It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Freemason lodges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey all i had a quick question mainly for the freemasons. I was on buisness trip last week that took me too Iowa in Iowa city and ceeder rapids. While in ceeder rapids i saw the larges freemasonry building i had ever seen and a giant scottish right temple accross the street. Curious because I never knew they got that big i walked in and asked the clerk if it was the largest one in the country and he said as far as he knew it was one of the largest free mason buildings in the country and the guy down the street at the historical society said the same thing. So i was wondering where are all the massive free mason lodges located or if that building was kind of a one of kind type building.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cromwell
Hey all i had a quick question mainly for the freemasons. I was on buisness trip last week that took me too Iowa in Iowa city and ceeder rapids. While in ceeder rapids i saw the larges freemasonry building i had ever seen and a giant scottish right temple accross the street. Curious because I never knew they got that big i walked in and asked the clerk if it was the largest one in the country and he said as far as he knew it was one of the largest free mason buildings in the country and the guy down the street at the historical society said the same thing. So i was wondering where are all the massive free mason lodges located or if that building was kind of a one of kind type building.

Think that one is elaborate? If you ever get a chance to go to Jackson Hole WY, you can see one of the most expensive and elaborate masonic lodges in the country.

BTW, Wyoming is dick cheeney's home state, and when the lodge was finished, the runway at the local airport was extented and widened, to accomidate air force one and AF2. Coincidence, probably, but interesting nontehteless.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The size of a lodge may depend on a lot of things, including how many lodges, appendant (scottish/york rite) and concordant (OES, Shriners) bodies meet there, other activities or committees using the place, and even the wealth of the lodge. Some of the masons on this forum that have served as Master of their lodge can better tell you other activities which might require space. I know that many lodge rent our their facilities for functions such as plays, weddings, banquets and conventions as a way of generating income.

My lodge is a relatively large building. It is three stories and has HUGE floor space. When it was built in 1908, there were two masonic lodges meeting there, as well as an OES chapter, a Royal Arch and also a Knight Templar chapter. Today, only our lodge and a bethel of Job's daughters meets there. We have a huge building all to ourselves.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I dont know about other states, but i know that I spent some time in the Grand Lodge of New York in Manhattan, and it was a beautiful high rise in the heart of the city right by the avenue of the americas. If you were looking into beautiful architecture, that would be it... Lots of beautiful artwork, double decker lodge rooms ...

Grand Lodge of Ny ... check out this site... tell me what you think.

-aero

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aero
I dont know about other states, but i know that I spent some time in the Grand Lodge of New York in Manhattan, and it was a beautiful high rise in the heart of the city right by the avenue of the americas. If you were looking into beautiful architecture, that would be it... Lots of beautiful artwork, double decker lodge rooms ...

I HAVE seen pictures of the building! What I loved the most was the several lodge rooms they have, each with a different architectural theme! It is AWESOME, I hope one day to visit in person.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Not "one of a kind" by any stretch. Masonry is a very active organization and throughout the years has constructed some truly impressive structures to house the various groups and "Rites" that meet there...and most of these also allow wedding receptions, family reunions, business meetings, etc. to be held in their facilities.

Here are three that are truly impressive and have "virtual" tours that you can click on. The most impressive in my mind is the one in the tiny town of Guthrie Oklahoma. It literally LOOMS over the town. The other two are in Indianapolis and Washington DC.

Regards,

guthriescottishrite.org...

www.srmason-sj.org...

www.aasr-indy.org...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Any one know if there are large mason bulidings like that in the chicago land area. I asked the guy and he just gave me the name and number of the secratary for IL and a printout of lodge locations but the print out didnt really answer my question and i feel like an idiot calling up the secratary and asking where all the large buildings are.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Any one know if there are large mason bulidings like that in the chicago land area. I asked the guy and he just gave me the name and number of the secratary for IL and a printout of lodge locations but the print out didnt really answer my question and i feel like an idiot calling up the secratary and asking where all the large buildings are.

Chicago has a HUGE one.

www.skyscraper.org...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak

Chicago has a HUGE one.

www.skyscraper.org...

It says in the link that it was knocked down and i dont remember seeing that building ever.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

It says in the link that it was knocked down and i dont remember seeing that building ever.

Oops! My memory failed me. I was thinking of the huge Temple in Detroit.

Mea Culpa.

detroitmta.lodges.gl-mi.org...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I did some construction work in the Supreme Council building in D.C., That is a nice building.

Huge collection of books they have.

[edit on 15/5/05 by Skibum]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak
Oops! My memory failed me. I was thinking of the huge Temple in Detroit.
detroitmta.lodges.gl-mi.org...

WOW~!

Now THAT is an impressive temple. I can't believe how freaking HUGE it is.

top topics

join