It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New iranian Sub

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
All this talk of kilo's in the Persian Gulf reminds me of the book Nimitz Class
by Patrick Robinson
Hopefully the Iranians don't have a real Benjamin Adnam in their submariners ranks.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Orangetom,

I have first-hand experience in Anti-mine warfare in the Persian Gulf, itself.

The IRGC used to sneak out in the middle of the night and lay mines from Dhows and small commercial ships, until we caught them red-handed and smacked them up a bit (back in the mid 1980's). These mines would free-float just under the surface, hitting whatever they drifted into. The USS Samuel B. Roberts was one of their vicitms. Also, many mines were laid by the Iranians and Iraqis in the northern Gulf, and they would sometimes break loose from their moorings and float down the length of the Gulf until they either sank or hit something and blew up.

Fortunately, my ship was equipped with a brand-new Kingfisher sonar designed to find mines, and we never hit one. But I have seen how the Navy deals with mines (at least back then). This one time a Soviet Sovremenny class destroyer called us up on channel 16 and said they had spotted a mine, and passed us its position. So we called the carrier, and they sent out a Sea King helo with a marine sniper, who shot at the mine until it exploded. LOL I wonder if he got hazardous duty pay for that crummy job. The Russians prolly thought we were crazy but they were just happy to not have hit the dang thing as they had little in the way of support out there. Eventually they just started falling into formation with us when we were transitting in and out of the Gulf, for their own protection. It got to the point that we gave them their own callsign, "India", and gave them regular navigation reports. BTW, "India" stood for Ivan.

The Gulf is a nasty place to operate, and a perfect place to lay mines. Its a bad place for subs.........

[edit on 20-5-2005 by Pyros]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I remember at the time seeing Navy personel shooting them from the main decks with M14s.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I remember at the time seeing Navy personel shooting them from the main decks with M14s. Thinking to myself..good grief...did they get these mines at yard sales.

Yes ..a modern type mine is something very different. This is not to say that olde style mooring contact mines are not dangerous..they most certainly are.
Seems to me too..that they recalled back into service some of the last of the wooden minesweepers.

Thanks for some great posts Pyros.
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
contrary to the previous reports that mass production of the ghadir had started in the mid-04, apparently, the production line was established and inaugurated by the president in his last visit to Bandar Abbas city, the source goes on to say that they cost each 17-18$ million.

I believe they are very handy in case iranians want to close the Strait of Hormuz.

I read somewhere that It's stealth feature was tested in the last military manouvers by successfuly approaching US naval ships without detection.
so I guess military people liked it, so they decided to mass produce it.

They can lay dozens of mines in the gulf and the strait but I'm just wondering if these toys could sink US Nimtiz carrier, US navy nuclear submarines?

my second question, how many do they need before they could be effectively used to disable us fleet in the persian gulf?

just to save time for those new to this thread, Ghadir submarine is classified as a stealthy submarine and it can fire both torpedos and missiles.

Here we go, some excellent closeup pictures from Ghadir

RESPECT

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Your kidding about this right??

Just curious as to how much you think I know by looking at these pictures??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Orange. I would imagine you know a whole lot just from looking at those pics as you have the trained eye

That thing looks like some toy mini sub. how many mines can they even carry considering it looks pretty small? How well will it evade subhunter aircraft with sonar arrays?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yikes that sub looks awfully small. Probably best for mine laying. I think Iran should of asked the Chinese for their Yuans (semi-new submarine that stumped the United States, because it was damn secret until photos of it leaked onilne)

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
So, what torpedoes would this thing use? Anything dangerous to a modern western navy?

Steve

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by persian
These are the pictures of new Iranian subs that Iran showed yesterday in the naval exercises that its currently happening in Persian Gulf.

This submarine is designed to remain undetected and can fire missiles and torpedoes at the same time

Aren't all submarines designed to be undetected. Your statment is unproven.
Is the Persian Gulf / Arabian Sea very deep? I would think the shallower the water the harder it would be to run quiet. The only time that you know you weren't quiet enough is when the torpedo hits you.

And it will probably be from one of these
USS Virginia

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Please tell me the green submarine is a tech demonstrator!

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Aren't all submarines designed to be undetected. Your statment is unproven.
Is the Persian Gulf / Arabian Sea very deep? I would think the shallower the water the harder it would be to run quiet. The only time that you know you weren't quiet enough is when the torpedo hits you.

And it will probably be from one of these USS Virginia

The smaller the sub, the less noise it makes. The less noise it makes, the more stealthy it becomes. And even if the US has sub-detection techniques, what are they going to destroy the Ghadir with? The Persian Gulf is too shallow for nuclear sub operations, and their ASW aircraft can be shot down by Iranian SAMs along the coastline. Plus, the Ghadir is not the only Iranian vessel that can lay mines and launch anti-ship missiles.

