but I can communicate with him with small head nods, says Clamp
According tp Clamp the man is extremely tormented by something and may have sufferd some trauma.
Several attemps to identify the man has failed. Now we are using the worlds medias to find out who the mysterius man is, who has been given the name "The piano man"

Original article from www.aftonbladet.se...

If I have misspelled some words just ask me if ju can't understand me

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
There is also talk that could this man be Autistic?

It could explain his amazing talent of being able to play so well and a possible reason why he has not spoke a word,

Seems they are also going to try and talk to him using music,

"The only other way is if we get expert people working with him who are able to use his music and get his [identity]."

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Not to be too jaded and cynical, but is there a resonable chance that this is a publicity stunt of some sort?

The fact that "All labels have been removed from his clothing" makes me suspicious.

Occam would say this is a stunt, or a nut gone walkabout.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Not to be too jaded and cynical, but is there a resonable chance that this is a publicity stunt of some sort?

The fact that "All labels have been removed from his clothing" makes me suspicious.

Occam would say this is a stunt, or a nut gone walkabout.

Got to say this is something i have also thought about, i guess only time will tell

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Living on a mental ward is like living in a fish bowl. Everything you do is monitored by some member of a multi-disciplinary team or another. Maintaining a "character" 24/7 is extremely difficult and would require that the perpetrator to be an extraordinary actor, besides being a virtuoso pianist.

Perhaps we have the wrong movie and this individual has more in common with K-Pax than with David Helfgott

[edit on 05/5/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Maintaining a "character" 24/7 is extremely difficult

I did not think about that...good point.
Have there ever been cases like this before involving a nameless person with no contacts, no history but had a great talent?

If they could just get him to speak at least they will have a lead on where he is possibly from....his accent or language might give a clue.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the translation...

Given the clothing, and circumstances, has anyone checked any nearby orchestras for a missing piano player???

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join