It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New iranian Sub

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
These are the pictures of new Iranian subs that Iran showed yesterday in the naval exercises that its currently happening in Persian Gulf.

This submarine is designed to remain undetected and can fire missiles and torpedoes at the same time

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Any chance you can post some specs on it? It'd be nice to know how many they currently have, how many men it can carry/needs to be operational, range, etc.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
persian has not posted the specs on this vessel because the specs remain unpublished, at the moment.
The sub appears to not be of the Kilo-class*, but I found an article on this:
Iran launches submarine production

TEHRAN: Iran on Tuesday officially launched the production of its first locally built submarine, a craft capable of operating stealthily, state-run television reported. Defence Ministry spokesman Mohammad Imani was quoted as saying "the enemy would not be able to detect the submarine." He did not elaborate.

One submarine has apparently already been built and was shown on television on Tuesday, cruising at sea level. The Defence Ministry has commissioned an unspecified number of the craft that’s been dubbed "Ghadir." Ghadir is a site in the Arabian Peninsula that’s holy to Shias, the overwhelming majority of Iran’s 69 million people.

The submarine, which is capable of operating in the Persian Gulf and Oman seawaters, can launch both missiles and torpedoes at the same time, the television reported, without specifying the range of the projectiles.

A search on "Ghadir" yeilds nothing but references to the above linked article.

*Link to Iranian Warships

seekerof

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
You can never find a link when you want one.

There is another article out there somewhere that gives a little more information. The Ghadir is a 'mini-sub' apparently, more suited to ferrying troops than anything. It also stated that one had been delivered, but they had more in production.

I'll add the link after I retrace my steps.

Found it:

DefenseNews.com

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Duzey]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I also found one mention in a Qatar news source:
Iran making midget submarines: Report

seekerof

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
These Iranian subs are based on the Soviet Kilo Class diesel.

www.naval-technology.com...

Its the way the Soviets/Russians do this stuff, sell thier junk to other countries, just like the AK47. Its no different here.

Sep

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
TEHRAN, Iran -
Iran on Tuesday officially launched production of its first locally built submarine, a craft that can fire missiles and torpedoes at the same time, state-run television reported.

Defense Ministry spokesman Mohammad Imani was quoted as saying "the enemy would not be able to detect the submarine." He did not elaborate.

One submarine has apparently already been built and was shown on television Tuesday, cruising at sea level. The Defense Ministry has commissioned an unspecified number of the craft that's been dubbed "Ghadir." Ghadir is a site in the Arabian Peninsula holy to Shiite Muslims, the overwhelming majority of Iran's 69 million people.
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050511/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_submarine_2

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Sep]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Actually above picture is not ghadir, it’s a different kind of submarine and Iran has not released any info yet.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You guys are kidding about this right. Its sound signature is already known, identified , and catalogued. Gaurantee it!!!

What kind of submarine submerges with rattley olde hand rails hanging off the sail..it will make noise into the next county. Good Grief!! They must have gotten this at a yard sale.!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

You guys are kidding about this right. Its sound signature is already known, identified , and catalogued. Gaurantee it!!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

You talking about the Kilo??!!I think you're mistaken if you're talking about the Kilo..

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The Internal Russian Kilo's are incredibly quiet, it's export versions are still quite good.

There are certainly not "junk", but having said that though, China had trouble manning it's Kilos, i wonder where the Iranian submariners were trained?

cjf

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The Iranians began purchasing Italian made midget-subs back in the late 80’s and in the early 90’s purchased less than a dozen North Korean mini-subs to augment the smaller, yet growing, Kilo type 887 ‘fleet’ for patrols in the straits as a primary function of 'mine layers'. The current Iranian submarine production considered ‘knock-offs’ of the combined midget-subs.

Iran has also introduced the missile frigate, Sina 1, and is introducing the destroyer Mowj, to begin replacing their 50+ year old surface ‘fleet’ and begin to phase out reliance on foreign nations for production.

(video news source) Find: Iranian Made Midget Subs, flying boat (Real Player/Windows Media)

[edit on 16-5-2005 by cjf]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WissNX01
These Iranian subs are based on the Soviet Kilo Class diesel.

