It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Echelon Project?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What is Echelon? I was playing this game about world conspiracy where the world is under one government and they mention some real things such as SETI but they also metioned something about Echelon II (games called The moment of silence) I searched some information about Echelon on google and surprisingly it is the same thing as it was in the game. It's supposedly some national eavesdropping project used by various satellite dishes around the world to capture communication etc. Does anyone know more about it or if it's really legal? Or is this part of the "Shadow government"?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's spy stuff. they do eavesdrop on yourcommunications like your phones calls stuff like that. it exist. the Us use it to spy on it's own citzens.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Echelon is a billion-dollar+ world wide surveillance network sysem which automatically searches e-mails and faxes for keywords. Even phone calls are analyzed by digital means. With voice detection, it is possible to identify the person speaking. No matter which device you use, Echelon records your call. All information gathered is later analyzed by secret service personnel, in such organisations as the NSA.

One of the most important surveillance posts is situated in Germany. From there, the NSA eavesdrops on wireless communications in central Europe. The largest surveillance site can be found in Great Britain. Satellites are overheard, as are microwave links. Even deep sea cables are not safe from being eavesdropped on, as special submarines are deployed to tap these communication links.

There are indications that this collected information is also used to reveal corporate secrets. The NSA is suspected of providing US companies with information about their competitors.

The source of most of the information about Echelon is the document Development Of Surveillance Technology And Risk Of Abuse Of Economic Information. It was published by the European Parliament in April 1999.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
What about cellular, satellite phone, or say even VOIP? I would think VOIP would be much harder to trace due to the fact the phone service is uses via internet therefore voice is sent as packets. By the way don't think I'm using this as means for illegal activity. I played a game based on world conspiracy and never figured Echelon (referred to as Echelon II in game) was a real project. Funny thing is off topic here a bit, in the game due to details being leaked in 2012 the NSA is disolved and Echelon II is scrapped but a new system is implented while "messengers" replace cell phones and computers are forced to use one internet network where people are tracked via satellite by their messengers. Yeah it's probably not realistic but just the things they talk about the game and the fact that SETI was used for government purposes of eavesdropping in game again is pretty interesting, I guess you always learn something new eh?

[edit on 15-5-2005 by pill]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Echelon was designed to intercept ANY form of electronic communication, including VOIP; but given it's somewhat newer I wouldn't think it would be as sophisticated. Regarding cellular phones, you don't even need something as involved as Echelon for that.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Echelon is perhaps the most powerful intelligence gathering organization in the world. Several credible reports suggest that this global electronic communications surveillance system presents an extreme threat to the privacy of people all over the world. According to these reports, ECHELON attempts to capture staggering volumes of satellite, microwave, cellular and fiber-optic traffic, including communications to and from North America. This vast quantity of voice and data communications are then processed through sophisticated filtering technologies.

This massive surveillance system apparently operates with little oversight. Moreover, the agencies that purportedly run ECHELON have provided few details as to the legal guidelines for the project. Because of this, there is no way of knowing if ECHELON is being used illegally to spy on private citizens.

www.echelonwatch.org...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Another Deus Ex fan?

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Or is this part of the "Shadow government"?

Im not sure, its probably being used by them as a tool. This is really just guess work by me cause im not really sure to be honest. I'll look into it for you if you want, ill U2U the information

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alushe
Another Deus Ex fan?

i play like a demo version of it and it only have 5 missions all take place in New york. i know it has something to do with MJ12 and stuff... and UNCTO (spell?) and your a bio dude lol

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow

Originally posted by Alushe
Another Deus Ex fan?

i play like a demo version of it and it only have 5 missions all take place in New york. i know it has something to do with MJ12 and stuff... and UNCTO (spell?) and your a bio dude lol

I played the original Deus Ex and it was incredibly good. I still think that Max Payne is a little better than Deus.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
No I'm not referring to Dues Ex. I'm referring to a game which isn't really that popular called The moment of silence. It has a crapload to do with conspiracy. Like certain places such as bermuda triangle, alaska uplink center, and SETI being used to eavesdrop on people. Other things include a world government and the news is being censored. It's illegal to have newspaper articles or books (they must be scanned digitally) and from there the government filters out what they feel is necessary. There are terrorist groups being framed to look bad, etc. It's a really good game, it's the adventure genre, so those of you that played adventure games back in the early 90's would love this. Heres a link for info on the game and some pictures it's pretty good though. Only cost me like 20 bucks at the local gamestore.

www.mobygames.com...

new topics

top topics

join