It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i think this question is harder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by this is yellow 13
An investor trading through a discount stock broker that charges $10.00 Dollars per transaction bought 200 shares of classified Corporation at $50.00 Dollars per share. The stock quickly increased in value by 50%, but then lost 40% of its value. The investor sold the stock. How much money did the investor gain or lose?

He loses $1020.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ok... I will try to prove my point. The earth rotates counterclockwise on its axis (when looked from the north pole)(west to east). Therefore it seems that the sun moves along the sky East to West. We divided the earth into 24 (whole hour) times zones with 12 lines. That means by standing on each time zone line you could celebrate new years eve 2x in 1 hour and 1 min. But we can also do the same thing by crossing each date from east to west to keep up with the change in time. Other sationary places you can do this is at each geographic poles of the earth. Therefor there are 14 stationary places on earth you can "stand on" to celebrate new years eve 2x in 1 hour and 1 min. Although if your close enough to the borders... you can cross then to get the same effect.

P.S. Each offical time zones doesn't count. Only the big ones that seperate the earth in hourly zones.

[edit on 15-5-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Ok... I will try to prove my point.

I understand your reasoning
You never said stationary in your initial post tho

We divided the earth into 24 times zones with 12 lines.

As I demonstrated, there are actually 38 international timezones which means there are 19 lines, so there are 19 places on earth by your reconning.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
ok lets start

richard your right with the riddle

sci fi
i can see your points are true and i have gone balnk
will edit after i can thiink again

ok i have confused my self with time and date lines sorry

[edit on 15-5-2005 by this is yellow 13]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Thanks This is yellow 13, you found a great pic:

So if you count the above time zones, there are 24 different zones, separated by 12 circles. But those circles are divided into 2 at each pole (I didn't think about that). So there are technically 24 different lines separating each zone. That plus 2 more at the poles makes 26 locations on earth which you can celebrate New year eve twice within 1 hour 1 min. I hope this finally settles the matter. lol

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

ok i have confused my self with time and date lines sorry

[edit on 15-5-2005 by this is yellow 13]

I wouldnt worry too much, I did at first

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
right the matter over time is solved i have fixed the date and time lines so i will post a new riddle a nd please no fights

A scientist is experimenting with bacteria that are one micron in diameter and that reproduce by dividing every minute into two bacteria. At 12:00 PM, he puts a single organism in a container. At precisely 1:00 PM, the container is full.

At what time was the container half full and
to make it harder what size was the container

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Thanks This is yellow 13, you found a great pic:

So if you count the above time zones, there are 24 different zones, separated by 12 circles. But those circles are divided into 2 at each pole (I didn't think about that). So there are technically 24 different lines separating each zone. That plus 2 more at the poles makes 26 locations on earth which you can celebrate New year eve twice within 1 hour 1 min. I hope this finally settles the matter. lol

Actually, that picture shows around 30 countable timezones
and 24 visable lines

I agree that officially there are 24 timezones (each at 15deg), but in practice, there are a lot more than that as countries have placed themselves into 30 minute deviations of the standards.

[edit on 15/5/2005 by RichardPrice]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

right the matter over time is solved i have fixed the date and time lines so i will post a new riddle a nd please no fights

A scientist is experimenting with bacteria that are one micron in diameter and that reproduce by dividing every minute into two bacteria. At 12:00 PM, he puts a single organism in a container. At precisely 1:00 PM, the container is full.

At what time was the container half full and
to make it harder what size was the container

The container was half full at 12.59pm

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
yes that is the easy part now

how big was the container by the way this is very hard so feel free to weep as you work it out

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
you dont need to get it perfect no one could do that
just get it near it and you win

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
1.152921504606846976x10^18 units Total

Half full was at 12:59

The size of the dish was: around 1073m x 1073m for a square dish layering of only one bacteria (this seems way to big so its probably wrong... maybe)

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Brain hurt:

1.153×10^6 cc or just over 1m^3

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
1,152,921,504,606,846,976 end units

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
omg

dam you are good that is exactly right you should go on that who wants to be a million air show

but i would have accepted just over i cubic meter so you deserve a beer

:w::w:

you got it about a week quicker than it took me

by the way seek a doctor for super large brain syndrome

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
hey I was right also... 1073m x 1073m squate dish with bacteria layering of only one is equal in volume to about 1 cubic meter in volume. I just gave you a dish meausured mainly by length and width. You just said how big the dish was... you never said area or volume...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Rather tame one for you:

A horse is tied to a 25meter long rope, and is 30 meters from a bail of hay, yet the horse can eat from the hay - how?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The diameter of the circle made by the radius of 25meters is 50 meters. So if the horse if 30 meters away from the hay, but the center is closer then 25 meters the horse can eat the hay.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
lol its a bungee rope it stretches

lol oh god i killing my self

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

lol its a bungee rope it stretches

lol oh god i killing my self

What I said is correct though, even if the rope is not elastic...

<< 1    3  4 >>

join