Its the way the Soviets/Russians do this stuff, sell thier junk to other countries, just like the AK47. Its no different here.

russian equipment maybe junk most often
but no need to diss the AK47 its a very good weapon

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You dont carry a bunch of stuff protruding from the deck and make any decent speed...proper submarines are clean hulls. Unblended protrusions cause cavitation and bubbles giving away your postition. You have to go deeper to reduce the cavitation signature and take advantage of seawater pressure. You still have the problem of making speed submerged especially with unfaired equipment strapped to the deck. ie..handrails...canisters .etc etc.

Thanks ,
Orangetom

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The Kilo class subs are super quiet... The Chinese just bought 8 of them and just got some Klub-S ASMs for it.

Hmm...I am wondering how much Russian tech went into this sub...must have been quite a lot, they probably took some things from the kilo and incorporated it into this sub.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
the USN does NOT know the acoustic signature of the Kilo class subs.. I just confirmed that..
In a recent (1 year back) naval exercise between the IN and the USN, the USN requested the indians field their kilos but the Indians promptly declined the offer..

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I do not think that the evolution of these diesel-electric submarines should be of much concern compared to the development of nuclear submarines. This subject was discussed in a book Tom Clancy wrote (not one of his fiction stories either) concerning SSNs hunting diesel-electric submarines like the kilo.

The story was about the hunting of an Algerian kilo in the Straits of Gibraltar by a British Trafalgar-class nuclear boat. One point made about these kind of boats is:"Most folks do not realize that a diesel boat is actually just a mobile minefield. It simply does not havethe stratigic mobility or the sustained speed of a nuclear boat, a simple fact that is lost on critics of nuclear submarines."

The book goes on to describe that the Straits are miserable hunting grounds, but one advantage the T-boat [The Trafalgar] would have over the diedel is the huge active sonar array. Add to that, in areas with flat bottoms, a active sonar technique is used called "bottom bounce" that skips the sonar off the bottom to contact almost silent submarines at ranges beyond 10,000 yards without giving itself aaway to the contact (all the skips bouncing off the floor would allow the T-boat to remain undetected).

That quote by "Seekerof" that said:"the enemy would not be able to detect the submarine" and the lack of elaboration is misleading. Should the captain of the kilo decide to wait it out on the bottom or use the stealthy silence of the boat to avoid persuing forces, he would have a bleak outlook for sucess. "With the on-station loiter time granted by its nuclear powerplant, the Kilo will be out of battery power and supplies to run her environmental control systems long before the beer runs out in the wardrooms of the T-boat. Inevitalbly, the Kilo will have to make a run for it, and that's the time to kill... Unlike the previous scenarios, in which the nuclear boats could outmaneuver them [torpedos], the Kilo just does not have that option. It's relatively" slow speed makes it something of a sitting duck..."(Roles and Missions, Tactical Example-Hunting a diesel Submarine).

Clancy, Tom. Submarine, A Guided Tour Inside a Nuclear Warship:Berkley, 1993.

Of course, this book was written in 1993 as the citation shows. And this example is only submarine against submarine, I do not know how one of these little boats would do against a surface ship. I cannot imagine that the capabilities of diesel submarines have advanced that far to be able to allow it to be a viable threat. Of course, feel free to educate me should anyone has different/newer info.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wouldn't a seawolf or LA class blow that thing out the water in about 15 mintes flat?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
the USN does NOT know the acoustic signature of the Kilo class subs.. I just confirmed that..
In a recent (1 year back) naval exercise between the IN and the USN, the USN requested the indians field their kilos but the Indians promptly declined the offer..

Where is the confirmation? Just because they requested the fielding of Kilos it means they have not the acustic signature?

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
well what it means is that they are "interested" in the vessel.. and such military interest only arises when one wants to learn more about the subject at hand..
I don't think such requests are made unless there is something the US desires to know about the sub..
requests for fielding SPECIFIC units in an exercise aren't ussually placed..

And as for the capability of a kilo (don't know about other d/e subs) w.r.t. a nuc powered sub.. the kilo can detect its adversary at 2 to 3 times the distance the adversary can..That holds for something.. esp when the subs are deployed in a defensive role and are not "scrambled" so to say to a far off destination..

nuke subs obv. are flexible in deployment due to their inherent "longevity " at sea..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join