It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where was God and what was He doing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was at my friend's house yesterday because I haven't seen her since graduation so I thought I'd stop by so I did.

Her brother is 8 and he's at the age when he's steadily asking questions about everything and anything. Right now he's into the theological questions about God- Who He is? Where did He come from? And so forth and so on.

She said he could ask me any question he wanted because I know a lot about religion. I was pretty angry because I didn't feel I wanted to theologize with an 8 year old.

But some of the questions he asked me made me think. It's real strange how we always argue about the bigger issues in religion but we never look at the common things.

He asked me if God had no beginning and if He's always been here then is the earth the first earth or were there other earth's? It sounds like a dumb question but I didnt know what to say because I never thought about it.

I want to know what you all think about it. How old is this earth compared to God?

And what was He doing before he created the earth, being that He's been here forever. So I believe He was here trillions trillions of years before He even created the earth. Did He create the earth because He was bored?

[Edited on 8-2-2003 by Illmatic67]

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'd love to give you an opinion man but these kinds of questions make my head hurt. We cannot comprehend infinity and so we will never understand God's nature (if in fact he exists). I imagine though that God was in the 4th Dimension.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The Earth wasn't created by a mystery god who waved his hand and made the ocean and then waved his hand and made the land, etc. but came into being by a natural process in the same way that all the other planets and stars came to be. I will say that there's a 'divine order' to that process, because our very contemplation of it and the preciseness of the universal laws is proof for it . All is a manifesation of Life, Mind and 'Spirit'.

All forms of matter and energy come about by the lowering of vibration until it becomes more dense. An easily grasped example of this would be vapour slowing to become water and water slowing to become ice. All things come about by a similiar process but on a higher scale or plane. The origin of All vibrates at probably an infinite rate and is itself infinite. John Nada is right. We will never be able to comprehend the very nature of the Most High, origin of All; at least with the conscious mind. So I guess you could say that "God" created the Universe and Earth. To say why "he" did it would be to say that you know THE purpose of existence, if there even is "a" purpose.

I'm sure that science has proven long ago that Earth is younger than many planets as far as your question is concerned. Scientists are now saying that there are so many Universes and so many billions of Suns in each one; that the chances of there being another planet out there that's almost EXACTLY like ours; is very probable.

Also, existence itself is infinite. There always had to be something; and when I say 'something' I don't necessarily mean something of lower vibrations such as solid matter, liquid, gas or even "energy"; but SOMETHING. Nothing comes from nothing and something comes from something. Mathematics can prove this: 0 + 1 = 1. If there was ever only 0 or nothing; then there could never be anything to add on to it. 0 + 0 = 0.

As far as dimensions go; I don't know a much about it. I do know that there are equations which can express the existence of the 4th dimension. Some say there are 7 dimensions some say 9. This will probably prove to be true as science catches up with esotericism and "Eastern" knowledge.

ONE

[Edited on 2-8-2003 by Tamahu]

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   
We can know what is unmeasurable- God. He created Time in the first place- that is enough to wrap the mind around!

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 08:39 AM
link   
And, he created time specifically for us humans, which means that time played no part and was inconsequential before us. We've been here approximately 6k years. Sounds hard to believe? So does the idea of no time!

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
"It sounds like a dumb question ":
most perceptive, Ill-M: I should have stopped there and urged the little tot to read, or play, or practise the piano.
TC has given, albeit it tersely, the generally accepted answer in Christian circles for the last millennium at least.
"Out of the mouths of babes.." I suppose and "suffer little children.." sounds as though you have done.
Thank heavens you forbore from "theologizing".

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
"I know a lot about religion"
you've been hiding your light under a bushel, you rascal you. I'd never have guessed.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I believe that God not only created this Earth, as we call it, but also created other type "earths." He created "us" in His image and likeness and I have come to think that God has also created others in the same manner, excluding this Earth.

Infinity cannot be quantified and is unknowable. It is beyond imagine and defintion. In such....
God is Everything, God is All.
He is not bound by Time as we know it. To us, Time is the past, present, future and a way to measure the time it takes to get from 'here' to 'there.' It is quantitive.
God is only known to us by how we define and perceive His character and nature. It is from 'our' perceptions, our defintions, and how God has revealed Himself to us through the various groups and religions. God ultimately reveals Himself to us on a individual level....as it should be.
I believe, with all my being, that "we" are not the only creations of God that have come to know this God. Some of His creations are not as evolved as we are and some are more advanced than we are. I would think that as one is given revelations of God (ie: knowledge, etc.), it becomes apparent that God is far beyond what "we" know Him to be according to "our" holy texts, etc. In such, God is "All that is" and "All that is not"....simply the "All."

