It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia developing new aircraft carrier.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
MOSCOW. May 15:

The Russian Navy is launching a project to develop a new aircraft carrier, the navy's commander Admiral Vladimir Kuroyedov told Interfax.

"We are beginning work to develop a new aircraft carrier in 2005. Construction is to begin after 2010," Kuroyedov said.

"We are launching this development project and will involve leading experts to find out which materials and weapons we'll need and how many aircraft carriers should be built," he said.

Kuroyedov earlier told journalists that the navy is planning to put the new carrier into service in the Northern Fleet by 2016-17. Another carrier will be built for the Pacific Fleet, he said. "Deck aviation has a good future. A new multi-purpose aircraft will be created in a few years," Kuroyedov said.

The Russian Navy currently has only one aircraft-carrying cruiser, the Admiral Kuznetsov.

Article to proposed aircraft carrier

Here is a great article to Russia's past Aircraft Carrier programs:
A Brief Look at Russian Aircraft Carrier Development
The State of the Russian Navy

external image
This is the Orel Ul'yanovsk class, an old cancelled aircraft carrier design/proposal, from GlobalSecurity.org. I presented it because it would have been the largest Russian aircraft carrier to be considered and/or built. I'm wondering what the new proposed Russian aircraft carrier will look like and be sized in relation to.
More can be found here:
World Aircraft Carrier Lists: From 1913-2001

Of further interest:
Russian Navy Links

Information on this new proposed Russian Aircraft Carrier are limited and seemingly hard to find more on. If anyonecan provide more, then please do.
Thanks.

seekerof

[edit on 15-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Nice link, but just more brave talk from our Russian friends?

I seem to remember that the Kuznetsov was built in two halves, joined together, and proved itself to be unseaworthy during trials.

If this new thing is built I would guess that it would be to sell to the Indians or Chinese; a carrier needs a flotilla of ships for support that the
Russian navy can't staff or keep at sea. It makes little sense.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
When I was in service, my unit was stationed on the USS America for 3 days doing operations of Taiwan.

I asked a bridge Lt. Cmdr. why the Russian's had not built an aircraft carrier along the lines and size of the US carriers. His response was that they [the Russians] did not comprehend how to do flightdeck and aircraft storage [hangerdeck] 'tiedowns.'

Here is a picture of one:

Left-hand bottom corner.

This may be some sort of running Navy joke, but may be somewhat true. I understand the Chinese are having the same problems.

seekerof

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Apparently there was a treaty in place for a long time, not sure if it still is, which prohibited the USSR from operating aircraft carriers. I think this was to do with the straits turkey controls giving access to the black sea. Essentially, Turkey wouldn't allow anything larger than a cruiser to pass through her waters, which were vital for the USSR to support her black sea/mediterranean fleet. So the russians classified their carriers as "heavy cruisers" instead of carriers. They had 3 in operation at one time, the Kiev class:

www.fas.org...

I wonder if they'll call this new one a heavy cruiser as well, or if they'll scrap that policy and go whole hog on a new carrier-based form of fleet?

-koji K.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
uh the black sea isnt what i'd call a very good place for a carrier, really its obsurd to think of doing that when their airforce can easily cover the area mentioned by you.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by namehere]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
uh the black sea isnt what i'd call a very good place for a carrier, really its obsurd to think of doing that when their airforce can easily cover the area mentioned by you.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by namehere]

well, there's this little body of water called the mediterranean, which i hear has some strategic value...

-koji K.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
A quick question for someone with carrier experience:

I was told that during th e 60's there were certain circumstances in port where in order to postition the ship, aircraft were tied down on deck, pointed port or starboard, and thier engines run up to turn the ship!

True or a tall story?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The story is bogus, Realist05.
Probably along the lines of the one I gave.

seekerof

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Realist05,

There was incidents of this very thing happening, but it wasn't in the 60s, it was in the 50s, around the period of the Korean war. When the CVs would come into port, the CO would have two lines of Propeller driven aircraft strapped down on deck, one line to port, the other to starboard at the rear section of the carrier, once coming into port, I think it was mainly used at US's Japanese port, due to the size restriction and the lack of space for the carrier to turn. The Captain used the aircraft to postion the carrier in the same way that bow and stern thrusters are used today.

I have never heard of jet aircraft being used for the same purpose.

- Phil

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I E-mailed my friend for confirmation of his story, don't know if he was talking props or jets but did say it was for menouver in ports without tugboat assistance. I think he was stationed on the Oriskany or something smaller than a Forrestall class.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What I got back was this:

"Usually the air wing would fly to shore before our ship would make port at a friendly station, and fly back out when we were headed out. In the early 60's we would depart San Diego and by North Island practice Pinwheeling, which involved stapping down some Skyraiders and using the thrust from thier engines to move the bow sideways when we were at all stop."

Just passing it on.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
::nods::

I have heard the same, but it was Corsair during the 1950s, my grandfathers friend was a naval pilot with the yanks, I remembered listening to stories of how pissed off the CAG would get because the Captain would use his planes to "shift" the boat while in port, it had a habit of over heating the engine and making it hell for the repair crews to get them operational again.

- Phil

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If you will watch the movie, The Bridges at Toko-Ri, you will observe this procedure being used to position the Oriskany which was used in this film.

new topics

top topics

join