Originally posted by supertran
Please tell me the green submarine is a tech demonstrator!

iran has already commissioned as many as two of these subs.

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Just curious as to how much you think I know by looking at these pictures??

well, it's probably an upgraded version of the NK midget sub. The resemblence of Ghadir is very similar to the NK sub, shown below. I bet there's been a hell lot of coo from Russia and China.

M100-D Midget Submarine
Length : 18.8m
Width : 2.7m
Displacement : 76t
Displacement (Under Water) : 88t
Draught : 2.5m
Main Engine : Electric Motor X 2 (Single Shaft : 68hp)
Max Speed : 6Kn
Max Speed (Under Water) : 7.4Km/h
Crew : 4 + 8
Special hatches were equipped in the bottom of M-100D Midget Submarine.
M-100D was able to take out the special attack team outside unoticed
on the surface of the sea.

RESPECT

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by proprog
And even if the US has sub-detection techniques, what are they going to destroy the Ghadir with? The Persian Gulf is too shallow for nuclear sub operations, and their ASW aircraft can be shot down by Iranian SAMs along the coastline. Plus, the Ghadir is not the only Iranian vessel that can lay mines and launch anti-ship missiles.

Yeah the US has no way to detect subs

Maybe you should lookup ANISQQ ASW systems. The USN can use a few frigates and a couple destroyers.

Why wouldn't a nuclear sub be able to operate in the gulf? I know it's shallow and all, but if a sub has depth to submerge its power source shouldnt matter? Maybe Orangetom can comment, but I would think nuke subs have and can operate in the gulf

So proprog are you a propaganda operative for Iran or something

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
SSNs can operate in the Gulf. All sonar will be degraded somewhat by the shallow water, but there's no reason that an SSN can't operate in there. Especially the Virginia. She was designed for operations in areas like the Gulf.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
SSNs can operate in the Gulf. All sonar will be degraded somewhat by the shallow water, but there's no reason that an SSN can't operate in there. Especially the Virginia. She was designed for operations in areas like the Gulf.

There is the possibility of USN sub present in Arabian Sea or Indian ocean but not in strait of hormuz or persian gulf. To enter the PG, they would have to pass thru the Strait of Hormuz, and all the movment in hormuz strait both from surface and sub-surface is under constant monitoring by Iran. The strait is narrow and shallow making it very hard for nuclear subs to pass thru.

RESPECT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I almost guarantee that if they really put the time and effort into it, they could creep through there and no one would know. The new Seawolf and Virginia class SSNs are at LEAST as quiet as the Ohio SSBNs, and there was NEVER a case of an Ohio being tracked for longer than a couple of hours, and that only happened once or twice, after someone on the Ohio made a mistake and gave themselves away.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
So, what torpedoes would this thing use? Anything dangerous to a modern western navy?

Iran builds locally-designed torpedos

"Iran's marine units have now achieved an effective weapon with a complicated and modern technology in confronting surface and under-sea threats," Shamkhani said, adding the torpedoes could be mounted on helicopters, surface vessels and submarines." Some of the important features of this weapon are the possibility to use it in shallow waters, without being spotted by radars, as well as its extraordinarily high speed, while being notably cost-effective," he said.

www.rense.com...

RESPECT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I almost guarantee that if they really put the time and effort into it, they could creep through there and no one would know. The new Seawolf and Virginia class SSNs are at LEAST as quiet as the Ohio SSBNs

one way is to keep the sub under a ship, but we are talking about a 130 by 15 m nuclear sub. and it's just too risky. if it gets hit by one of the iranian torpedos, or crashes with one of iranian subs present in the strait, we'll have a mess in the strait, basically bringing the oil shipment to a halt.

RESPECT
[edit on 24-1-2006 by proprog]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I try to find the vid clip of iranian sub in the the recent military manoeuvre. the greenish blue ghadir sub goes below the water surface, 3~ 4 metres down, it fades away in the water of PG. awesome.

RESPECT

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Those Iranian U-Boats are like the ones the Japanese had back in WW2.
Not bad but i thought they would have had some bigger SSN or somthin.

They would come useful for SF units like the Navy Seals, SBS, SAS n stuff like that. The SEALS do have somthin like it, I think its called a 'SEAL Delivery Vehicle (S.D.V.) not sure.

Anyone heard of the British WW2 X Craft?, Its similar to this thing and was used for the first British Commandos/S.O.E.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join