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by Seekerof]

[Edited on 3-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
I was at my friend's house yesterday because I haven't seen her since graduation so I thought I'd stop by so I did.

Her brother is 8 and he's at the age when he's steadily asking questions about everything and anything. Right now he's into the theological questions about God- Who He is? Where did He come from? And so forth and so on.

He asked me if God had no beginning and if He's always been here then is the earth the first earth or were there other earth's? It sounds like a dumb question but I didnt know what to say because I never thought about it.

I want to know what you all think about it. How old is this earth compared to God?

And what was He doing before he created the earth, being that He's been here forever. So I believe He was here trillions trillions of years before He even created the earth. Did He create the earth because He was bored?

[Edited on 8-2-2003 by Illmatic67]

Dear Sir
First of all are you sure that woman is your friend? Sounds like she set you up to take her fall, my wife used to pull that crap on me with the kids all the time! And alway's out of the blue, like when I come home from work tired and beat to a pulp. Oh the good old days, there good cause there gone,
Let's see if I can remember any answeres that I used. These high fa'lutin thinkres here would make the kid not want to believe in God, you gotta go back to basics not what you think. But what he will accept with out to much questiong at that age.
You get a little heavier gradually and less your gonna grab one of those many religous books and brain wash him right out of the gate. Train him like a dog so he grows up speaking what he is supposed to instead of thinking, no I don't think so. Let me take a minute here.

He is the creator of all, he is in everything and everywhere.
He is what makes your ice cream taste good!
Where did he come from? The same place you did, you were just a twinkle in your mothers eye before you were suddenly you, God came from a twinkle also. Now the question is where was that twinkle at, and that is what we do as men as we grow.we try to get closer to God so we can figure where his twinkle came from. Thats why we talk to God when we lay down and say the Lord's prayer. So we can figure out with the part of him that is in us where his twinkle came from.
See where I'm going with this, you can't give him an answer cause you just don't know, thats why they call it faith!
But you can't tell him that he's freak'in eight, lrt him think about in a good way. Don't go bring'in heaven and hell into it you'll scare him and he will belive in God thru fear, ain't that wonderfull! When he asks you a question close your eyes and go back in time and be simple almost mythical almost magic keep it simple. And don't quote me or I'll never give you any advice again!

Good Luck Brother You Need It

Tut

are you sure she's your friend, you better straighten her out to
tut tut

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, your kinda close. God created all of this and we have kept on creating for one reason.

God wanted to experience. God wanted to know about himself. We are all the spirit of God.

In the meaning of "time" this planet has been here a very short time. The Bible teaches of the 7 days of creation. Those days are subject to interpretation. A day could have been a billion years in the meaning of God's kingdom.

I guess you noticed that when you were being asked questions from an eight year old boy who has not been influenced that much from religion yet that you a very religious person could not answer such questions.

Most religions teach part of the answer. Most have been changed within through the years. Each to support what it is preaching. All head in the right direction, but most leave out a lot of the story or the story has been changed to keep such religion going.

Look inside of yourself. The answers are there and all around you. WE are living in God's kingdom, we are all part of God.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Amusing how you really believe you can make a valid statement about God with your little silly human brains. (don't get all agressive, I have one of those too)

You make me remember myself at the age of 6 speculating that the only planet Et's could possibly come from would be Mercury, only to grow up and understand I had no idea what I was talking about.

You are just human, how can you even think you know that God exists, let alone justify his behaviour.
Oh well...

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Antichrist
Amusing how you really believe you can make a valid statement about God with your little silly human brains. (don't get all agressive, I have one of those too)

You make me remember myself at the age of 6 speculating that the only planet Et's could possibly come from would be Mercury, only to grow up and understand I had no idea what I was talking about.

You are just human, how can you even think you know that God exists, let alone justify his behaviour.
Oh well...

Its called "ontological necessity".......
Understanding is a matter of subjective judgements.
Its truly "amazing" that you continue to deny when Everything says otherwise........

www.geocities.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Simple. Beginnings and ends are man-made ideas... Everything in nature and the universe is in cycles...including the universe itself. So, to answer your question...the Earth is as old as it is (most estimates at like 5 billion or so...been a while since I thought about it, so could be off there), and God (or cosmic force, etc.) has always been. Absolutely, there have been (and likely still are) many other "earth-like" worlds, and likely, even universes...constantly expanding, then collapsing, and birthing anew...just as stars do, etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
"You are just human, how can you even think you know that God exists, let alone justify his behaviour.
Oh well... "

How can we justyify his behavior. If you don't know God exists you are not listening to your soul. That is God talking to you.

Just hyman? We all have God's spirit in us.

God is love.

new topics

top topics

join